z

Young Writers Society

Jurassic Park: El Infierno Verde

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

*I was just reminded of how much I've liked the book Jurassic Park and it's movie, so I thought I'd write a fan-fiction. This is set in a jungle in Costa Rica*

Diego swatted at the sea of jungle grass with his machete, the camera in his bag bouncing uncomfortably against his back. The greenery sliced off in sheets. He and his co-worker waded through the carnage, gasping for breath. Perspiration soaked through his shirt and trickled down his brow. Even with the clouds overhead threatening rain, the temperature was unbearably warm and humid. He could feel the haze of the heat in the air.

"Tired my friend?" Randall said.

Diego nodded, holding the machete out. Randal took it with a grin. It felt odd being referred to by something other than Dr. Ramirez. But they were out in the middle of a jungle, so what was the point of formalities? They weren't shooting a documentary at the moment. But that was what they had set out to do. So far, all they had recorded were monkeys and the stunning array of plant life that seemed to have a mind of its own.

Randall stroked the blade, wiping off a smear of green glob. "That should make it easier to cut, all that grass ooze was making you use more force to cut, because of the serrated edge of the blade being coated in it," he said and immediately began chopping away at the never ending expanse of green.

Diego remained still for a moment longer, catching his breath. He and Randall had come to Central America to embark on a trek through the jungle, searching for the mysterious creatures that had been seen in recent months. They were always seen in the darkest corners of the jungle. Los Diablos, the locals called them.

Diego shivered, The Devils was the literal translation. They had been blamed for a series of disappearances in and along the jungle. El Infierno Verde, they called this place. The Green Hell. He put his hand inside the pouch of his shirt. His fingers coiled around the satellite phone. Diego breathed easier knowing he could call for help from anywhere, should he ever need to.

Thunder rumbled, and Diego looked up. Dark clouds painted the sky in bleakness. He shook his head. While the rain would work wonders cooling his body, it could potentially ruin their filming equipment. He hoped the backpacks they were truly were weather resistant. His hand still in his pouch, Diego walked over the path Randal was making. He jumped when an animal howl echoed through the jungle, muffling the sound of Randall's chopping.

Randal stopped and held up a hand, signaling for Diego to halt. The animal howl continued.

"What do you suppose is behind that sound?" Diego said, in what was almost a whisper.

"Howler monkey most likely," Randall said. "Yes, that is undoubtedly what it is." He resumed cutting, walking forward.

Diego wondered how much longer he would be able to endure before he had to call for a break. A faint rustle from the east met his ears. His head turned to it. A thick clump of elephant leaves were swaying as if some large animal had disturbed them. No, there was an animal there.

Randall halted, this time as rigid as a statue. He craned his neck back, tendons popping out. "Did you-" he began.

"Yes," Diego whispered. Suddenly, a dark shape flashed by in a blur out from a thick clump of coiled shrubbery and vines. It vanished in the blink of an eye on the opposite cocoon of greenery. The leaves and grasses shaking. He stared wide eyed at at the foliage. It continued to move, as if going through bouts of cold. When his knees began to jiggle, he realized he was very afraid.

Randall's back was tensed as he stared to the spot where the thing had disappeared to. Taking slow steps Diego stood next to him. He turned to face his colleague and saw nothing but horror on his face. Randall's forehead was creased, and his eyes were fixed to the right as if he expected a monster to come charging out of it at any moment.

Diego's mouth went dry, realizing that it may be the case if what the local peoples stories were true. Being fluent in Spanish, Diego had felt the sincerity ring in the people's words. Accounts of viscous creatures that were as tall as adult men, and with agility much more of that of a jaguar. A boy had told him that he saw one of the "Diablos" chase down a horse, catching up to it in the... blink of an eye.

Randall and him froze as a soul piercingly horrific roar screamed from the foliage. Diego's hands twitched as the high pitched roar continued to reverberate throughout the jungle. It was like a mixture of a dolphin's shriek, a lions roar, and the laugh of a demon. Rain pattered the leaves, the rhythm making his heart pound in tempo with it.

"What in the animal kingdom is that!?" rasped Randall.

Diego could not even shake his head as the foliage began to move. He could feel his blood run cold, and he trembled down to his bone marrow. His heart beat in his throat as a dark snout protruded from it's coils. Then more of its head materialized from the green depths. Finally, the head was completely out, followed by a neck.

Those eyes. It's eyes were as fierce as those of a falcon. Diego averted his gaze from the creatures impossibility intellect gaze. It was as if it were studying him, determining how to take him down. Rain slid down its body. Teeth that looked sharp enough to bite through diamond jutted from its slight agape jaws. The jaws themselves, looked powerful enough to crush diamond. The strongest of all elements.

But the most horrifying attribute of all was the knives it had for talons. The claws on its long three digit hands were the ultimate tools of slaughter. Nothing, no where in the biosphere, had Diego ever layed eyes on such a monstrous predator.

Randall raised his machete, it shook in his hands. He looked like boy futilely trying to defend himself against the Devil himself. Diego was not a praying man, but if there had ever been a Devil, he was looking at him. The creature burst from the foliage with such speed it was as if it had simply teleported.

Long legs jutted from its sides, and a tail as long as its body ran behind it. It stood straight out ahead, like a birds tail feathers. It dawned on him that the creatures bone structure was just like that of a bird. From the way it cocked its head. But the way it walked, was unlike any creature that man could have ever imagined.

Everything, that is, except for a dinosaur. Lightning flashed and thunder boomed. "Run," Diego whispered before he did an about face, fleeing. As the warm tropical wind and rain whipped at his face, Diego could hear Randall's frantic footfalls on the trail that they had made. The dinosaurs roar muffled all.

"My God!" Randall yelled as the dinosaur landed in front of them. It had jumped ahead of them in one bound! Without a seconds glance, Diego broke for the trees, hoping the thick entwined foliage would somehow slow down "El Diablo". Its roar threatened to lock his knees from sheer primal fear.
Last edited by AspiringAuthorA..M. on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:18 am
captain.classy says...

Haha *inside joke much?*

I'm going to bed now, will review later. Saw it and had to comment.

*saves space for epic review* :P

EDIT: This review will not be as epic as I thought it would be. I have nothing bad to say. You kept the tension and fear in my bones the entire way through. Your description of the dino was perfect, not too much, nor too little. I think you spent the perfect amount of time describing things, though when you mentioned the plants that had minds of their own, I would of liked to know what you meant by that. I can imagine, but do they look different than plants we have any where else?

Nice job! Post more!

Classy

182 Reviews

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 am

I will, I'm currently writing about an Amish farmer girl who goes through a shocking event. My insanity knows no bounds. :P

*An Amish farmer is one who rejects technological advancements*
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:59 pm
Stori says...

Have you ever heard of "Raptor Red?"
Perhaps you should read it.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:16 am
jokeless7jester says...

Splendid, I must say! I do believe the author (I don't trust myself to spell his name properly) would have been quite pleased with that. You left me with my heart pounding and my legs feeling weak. Marvelous, just marvelous.

I am thinking that you made it too good for me to point out any real mistakes though there is just one thing ....

Are you going to write more? :D
"With all due respect, sir. I distrust your hat entirely."-- Jae Marquis

182 Reviews

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:50 am

I have begun a second part but I keep getting side tracked, so I haven't finished it yet. If anybody is interested in seeing this continued just tell me so I can feel like I have to finish. :P

182 Reviews

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:47 pm

*Okay, I should be putting up the second part of this story up some time today, maybe*

182 Reviews

Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:29 am

Okay, I really will be finishing the sequel that I started writing and abandoned months ago. Just watched JP III for like the thirtyth time earlier tonight.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:03 am
SuicideCrusader says...

Nice I love the way you described the Dinosaur. You gave it a great image. I love the name of the jungle also. Many really don't expect a dinosaur to be hanging around the jungle. To anyone it would be hell. Can't wait to read the next part.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:05 pm
tuckerluvr says...

This was wonderful, and I used to be obsessed with Jurassic Park. :) A few nit-picks, however.

He hoped the backpacks they were truly were weather resistant.

I should be "He hoped the backpacks there were wearing were truly weather resistant" or "He hoped the backpacks they wore were truly weather resistant"

You also described the dinosaur quite well, but adding in what color it was would help describe it better :)

I loved this, and can't wait for the sequel! :D
the purposes of a man's heart are deep waters but a man of understanding draws them out

- Proverbs 20:5

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:00 am
View Likes
freewritersavvy says...

Love the dino's! Good job keep it up! Oh and um...run!
~FW~
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 am
MrsSGriffiths says...

I'm always a fan of Jurassic Park and anything to do with it so cudos to you for taking it to the next level. I am also all about the gore, though even the movies were lacking a little in this area - it was more about the fear factor than the blood and stuff. I know not everyone is a "gore-whore" like me. So if you wouldn't mind I'd love to read a little bit about some gore, something that makes you get a really visual picture! It would add a little something-something to your book that the other movies mostly lacked (save for maybe one or two scenes!).
Good luck, and keep up the good work!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 25, 2011 12:17 pm
Reedo121 says...

I was always a huge fan of Jurassic Park, even now I still am. Not many things to nit-pick about, but I think all of us would like more visual pictures. I really enjoyed the story, but like I said more visuals. If you could, throw in some gore along with the story. That would keep lots of readers hooked throughout the story. :)

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal