z

Young Writers Society

MLA siting/quoting

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:36 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

For some very strange reason my English prof is insisting on using MLA style for our next paper, even though it's harder to cite a website. Since I she hasn't gone over how to cite stuff, I'm asking.

I know you put the title of a long work in italics, and the title of a short work in quotation marks, but other then that I don't know.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:24 pm
Medusa says...

Type your paper on a computer and print it out on standard, white 8.5 x 11-inch paper,
Double-space the text of your paper, and use a legible font like Times Roman. The font size should be 12 pt.

Leave only one space after periods or other punctuation marks (unless otherwise instructed by your instructor).

Set the margins of your document to 1 inch on all sides. Indent the first line of a paragraph one half-inch (five spaces or press tab once) from the left margin.

Create a header that numbers all pages consecutively in the upper right-hand corner, one-half inch from the top and flush with the right margin. (Note: Your instructor may ask that you omit the number on your first page. Always follow your instructor's guidelines.)

Use either italics or underlining throughout your essay for the titles of longer works and, only when absolutely necessary, providing emphasis.

If you have any endnotes, include them on a separate page before your Works Cited page.

Do not make a title page for your paper unless specifically requested.

In the upper left-hand corner of the first page, list your name, your instructor's name, the course, and the date. Again, be sure to use double-spaced text.

Double space again and center the title. Don't underline your title or put it in quotation marks; write the title in Title Case, not in all capital letters.

Use quotation marks and underlining or italics when referring to other works in your title, just as you would in your text, e.g.,
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as Morality Play
Human Weariness in "After Apple Picking"

Double space between the title and the first line of the text.

Create a header in the upper right-hand corner that includes your last name, followed by a space with a page number; number all pages consecutively with Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), one-half inch from the top and flush with the right margin. (Note: Your instructor or other readers may ask that you omit last name/page number header on your first page. Always follow their guidelines.)
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

1272 Reviews

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Thanks. She's gone over all that stuff already.

The one thing she hasn't is how to cite things.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 pm
View Likes
Medusa says...

EXAMPLES OF CITING:

Website

Lynch, Tim. "DSN Trials and Tribble-ations Review." Psi Phi: Bradley's
Science Fiction Club. 1996. Bradley University. 8 Oct. 1997 <http://

www.bradley.edu/campusorg/psiphi/DS9/ep/503r.html>.

Book

Okuda, Michael, and Denise Okuda. Star Trek Chronology: The History
of the Future. New York: Pocket, 1993.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 am
fluteluvr77 says...

Well, it has to be at the end of the paper, and in general :

Name of Site. Date of Posting/Revision. Name of institution/organization affiliated with the site (sometimes found in copyright statements). Date you accessed the site [URL address].

Book:
Lastname, Firstname. Title of Book. Place of Publication: Publisher, Year of Publication.

And, sometimes at the end of sentences, you have to put
(author's last name, pg number) for books.

Hope this helped :)

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:48 am
Explosive_Pen says...

What Twin (aka fluteluvr77) said.
The (author's last name, page number) is in-text citation. You do that with websites too. It's : (website's URL, paragraph number).
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:58 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Okay, well, I've gone over this stuff now (check the date; it's three months old) but thanks anyway!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:08 am
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

Best site ever:

http://easybib.com

Or it might be .org...

But all you have to do is put in the information and it will put it into MLA format for you!
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:11 am
niteowl says...

I use www.easybib.com to do my works cited page. Don't ask me how I survived before it. Just type in what you know, and it formats it for you. Just make sure you get the citation information before you use the source, as it can be really time-consuming to go back and get it (trust me on this.)

And yes, there are parenthetical citations, but there aren't any commas: e.g. (Smith 45). And I do believe that you can just put the author in parenthetical citations for websites e.g. (Smith) because page numbers can vary by browser. If there are two authors, put both. e.g. (Smith and Barnes 67). If there are three or more, put the first person listed plus et al e.g. (Martin et al. 57). However, you have to put all the authors in the works cited entry.

If you have a long quotation, like four lines or more, it's set off from the paragraph with a one-inch margin and single spacing, with a parenthetical citation at the end of the quote.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:37 am
Rosendorn says...

Ohh, thank you for that site! I'll have to check it out.

As for any more help, it can stop now. I'm into APA style now. MLA papers are finished!

Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan