z

Young Writers Society

Time line in comparison/contrast paper

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'm currently writing a paper comparing (and contrasting) a historical novel and a biography about Elizabeth I. For everything I'm talking about to make sense, I have to put a short time line of events that lead up to the ones I'm talking about at the beginning. I have three main questions:

1- Should the history be before of the thesis or after?
2- Should I stop right before the events I'm talking about, or cover all of the events?
3- How do I introduce my sources in the time line, when one of my sources doesn't list the events I need to list?
3.1- Should I even introduce my sources in the time line?

Any help is appreciated!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:17 pm
View Likes
Mars says...

Hi Rosey.
1. Usually, your thesis should be at the end of the introduction, so I would keep it at the beginning and then your first paragraph could be your timeline. Your intro could even include somthing like, "everything can be explained by these events leading up to it..." That's fairly un-eloquent, but you know, something to preview the time line.
2. Only write about the events that are relevant to your thesis. So, it sounds like you should stop right before the ones you're talking about.
3. and 3.1. Sources depend on the teacher, usually. Some want a bibliography at the end, where you have all your sources, some want you to cite your sources with a (author's last name, page number) format and then have a works cited page...every one of the teachers I've written for has had a different preference. So I would ask them about it.
You should include your time line sources somehow, but only if you actually use it.
Hope this helps. Good luck on the paper!
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

Thank you!

I probably should have mentioned this, but it's MLA style. I don't think it matters though.

Thanks again!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer