z

Young Writers Society

World War I Literature

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:32 pm
View Likes
andimlovegalore says...

For my A2 English Lit course, we're doing some work on World War 1 and it involves a lot of outside reading. My teacher is a bit useless (he's kind of weird, a great teacher, but badly organised) and he'll never get round to telling us any reading lists.

Anyone know any really good WWI literature I could read? It would help me a lot =]

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:36 am
View Likes
Clo says...

Non-fiction or fiction?

If fiction, I really am in love with All Quiet on the Western Front. It was just beautiful, poetic, and tragic. I loved it anyway. I forget who writes it, but it's classic literature. I definitely suggest this read!
How am I not myself?

Reviews: 1
Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:33 am
View Likes
DwahnePipe says...

If your taking about poetry then a few poets are:
Wilfred Owen
Siegfried Sassoon
Richard Aldington
Edward Thomas
Isaac Rosenberg
Edmund Blunden
These poets are covered in the book 'Six Poets of The Great War', you may have studied it before.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:11 pm
View Likes
naturalog says...

If you're looking for non-fiction, I strongly recommend "Hey Yellowbacks!": The war diary of a conscientous objector by Ernest Meyer. He was a CO in one of the camps, and his experiences were really interesting. I read the book for a history course a while ago.

For fiction... yeah, All Quiet on the Western Front is good. Hemingway actually fought in the war...

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:13 am
View Likes
Medusa says...

A farewell to arms
The sun also rises

Both are my hemmingway who did not actually serve in the military but was an ambulance driver in the italian army outside of france

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:33 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

What are you looking for, exactly? I'm semi-versed on British poets specifically from the Great War; I'll second Owen and Sassoon for sure, too, and throw in Lyon's "I tracked a dead man down a trench". If you want reactions to the war, a really interesting one would be Mrs. Dalloway, but it takes a bit of time to read and decipher.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:31 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. I've never read it, but there is a wonderul movie based on the book. :lol:
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:10 pm
View Likes
Medusa says...

The Enormous Room, by EE Cummings.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright