z

Young Writers Society

Ninth grade science HEEEELP!

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:35 pm
View Likes
Tabithalillian says...

Ok we are answering questions on our text books for science but these two questions I just cant get at all! aargg! they are like impossibly to find so I need some serious help. here are the questions:

How would you convers cm or inches to the SI units?

What SI units are used for volume, mass, length, time and tempature?

What are the prefixes in the SI units, what multiples of 10 do they represent?
Living in a tower

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:50 am
Snoink says...

1. Unit conversion! :D

There are 2.54 cm in an inch, I think. I memorized this, so I may be wrong. However! Assuming that value is correct, then you take your number of inches that you already have and convert it into centimeters, which is SI already.

So!

(Insert your number of inches here) * (2.54 cm)/(1 inch)

So basically you just have to multiply your inches with 2.54 if you want to convert it into centimeters. Centimeters is already in SI values though, so that's a little strange.

2. Memorize this:

Volume --> Liters. This is also known as meters cubed (m^3) but liters is the typical way of defining it, I think, for basic science. ^^

Mass --> Grams. In some science classes, like chemistry, they used mass and weight interchangeably, but in physics class, they didn't, so listen carefully to your teacher's definition on weight. ^^

Length --> Meters.

Time --> Seconds. This one is easy. ;)

Temperature --> Uh... this one is a little difficult. In the scientific system, we generally use the Kelvin scale, because the Centigrade scale is defined on two points of water at a certain pressure while Kelvin is not defined by pressure. But that may be getting too nit picky. It'll either be in Kelvin or in Centigrade (Celcius). Check your book on that.

3. Check this webpage out.

Basically, prefixes are easy ways to write out exponents. So instead of saying constantly that the cell is 9.00 * 10^(-9) meters thick, I can simply say that it is nine nanometers thick. Easier? Definitely. ;)

Hope that helped! If you have anymore questions, you can always PM me. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:57 pm
Lava says...

There are loads of prefixes

centi : 10 raised to -2
milli : 10 raised to -3
micro : 10 raised to -6
nano : 10 raised to -9
pico : 10 raised to -12
femto : 10 raised to -15
kilo : 10 raised to 3
mega: 10 raised to 6

There are more and you can use a search engine for it.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing