z

Young Writers Society

Collegiate Research Paper #1

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:18 pm
Dream Deep says...

Yuppers. First one of the semester.

And I'm at a bit of a loss. Well, not on the research aspect of it - I'm more than prepared to ramble on - but more on the format of it. Courier New or Times? Double-spaced or Single? Header? Footer? Footnotes?

I have, of course, written research papers throughout high school, but I worry that the university will be expecting something rather different in form. Thoughts or examples from some of you slightly less sheltered students would be endlessly appreciated.

:smt004
Last edited by Dream Deep on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:30 pm
Via says...

Ooo formatting! Yum! What is your paper on?

Anyway, this is what I have learned:

Times New Roman, 12pt font, 1" margins (yes, you will have to change them), double spaced. Most teachers will probably want your last name and page number on the header on the right side.

Remember that paper titles are not bold, italicized, on made any larger than 12pt font, no matter how tempting it may be.

Works Cited page...you will have to find out if the professor wants it MLA, ALA, etc. style...most of mine are MLA.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:48 pm
Dream Deep says...

Property research. :P What piece of land so-and-so bought from someone else in such-and-such a year on whatever terms for 'x' amount of money after dividing the land into however many tracts measuring each however many acres and perches going all the way back to 1811. An intensely sucktastic project, all things considered, haha.

Thanks very much for the pointers, Via. You have my eternal gratitude. ^_^

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:50 pm
Via says...

Wow. That...could possibly be one of the most boring papers ever hehe. Good luck on making that interesting! :)

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm usually pretty good about things concerning research papers!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:16 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hey, hon,

Your professor, unless you are in a psych class, will want your paper formatted MLA style. Here is a great website on MLA: MLA Formatting and Style Guide from OWL @ Purdue.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or whatnot.

Ta,
Kelle.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

I want to see people turn and writhe; make them feel things they cannot see and sometimes do not know.
— Anna Held