z

Young Writers Society

1984 Book Report.

Reviews: 1
Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:46 am
Enigmatic_Penguin says...

In my literature class,I chose to write about 1984. The writing portion is only part of the report, so that is why it was only supposed to be 1 page long. So I am just looking for a review to point out any errors. My teacher insists on documents being double space, so if you find anything that could be taken out, please point it out.

The book 1984 was written by the British author George Orwell in 1948.
This book, and his other Animal Farm, were written to criticize the soviet take over of Russia. I personally find that 1984 does this quite well, showing a futuristic dystopia, where the government is omnipresent.

It follows the character Winston Smith who works at the Ministry of Truth, a huge building where documents are changed in favor of "The Party", as he begins to start realizing the miserable state of life in his country of Oceania, one of the three super nations of the world. As he begins to clear his mind of the Party's brainwashing, he joins a mysterious underground group called the Brotherhood. This even furthers his anti-party sentiments, but all of his personal revelations are eventually just in vain; he gets caught by the Thought Police.

The Thought Police is a force employed by the Party to monitor everyone's thoughts and action to make sure they were loyal. When he was caught, Winston was sent to the Ministry of Love. There, he spent an inestimable amount of times, perhaps months or even years, being deprived of nutrition and being tortured. The book ends with him being released, completely ridden of his rebellious thoughts and turned into another thoughtless follower of the Party.

I greatly enjoyed this book because of all of its insights into human psychology and political theory. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes to read a book that makes them think. It truly is a great English classic, and I am grateful that things didn't turn out the way he predicted.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:11 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

If the assignment was to do a short summary/review, that's fine...
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Reviews: 1
Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:31 pm
Enigmatic_Penguin says...

Haruno Sakura wrote:If the assignment was to do a short summary/review, that's fine...

Alright, thanks.

Yeah, it was supposed to be short. Normally I'd write something much bigger...

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang