z

Young Writers Society

My teacher and I disagree about this MLA format thing

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:48 pm
Summerless says...

In my English class we're learning how to cite quotes from Lord of the Flies. My teacher said I needed to redo the assignment because I put two extra commas in two different sentences. I don't think she is right...

I wrote

For example, when Eric and Sam were telling Jack and the others about the beast, Jack immediately says, "This'll be a real hunt! Who'll come?" (100).

I also wrote

In addition, when Ralph and the littluns were searching for the beast, Jack said, elatedly, about the rocks near the cliff, "Shove a palm trunk under that and if an enemy came--look!" (106).

The commas in red are what my teacher said should be omitted. Are they supposed to be omitted or not?
Last edited by Summerless on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 pm
Kaylyn says...

I think they are supposed to be omitted. Ewww... I hate Lord of the Flies. Such a gruesome book.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 pm
View Likes
JosephDean says...

The commas in red should be there. *nods* The "when....." part is a dependent clause and omitting the comma will create a run-on sentence. :)

Tell your teacher to put that in her textbook and proofread it. /lame Language Arts joke

haha

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:23 pm
Summerless says...

To Kaylyn:
Hahaha, yeah, I agree.
Such corrupt little boys. :'(

To JosephDean:
That's what I thought too.
I told her it was a dependent clause and told her that, but she told me I was wrong.

And hahaha. (I love lame jokes) ;D

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:21 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Your teacher really should be teaching history or science or something. She's probably better at that.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:10 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Your teacher is right. However, far better would be to rewrite the sentences since both are awkwardly constructed.

And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.
— Bartimaeus of Uruk