67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:56 am
EstelPax says...

Sighing,
Weeping,
Longing,
A red hot flame still kindled.
I said I loved you. Arya you said I was too young and turned me away.
You look at me different,not the same.
Sighing,
Weeping,
Longing,
Still longing for what can never be.
Arya Svit-Kona , your friendship is not enough.
I want more.
I still long for what can never be.
Last edited by EstelPax on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:11 am
Poor Imp says...

What's rather neat about it all is the catch-phrase like simplicity the lines manage. ^_^ I can see them intermingled with film in some movie trailer.

Sighing,
Weeping,
Longing,

I said I loved you. You said you are too young and turned me away.

Sounds a bit like a song.

But for poetry, your lines are reeling disproportianetly out of meter, rhyme, rhythm. And they simply say.

'Sighing, weeping, longing,' is an involving way--by structure--to involve a reader first-off. But 'red-hot flame', 'said I loved you', 'not the same' are all paths followed to ragged end and back and back again as far as imagery.

In the end, I like the idea--specially for fanfiction, merely an elaboration, deeper (hopefully) in on a character or scene.

But you haven't gone much deeper in the way you've told it. Try twisting the metaphors, ideas around a bit--look for something more startling. ^_^ You'll end with a poem that that feels rather than reiterates. You're good at the brief bits of fanfiction; I've read some, Alanna. Work on this and it'll be a neat short.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:56 am
bubblewrapped says...

Hey there! We meet again (I think?). Hope you've been enjoying your time on YWS so far :)

Overall, this poem really didnt work for me. Your images were cliche and the "story" you were trying to tell didnt seem to hang together. So I have a few recommendations for you to try (as always, at your own discretion) :) Here goes!

Sighing,
Weeping,
Longing,
I said I loved you. You said you are too young and turned me away.

First of all - I like the way you've broken down the main ideas into single-word lines. Very catchy. The part I dislike is the last section - the last two lines, to be precise. "You said you are too young" is very confused. "You" said who was too young? "You" is too young? Or the narrator ("I") of the poem? I would recommend breaking down that line too, as it's too long to do justice to the rhythm of the poem.

An idea might be:

"I said I loved you, but
you said I was too young and turned me away."

Also, that last line -- "not the same" is entirely redundant (that's what "different" MEANS) so I would advise you to cut it. It's unnecessary.

PS: It's "differently".

Sighing,
Weeping,
Longing,

I'm not sure I approve of this repetition. It takes up a lot of your poem and doesnt give you room to further develop your other ideas. Perhaps you could repeat the style (i.e. the one-word lines) but not the words themselves? That way you can explore your concept without breaking the repetitive flow.

Still longing for what can never be.
Arya Svit-Kona , your friendship is not enough.
I want more.
I still long for what can never be.

Get rid of that last line there, it's unnecessary. If I were you I'd make the first line say it all: "I'm still longing for what can never be". Also, you might think about breaking this up into recognizable stanzas, so that it doesnt all run together.

Sighing,
Weeping,
Longing,
A red hot flame still kindled

Circularity is all very well, but, again, I'm not sure I'd go with it in this case. Sighing and weeping and the like are cliche in the first place; repeating them only makes your reader conscious of this fact. Same with the red-hot flame. It does provide a neat finishing section -- but it doesnt tell me anything. What are you trying to convey? Like Imp said, the poem doesnt feel in its present state. It tells. So...yeah. Some revision needed, I guess.

Anyway, good to see some more of your work around. Keep it up!

Cheers,
~bubbles
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller