z

Young Writers Society

"Emo" Poetry vs. Good Poetry

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:00 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

This is more of a question than any statement by me.

What do you think makes the difference between an emo poem, and a good poem? When I say emo, I'm speaking of poems that are trying awfully hard to present emotion and feeling but failing because they are "navel gazing" and not exactly being creative. (I'd give examples, but I don't want to insult.)

Sure, I just gave reasons above why emo poetry is "bad" but what makes it go from "Emo" to good? What elements do you believe a poem needs to successfully convey emotion?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 am
sabradan says...

Emo poems are what I like to call TTAP. Typical Teenage Angst Poetry. Not good. Good poetry is much harder to describe, so well, I'll just say its...not TTAP.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:39 am
Cade says...

Emo poetry is to preoccupied with being "emo". While the point of poetry is to present emotion, it has to be done subtly and in a way that makes the reader feel. Emo poetry is too busy going on about how life sucks to even notice the reader.
A poem can be about sadness in life and still be interesting to the reader. The key? Don't dwell on feelings alone. Put those feelings into images that the reader can infer from.

Emo poetry:
Life sucks. I want to kill myself. *slashes wrists*
SHARDS. (the words "shards" or "broken" must always be present in emo poetry)

Good poetry:
The stories of the street are mine, the Spanish voices laugh.
The Cadillacs go creeping now through the night and the poison
gas,
and I lean from my window sill in this old hotel I chose,
yes one hand on my suicide, one hand on the rose.

I know you've heard it's over now and war must surely come,
the cities they are broke in half and the middle men are gone.
But let me ask you one more time, O children of the dusk,
All these hunters who are shrieking now oh do they speak for us?

...With one hand on the hexagram and one hand on the girl
I balance on a wishing well that all men call the world.
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky,
and lost among the subway crowds I try to catch your eye.

-from the song "Stories of the Street" by Leonard Cohen.

EDIT: What Cohen does is present some beautiful and intriguing images that pull in the reader - well, listener, rather. He presents a melancholy view of the world while contemplating suicide at the window of his room in the Chelsea Hotel. While the speaker is obviously depressed, he never comes out and says, "I'm depressed. Look at what the world is coming to." The images (and the mournful, darkly wavering tone of Cohen's voice) speak for themselves. Leonard Cohen is one of the masters of turning "emo" into "WHOA!"
Last edited by Cade on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:07 am
Aet Lindling says...

None understand my pain.
God dammit, life sucks.
I must pick up the shards of my broken soul.
But there is not a chance it could be repaired.
Man, I am so freakin' emo. Boo-hoo.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:39 pm
darchoco says...

well there is some definite differences. like the fact that if you are going on over and over again about how ur life sucks, obviously emo. If u can however express urself and how you depict ur life with true emotion, that is a pivotal change. Sometimes it can be hard to determine, but if you read it right, you can see the true impact behind it.
if you were to die today, would you be able to tell yourself that you did everything you wanted and everything you could?
life is a puzzle. want to put it together with me?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:51 pm
Lady Pirate says...

I work on the School Lit. Magazine, so I see a lot of work. The thing is, it doesn't come down can emo become a good poem? The fact is it comes down to two things:

1.) Emo poems that are complete crap, that have forced rhyme or they talk about stuff that just doesn't make since ect...

And..

2.) Emo poems that you can really relate to, that you can connect with, as a person. Because sometimes you just need to conect with someone, and know that someone feels the same way that you do.

Like lit, emo poems can sway both ways.
'My words fly up, my thoughts remain below.
Words without thoughts never to heaven go.'

William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:20 pm
Isis says...

I think something can technically be called "emo" because it's about teenage heartbreak or suicide and still be a good poem. If that's in your definition of emo then of course, there are great poems with original images and ideas, written by teenagers or 'young adults', that deal with those issues...the only problem is that they might get marred by their subject matter because of so many of the OH WOE WHAMBULANCE poetry that will overtake the decent stuff.
iwillnot beacouplet pasteljacket femininemood
dogfightfanatic estrogenmechanic

2058 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 pm
Emerson says...

Well, if you write an emotional poem and it still is beautiful, and is what a poem should be (causes the reader to also feel your emotions) and it is about teenage life, suicide, etc. then I think it isn't emo poetry. Good poetry can still be emotional, right?

The emo-ness comes from (as someone said above, who was it?) the poorly written quality of it. I think, though, even if you can relate to it, if it is badly written, I dislike it more than relate to it but...that is me.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

758 Reviews

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:50 pm
Cade says...

Well, there's certainly a difference in what the terms "emotional" and "emo" are describing.

Emo poetry just isn't original. Even if you can relate to the feelings being expressed in the poem, they aren't expressed in a fresh new way.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 pm
Emerson says...

Emo poetry just isn't original.

*applauds*

Or, which is another thing to consider, Emo poetry takes into no consideration the fundamental pieces of poetry: structure, rhythm, rhyme, flow, verses, and the many others that I have yet to learn :-D

It's often times just....jumbled thoughts.

758 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:10 pm
Cade says...

Claudette wrote:Or, which is another thing to consider, Emo poetry takes into no consideration the fundamental pieces of poetry: structure, rhythm, rhyme, flow, verses, and the many others that I have yet to learn :-D

It's often times just....jumbled thoughts.

Well, it is possible that someone could write a perfectly structured, rhymed poem that still doesn't express anything new. Usually, though, people who put that much consideration into their poetry don't write it emo.
Like, if you learn to cook at a prestigious culinary arts school, you're probably not going to be making TV dinners for the rest of your life.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:35 pm
Thriving Fire says...

The answer to this is simple: in emo poetry, the 'feelings' (and I use the word loosely) that the poet feels are blown up, taken out of context, until its so extreme that nobody (except the poet him/herself) can feel what is trying to be said.
Consider the whole 'slashed wrists' nonsense. How many of us have ever felt like slashing our wrists on a regular basis? Sure, people have had suicidal thoughts (and to those people you have my deepest sympathy) but a lot fewer live and breathe depression, suicide, death etc. So, when an emo poet talks about 'slashed wrists', nobody knows, or cares, what it means.
Good poetry, on the other hand, is a much more heartfelt, tangible thing. Goods poem reach out to everyone in some way, while still remaining very close and personal to the poet. The poet feels a certain way, writes a poem about his/her feelings, and if the poem is good, the reader will feel the same way.
Like I said: Simple.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Thu May 17, 2007 2:49 am
View Likes
whence says...

Emo poems make the reader laugh.

Actual poems make the reader share the emotion of the writer, at least to some extent.

Emo poetry is pretensious, pathetic, and laughable. And I loathe it with a passion.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

2058 Reviews

Thu May 17, 2007 2:57 am
Emerson says...

I think we forgot one aspect of emo poetry: Navel-gazing.

And even I am guilty of that! So...We all do a bit of navel-gazing now and then.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu May 17, 2007 3:28 am
Incandescence says...

Clau--

I don't think "emo" is a valid class of poetry.

Best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria