Young Writers Society

Public Speaking (again)

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 pm
View Likes
Alainna says...

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a topic to do my speech on again! This time it is for a competition and I only have one minute in which to talk.

I need some inspiration as at the moment my ideas are boring.

What I don't want is anything typical (I have a list of about 520 speech topics which come under 'typical') so the more original or random the better.

Thank you so much!

Alainna
xxx

P.S Please help!!
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:24 am
JFW1415 says...

I feel obliged to help. I will just think out loud (or out type...?) so don't shoot me if my ideas are stupid. :)

It could be why not all parents deserve to be parents - how it shouldn't be a right, it should be a privilege. Or that kids (or teens) should be able to have more of a say in whether they see their parents or not. Or if the court really determines these things well (if my judge said that even if my father was a murderer I would be forced to stay over his house, they don't seem to be doing a very good job.)

Haha... you can see where my mind is right now. But really - a lot of parents don't deserve to be parents. But they gave birth/sperm - people say that they have the right to pretty much anything.

Oh, and a police officer said this to me - 'A parent has the right to discipline their child, even physically, within reason.' In New Hampshire, unless a parent breaks a kid's bones or knocks them unconscious, nothing happens - it's not considered abuse. And if they do do that, the kid will usually end up with them again - with the abusive parents.

Haha. I kind of hate court right now. ;)

Oh! And stuff about the Internet in court. That Tyler guy didn't get in much trouble 'cause he didn't tell me to go on YouTube and look at the videos, but it's YouTube - everyone looks! They need to update laws to fit the Internet, because it's changing everything. People can be too anonymous. They have more courage to do bad things - threats - and then that gives them courage to do it in real life, too. The Internet has changed the world, but the court won't change with it.

Yeah... I kind of have experience with both these things, so PM me for examples/questions/to rack my brain some more. :)

Good luck! And if you use either of my ideas, I'd *love* to see the final draft.

~JFW1415

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:47 am
chocoholic says...

What about 'Why guns should be banned in America?' Or 'Are reality shows physcologically damaging to contestants?'

Just a couple of thoughts.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

410 Reviews

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:13 am
Alainna says...

Thanks guys - you came up with some good ideas.

I've actually been told that I'm better off doing something light-hearted as I've only got one minute! So anything not quite as deep would be good but thanks again as I will keep them in mind.

Alainna
xxx

Got YWS?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:18 pm
View Likes
Leja says...

You could talk about lemmings! They're the catch-all topic for almost anything ^_^ And they're sooo cute!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:23 pm
Lynlyn says...

Ugly babies: is there such a thing?

Some guy on my old debate team did a really good two-minute speech on that. It was really cute/funny/lighthearted. (His answer was "no.")
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

410 Reviews

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:39 pm
Alainna says...

I like that idea Lynlyn!

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually did my speech yesterday morning and it went OK. I ended up doing it on Chewing Gum. :?

xxxx

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 pm
RedLeader115 says...

Why do teens fall in love so easily?

Or...

To read or not to read, is that even a question?

Or...

Music the food of the soul?

I did one on the last one. I received an A+

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm
HC says...

Chewing Gum isn't too bad - for one Speakers' Bank competition, we had to do a two minute speech, and I did mine on hobgoblins - and won. :P

they say money can't buy happiness, but what they don't realize is that money *can* buy novelty socks.
— blueca