z

Young Writers Society

Draco's first Murder!

Reviews: 4
Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:01 am
xXShadowPeopleXx says...

Spring was now just around the corner and following it the end of school. Draco paced about in the Slytherin dorm. As the end of school drew nearer so did the fulfilling of his mission. He would tell himself that he could do it, that he was strong enough to do it. However, deep down a small voice screamed “NO”.
Draco thought on how he could go about his plan on his own, when he remembered something that had happen to him when he was younger...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco was only eight at the time; he had been playing in the gardens around his house when he came across one of his father’s peacocks.
The peacock was not doing any harm; he was perched on a low fence cooling in the shade.
Draco thought to himself how easy it would be to throw a stone and knock the bird right off the fence. The thought pleased him, so picking up a few stones he began to toss them toward the bird. Though the stones came close they did not hit him, nor did the bird seem to care. He just sat there watching Draco throw the stones.
Losing his temper Draco shouted at the bird trying to make him move. “Come on you stupid thing you! Why won’t you move?” The bird still only watched him. Picking up a larger rock Draco tossed it through the air still yelling at the bird to move.
The rock struck the bird in the head, sending him to the ground. He did not move from where he lay.
Draco’s heart seemed to stop at the sight of the bird lying oddly on the ground. Slowly he approached the bird, “H-hey? Come on, you're okay.” he said hoping he was right. He was now standing right beside the bird yet he still did not move. A sick feeling sank in Draco’s stomach as he looked into the birds cold dead eyes. He sank to his knees and gently stroked the bird. ‘I killed him! I’m a murderer!’ Draco thought as tears streamed down his face.
As he sat there he realized that he would have to do something with the body. Taking off his jacket, he wrapped the bird in it the best he could. Then gently he carried it to the far side of the garden where a large oak grew. There he placed the bird, then he ran to one of the nearby gardener sheds to find a shovel. After finding one that he could carry, he raced back to the tree and began to dig. He dug as fast as he could, trying to hold back the sobs that were now choking him. Then a voice from behind him caused him jump.
“Draco?”
He recognized the voice to belong to Severus Snape, one of his father’s friends. Slowly he turned to face him. Snape was walking toward him and had not yet seen the bird’s body wrapped in the jacket.
“Your mother asked me to bring you inside.” He said calmly then looking from the hole to the bird he asked, “What happened?”
Draco dropped to his knees crying, “I did it! I killed him!” He knelt next to the hole and sobbed.
Snape stood there and let him cry. He did not know what to do for the boy. He could not see why the boy needed to weep over killing something as pathetic as a peacock, but seeing that the boy was greatly upset he knelt beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Before Snape could think of any words that might comfort the boy Draco threw his arms around his neck and cried out, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry! I did not mean to kill the peacock! I-it was an accident…” Awkwardly Snape placed his arms around him and gently patted his back hoping it would comfort him.
Only being able to take so much, Snape decided to put an end to Draco’s obsessive crying. “All right now,” he said, trying not to sound to rough, “Stop this crying and go find me a flat stone.”
“W-what do you need a stone for?” Draco asked trying hard to stop crying.
“Every grave needs a head stone, do they not?”
“Well…yes, I suppose so, but I haven’t finished digging the grave.”
“I’ll do that, you just go find a stone.”
With that said, Draco raced off to find one, time he did and had carried it all the way back Snape had finished digging the hole, placed the bird inside and had covered him up.
“Place the head stone over here.” Snape instructed. Draco did as told and placed the stone on top of the grave. “Now then, did this bird have a name?”
“No,” Draco replied. “Not that I know about.”
“Well then,” Taking out his wand, Snape engraved:

Peacock; Died June 27, 1988

“There,” Snape said quite satisfied with the results.
“Are you not going to say something over the grave?” Draco asked looking at the small grave with deep regret.
“If you think that I am going to pray over some dead peacock, think again.” But seeing his saddened face, Snape added, “But if you feel it to be necessary, you do so.”
At first Draco was very unsure of what to do, then slowly he bowed his head and said, “Lord, please let this peacock into heaven, for he was a good peacock. Also, sir, let him know that I am very sorry for what I did, and that I did not mean to kill him…um, that is all sir. Amen”
“Amen” Snape quietly repeated.
Picking up Draco’s jacket, Snape started walking back to the house. Draco stopped him, “You have to promise not to tell my Mother or Father that I killed that peacock.”
“Then what shall I tell them when they ask ‘why is there a stone out by the oak that say's a peacock died’?” Snape asked amused by the thought.
“We’ll just say that we found a peacock dead, and that we buried it, Okay.”
“Very well then”
“You have to promise!”
“I promise that I’ll never tell a living soul, all right?”
Draco gave him a smile of approval and they walked back to the house together.

Thinking back on that, made Draco wish things could be that simple again. However, he knew better. Life would never be the same now...
Last edited by xXShadowPeopleXx on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I cry in secret, for the world doesn't under stand me...

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:13 am
DakotaK says...

Hey there,
I really liked your little story. It was sweet and simple. I like Draco in the Harry Potter series, mostly I feel like he was a good guy in a bad spot and that in the end he had to pay a price that wasn't his fault. Your story shows a different side to the slick-haired slytherin. Just some nit picks:

"Draco paced the floor in the Slytherin dorm, as the end of school drew nearer so did the fulfilling of his mission. "

I would put a period between dorm and as.

"He did not move from where he laid."

I would use lay instead of laid.

"A sick feeling sunk in Draco’s stomach"

Sank

"He sank to his knees and gentle stroked the bird"
"Then gentle he carried it to the far side of the garden"
"Snape placed his arms around him and gentle patted his back hoping"

Gently

"Draco thought as tears steamed down his face. "

Streamed

"near by gardener"

nearby

"He did not know of what to do for the boy."

I would take out the "of"

"was greatly up set "

upset is one word

"Draco asked try hard to stop crying"

I think you meant "trying"

"With that said Draco raced off to find one"

I would put a coma after said.

"over some died peacock"

dead

"then he slowly he bowed his head and said"

Either take out a "he" or put in a coma.

"Snape stared walking back to the house"

started

"Father that I kill that peacock"

killed

"out by the oak that say a peacock"

say's

Ok, simple spelling errors. But the story line was good and I liked it. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

~DakotaK
What is important is to know fear and yet take a step forward.
Rosette Christopher

Looking for peeps to review my novel:)

novel.php?id=1142

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:20 pm
McMourning says...

Hello.
I enjoyed this, even though I haven't read Harry Potter in so long. I think it was written in a different style than Rowling, but I like it. It was easy to read and easy for me to see in my head. I did find it a little hard to picture Snape patting Draco's back. I see him as a tougher person than that.

Ah, well, Dakota did a nice job of picking up on your mistakes. I did pick up on two little things...
xXShadowPeopleXx wrote:"Come on, your okay.”

"You are okay" or "You're okay". Your is possessive, like their, my, ours.

xXShadowPeopleXx wrote:‘I killed him! I’m a murderer!’ Draco thought as tears steamed down his face.

Usually, I see thoughts as italics, not put in quotes. But that may just be a regional thing. I'm not sure.

I enjoyed reading it, and I think that is the most important thing. Are you thinking about expanding it? Not so much the flashback as his mission, his plan? I'd be interested in reading more.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 pm
Kaedee says...

Hey there! KD here for an overall(ish) review.

Characters:

This whole story was, to me, basically 1oo% Draco. So, good job. That's probably one of the most important parts of this.

Snape seems so kind...but I guess he is capable of being kind, after all. You still made his nice actions towards Draco seem plausible.

So, you did fairly well with both of the HP characters, in my opinion! I only wish you added more emotion to this piece. I wish you could have added more 'expressions' to their voices (yelled, snapped, whined, etc.) to make the characters seem even more like themselves. For example:

xXShadowPeopleXx wrote:“Very well then,Snape sighed, yet a small smile played on his lips.
You can take out the smiley part, haha (it's a bit of a cliche too...I'm sure you can do better). You could use something like that if you want to show more of Snape's 'softer' side. In general, I wish you could have made Snape sound a little bit harsher, and Draco a little more whiny, since that's much like him.

Plot, and Story Setup:

I think this whole story was set up well. I like how you start this piece and end it. But, it would be even better if you could have given exactly what year Draco is 'currently' in, and more info on what he has to do, especially for people who either haven't read the books at all or haven't read the books in a long time (that's me!).

Main Nitpicky Problems:

Make sure that you always have punctuation at the end of every single sentence in dialogue.

Examples:

xXShadowPeopleXx wrote:“Very well then.

xXShadowPeopleXx wrote:“Amen,” Snape quietly repeated.

Mainly in here there were proof-read problems.

Example:

xXShadowPeopleXx wrote:"Come on, you're okay.”

Overall:

This was pretty well written. I had lots of fun reading this! Lovely job. *likes*

~KD
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:00 pm
thegilliangill says...

Hey Kaedee Nice idea

Spring was now just around the corner and following it the end of school.Nice opener, the metaphor works well Draco paced about in the Slytherin dorm. As the end of school drew nearer, so did the fulfilling of his mission. He would tell himself that he could do it, that he was strong enough to do it. However, deep down a small voice screamed “NO”.

Draco thought on how he could go about his plan on his own, when he remembered something that had happen to him when he was younger...

Draco was only eight at the time; he had been playing in the gardens around his house when he came across one of his father’s peacocks.

The peacock was not doing any harm; he was perched on a low fence cooling in the shade.

Draco thought to himself "how easy it would be to throw a stone and knock the bird right off the fence." The thought pleased him, so picking up a few stones he began to toss them toward the bird. Though the stones came close they did not hit him, nor did the bird seem to care. He just sat there watching Draco throw the stones.

Losing his temper, Draco shouted at the bird trying to make him move. “Come on you stupid thing you!I dont think you need the you at the end Why won’t you move?” The bird still only watched him. Picking up a larger rock Draco tossed it through the air still yelling at the bird to move.

The rock struck the bird in the head, sending him to the ground. He did not move from where he lay.

Draco’s heart seemed to stop at the sight of the bird lying oddly on the ground. Slowly he approached the bird, “H-hey? Come on, you're okay.” he said better word than said? hoping he was right. He was now standing right beside the bird yet he still did not move. A sick feeling sank in Draco’s stomach as he looked into the birds cold dead eyes. He sank to his knees and gently stroked the bird. ‘I killed him! I’m a murderer!’ Draco thought as tears streamed down his face. Nice paragraph

As he sat there he realized that he would have to do something with the body. Taking off his jacket, he wrapped the bird in it the best he could. Then gently he carried it to the far side of the garden where a large oak grew. There he placed the bird, then he ran to one of the nearby gardener sheds to find a shovel. After finding one that he could carry, he raced back to the tree and began to dig. He dug as fast as he could, trying to hold back the sobs that were now choking him. Then a voice from behind him caused him jump. This potrays Draco's character in Harry Potter, appears really strong, and when it comes down to it...he's a wimp

“Draco?”

He recognized the voice to it might work better being "He recognized the voice, it belonged to Severus Snape... belong to Severus Snape, one of his father’s friends. Slowly he turned to face him. Snape was walking toward him and had not yet seen the bird’s body wrapped in the jacket.

“Your mother asked me to bring you inside.” He said calmly then looking from the hole to the bird he asked, “What happened?”

Draco dropped to his knees crying, “I did it! I killed him!” He knelt next to the hole and sobbed.

Snape stood there and let him cry. He did not know what to do for the boy. He could not see why the boy needed to weep over killing something as pathetic as a peacock, but seeing that the boy was greatly upset he knelt beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Before Snape could think of any words that might comfort the boy Draco threw his arms around his neck and cried out, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry! I did not mean to kill the peacock! I-it was an accident…” Awkwardly Snape placed his arms around him and gently patted his back hoping it would comfort him.

Only being able to take so much, Snape decided to put an end to Draco’s obsessive crying. “All right now,” he said, trying not to sound to rough, “Stop this crying and go find me a flat stone.”

“W-what do you need a stone for?” Draco asked trying hard to stop crying.

“Every grave needs a head stone, do they not?”

“Well…yes, I suppose so, but I haven’t finished digging the grave.”

“I’ll do that, you just go find a stone.”

With that said, Draco raced off to find one, time he did and had carried it all the way back Snape had finished digging the hole, placed the bird inside and had covered him up. This sentence doesn't really make sense!

“Place the head stone over here.” Snape instructed. Draco did as told and placed the stone on top of the grave. “Now then, did this bird have a name?”

“No,” Draco replied. “Not that I know about.”

“Well then,” Taking out his wand, Snape engraved:

Peacock; Died June 27, 1988

“There,” Snape said quite satisfied with the results.

“Are you not going to say something over the grave?” Draco asked looking at the small grave with deep regret.

“If you think that I am going to pray over some dead peacock, think again.” But seeing his saddened face, Snape added, “But if you feel it to be necessary, you do so.”

At first Draco was very unsure of what to do, then slowly he bowed his head and said, “Lord, please let this peacock into heaven, for he was a good peacock. Also, sir, let him know that I am very sorry for what I did, and that I did not mean to kill him…um, that is all sir. Amen”

“Amen” Snape quietly repeated.

Picking up Draco’s jacket, Snape started walking back to the house. Draco stopped him, “You have to promise not to tell my Mother or Father that I killed that peacock.”

“Then what shall I tell them when they ask ‘why is there a stone out by the oak that say's a peacock died’?” Snape asked amused by the thought.

“We’ll just say that we found a peacock dead, and that we buried it, Okay.”

“Very well then”

“You have to promise!”

“I promise that I’ll never tell a living soul, all right?”

Draco gave him a smile of approval and they walked back to the house together.

I found this story very moving and I could relate it to harry potter, I have corrected a few things, but to be honest, towards the end I was so moved by the story - I didn't find any more errors
Well done!
~TheGillianGill~

There's a bright light, see it in the distance? It's called your future.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 pm
XChangeX says...

I enjoyed this even though it was a bit sad. It was cute and had a decent storyline to it. The grammatical errors are fixable but easily overlooked. Try reading your story throughly out loud to yourself before posting. It really does help. Keep up the good work, Can't wait to read more from you :)

XO Change
The only constant in our lives is Change.

Revelations 21:4
He will wipe every tear from their eye. There will be no more mourning or death or pain. There will be no more crying for the old way of things has gone away.

Reviews: 4
Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:15 am
eyesxsewnxopen says...

I'm also a part of this conversation!
Tobias: Well, I don’t want to blame it all on 9/11, but it certainly didn’t help.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm
Sunshine says...

Aw! This is cute in a messed up Draco Malfoy kind of way. I think you hit it right on the nob! the beggining is pretty unclear though. Did you mean to make it like that?
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:17 pm
DemiGodsRule12 says...

I really liked it. I also feel that Draco is just a good guy in a bad spot. This is a great sweet story.
“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.” - Albus Dumbledore

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:45 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

Oooh, I liked it. However, I don't think Snape would ever be that nice... not even to Draco. He definitely wouldn't make a headstone for a peacock and hug little chiddlens. Also, I don't know why, but the whole praying part seemed a tad out of place to me.... they never, ever mention religion in the books, other to say that it's Christmas time.

Anyway, nice job. Keep writing!

-Tori
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:43 am
kikialicia31 says...

Hey there! Seems like there's not much for me to review because the reviews part is pretty much covered. I think if you continue writing, you can write even better than this.

Overall, I enjoyed reading it.

Good luck and keep writing,

Alicia.
"The nicest part is being able to write down all my thoughts and feelings, otherwise I‘d absolutely suffocate."- Anne Frank

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:36 pm
LadySpark says...

I have a question:
how is Draco in the dorm and then at his house?(just asking)
I think this story was nice and i like the softer side of Draco and Snape. but i need something more that gives a little more emotion. from snape. ok thats it. bye
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:01 pm
BubbleGirl says...

Draco and Snape were always some of my favorite characters in the HP books, and I like how you showed another side of them. I also like how the story starts out with Draco contemplating killing Dumbledore, and how you close with this as well. It wraps things up well, and adds a hint of unease to the ending. It helps you sympathyze with Draco all the more.
Good job and keep writing! :)
"I didn't lie! I was writing fiction with my mouth!" -Homer Simpson

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:43 am
IgnisandGlacialis says...

Hiya!
I don't generally review fanfiction, but I decided that once couldn't hurt.
I really liked this. I really, REALLY liked how you showed Draco as a small boy, before he becomes what he has been made by his parents and Voldemort. It was really very sweet how you showed that he, too, has feelings, and although he may be a spoiled git, he has reservations and can feel remorse. He does not want to kill.
This, of course, ties in very nicely with him contemplating the murder of Dumbledore, because, as we know, Draco did not want to do that, either. He was frightened for himself and for his family, and I would bet my life that he was, at that moment, when he hesitated in front of Dumbledore, who was unarmed and fatally ill, wishing that he had been born into a family devoid of evil and Voldemort. Even though Draco is someone who mainly thinks of himself and is spiteful and cowardly, he has a heart, and does not want to kill. You portrayed this very well.
One thing - even though Snape is, at the end of the day, a good person (deep down), he is not the sort to pat a small child on the back and try to comfort him. He might feel for the boy, but he is a cold sort of person and I imagine he would not feel comfortable attempting to cheer up a tearful boy. Just my opinion - don't listen to me, I have a tendency to waffle.
I really (wow, I've used that word a lot) loved this.
Keep it up, and God bless,
Ignis :pirate3:
The POTATO of DOOM

A thousand times it calls your name
A thousand times you hear it
And fools are those who heed its call
But fools are those who fear it.

The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:00 pm
kyleb06 says...

Hi, Kyle here.

First, I thought it was a good story. It wasn't in Rowling's style and that's okay.

Second, I don't think Snape would have been so kind.

Third, "Please don't tell Father and Mother"
I think Father and Mother should be lower case.

Overall,
A very good story

Kyle
The pen is not as sharp as the sword.

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf