z

Young Writers Society

Sherlock Holmes - We Laugh Indoors

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 pm
Jagged says...

Spoiler! :
Rated 16 for safety, due to pretentiousness, second- to third- person POV shifts, PTSD, and character death. Mishmash of book- and movie-verses. Spoilers for Reichenbach Falls/The Final Problem and The Empty House (inasmuch as can be spoiled a hundred years after publication). Slash goggles recommended, but not necessary. Format and style in great part borrowed from Richard Siken, mainly his War of the Foxes and You Are Jeff.

(i)
This is what you think, as you set yet another one of his victories on paper: if your life was a story, it would not be a very interesting one. You think that of all the possible things to be you are the witness, or maybe the writer; the one who lingers, the one who gets left behind, the one who remembers; who holds conference with clear-eyed ghosts and pale spectres and never finds anything to say.

You think, there's nothing noteworthy about waiting, and I've been waiting forever.

This is what you do: you fall in love and then you wait. You're not sure how it happens. One day you just stop, and realize that for the past five years you've been living for someone else.

And you think about that, long enough for ink to dry and for the rain outside to stop falling and you decide that's more than alright with you.

(ii)
This is not the beginning. It's not an end either. You're stuck in the middle of this story and counting all the ways it could have come to this.

Here's a story about war: a man is coming back from far, far away. He is tired and ill and lonely, and because he feels that chance has not been fair to him he lets dice roll and fall from his shaking hands and bets on the underdogs and in all of this there is a silent question, and that question is What now?

Take all the things you've ever been afraid of. Take his name. Take hers. Take the ghosts, the sands, the light; the words you've said, the ones you haven't. The chances you've never had the courage to take.
Hold them close, hold them secret, hold them safe.

It's all you'll ever be able to do

The question is What now? and the answer comes in the shape of another man. Dark eyes, bright teeth: they clasp hands and just like that he is caught, and just like that he's said yes for the first time, and he never really stops.

(iii)
There are so many ways to say I love you. You think you might know all of them. But go ahead, write them down. Maybe you're still missing something.

Here is a story about life: there is a detective. There is a doctor. They live together, and so it goes, one of those children's tales of heroes and adventures and explosions (because one mustn't forget the explosions: fire roaring and splinters flying and light erupting, oh so much light, painting their silhouettes red and black over one another, in an apotheosis of adrenaline and laughter.)

Here is a story about war: the doctor has ghosts whispering insistent and solemn over his shoulders, and the detective alive and laughing in front of him, so he wants to reach out—of course he does.

In the grey morning that trickles in through the cracked windows and infiltrates itself into old wounds, shattered nerves and a heavy heart, he holds his hand back and wishes he had been braver, stronger, better. Perhaps then the ghosts would never have spoken. Perhaps then he could have been the ghost, silent feet and a voice like the wind across the sands. Things would have been easier that way, he thinks. The detective is laughing and sets a hand on his shoulder. Inside of him something is bubbling up.

It feels a lot like happiness, but he's been wrong before. Maybe it's just regret.

Here is a story about love: the doctor is smiling in spite of himself, even as he carries a last box full of ink-darkened notebooks out of the room and picks up the pieces of his heart he's scattered there over the years and years. There are many words swirling just out of reach right now: yes and no and I have to do this and I'm sorry and tell me something, anything, tell me a story. Please say something. The detective knows this. In his eyes there are those years of laughter and longing and if he were to ask now, the answer might not be no.

He knows this too, and for once he says nothing. He smiles, softer than ever before, and lets go.

(iv)
Don't stop writing. It's not over until you make it so. And there are so many stories here, for all that you refuse to think any of them might be yours.

Here is a story about love: there is a woman, standing under the moonlight. There is a man, bedsheets tangled at his feet. The woman smiles, sadly, and he has nothing to say. He thinks he dreamed about her once, before he met her, but he's not sure. Nights slip through the cracks of his mind like grains of sand through the tiny spaces between cupped fingers, and dreams like water lost to the dry, crackling heat of the desert.

That does not matter. The woman wears her smile like a favourite cloak, and in the silence that hangs like stars across the morning sky, unnatural but so very, very beautiful, the man remembers she has ghosts of her own too.

In the silence that spins in slow implacable circles the man comes to kneel at the woman's feet, and her hands on his face are lighter than the shadows crawling over their skin. This is not the end¸ she says, and he has never wanted anything more than to believe her tonight. John, she says, and around the lone syllable of his name her lips move like a prayer, like a blessing. This is not the end.

Here is a story about life: that night the man dreams of he that came before him and now lingers in every one of her smiles, every one of her sighs.

The man dreams of his wife's dead lover, and he says I don't want to take her from you, and the dead man answers, I know.

(v)
Take everything you've ever hoped for. Take his love. Take her laughter. Take the ocean, the foam catching the light and the dawn rising serene over it; take the rain against your windows at night, take silence. Take peace. Take the ring at your finger and the stories you've yet to write. Forge an armour out of them, or weave them into some tapestry; wrap them around you, and never let go.

In the grey morning that cloaks itself with fog and dirty rain you are walking alone, wearing a shirt a size too small and your hands still remembering the warmth of her hands. There are words still that have not been said, promises that have not been kept. Look up. The sun is absent, and the water washes over your face, slick and cool over closed eyes and parted lips. You could stay here forever. You've seen men brought under by a shift of the sands, watched them drown slowly with not a drop of water in sight, and now you're counting, very calmly, all the ways the rain could kill you, and when it makes quiet sounds against the pavement at your feet and crawls into your clothes to sing its song to your scars it's something like a promise, and something like comfort.

Wait. Step back.

This is not the right story.

(vi)
Here is a story about life: by the waters the two men go, doctor and detective, and there is an ending waiting for them there.

And the moonlight that night is cutting through your every heartstring, and the empty spaces at your side are gaping open, haemorrhaging shadows and regrets.

So take all that you love in him: wild hair, dark eyes, bright teeth; logic and instinct and the thrills and the scares, bloodied knuckles and burnt sleeves. The music, the silences, the explosions. The unsaid and the obvious and the implicit, the shadows and the lights. Take all of those, and hold them close. Take them, and shape them into something that will look back at you and still find you wanting.

And still this ghost here loves you so, and so when he says, voice quiet and like an echo of things long drowned and long buried, smile for me? you do.

God help you, you do.

(vii)
This is not the end, she says, and you want to believe her, really, you do.

But the problem here is that this is still a story, and it's a story about life: the woman growing paler every day and her hands now hummingbird-frail shivering quick and feverish in his.

This is not the end, she says, and she is still smiling. The doctor in him is counting down the time. The lover is elsewhere, shattering along old fracture lines, and as the moonlight filters through the curtains she is so very beautiful he could cry. John, she says, and has to pause. Her breath rattles in her chest. I am sorry, she says, and speaks no more. In the silence that shudders in shared loss and love the man closes his eyes.

Here's a story about love: there is a dead man standing by her bedside and looking at her like she's finally come home. Thank you, the ghost says, and there is nothing he can say to this. In the moonlight that waits and shimmers it would be so easy to take it all and pretend it's all a dream, a story, a fairytale gone wrong.

But you've always been too honest for your own good, and in the end, this has never (always) been about what you want. So you're not taking the easy way out, so you're not remembering all the times she's held your hand and all the nights she's curled at your side. You're not playing through all those lazy Sunday evenings when the sun's last beams would come to glide over the bedroom and illuminate her hair, her eyes, her teeth. You're not.

Alright, so there is yet another ending here, looming implacable over you. There can only be truth in the moonlight. You were already in love with a will-o-wisp and there had been someone there before you in her arms, but it had been enough. Enough patience for a hundred nights of adventure and enough fire for the coldest of ghost-chills and enough love to hold the world afloat.

Enough.

So take it all, and hold it close, just for a moment. Don't let go. It's raining outside and the light is shifting across her skin and washing all the ghosts away.

What now? is the question, and you cannot pretend you do not know the answer.

What now? Now let go.

(viii)
There's nothing to say, and you've been waiting forever. But the man that just walked in, he has eyes like the most familiar of ghosts and a walk too silent to be imagined.

This is a story about love, and this is not the end.
Last edited by Jagged on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:43 am
Isaac says...

Okay, so firstly. It isn't quite clear how the organization of this is set up. The writing is really good, I love the description. But it isn't quite clear what is going on, it almost seems like each of these sections is a separate way of looking at the story, because if they are not, then why have the numbers? I was just a bit confused.
So, I'm going to critique the first section.
This is what you think, as you set yet another one of his victories on paper: if your life was a story, it would not be a very interesting one. You think that of all the possible things to be you are the witness, or maybe the writer; the one who lingers, the one who gets left behind, the one who remembers; who holds conference with clear-eyed ghosts and pale spectres and never finds anything to say.

You think, there's nothing noteworthy about waiting, and I've been waiting forever.

This is what you do: you fall in love and then you wait. You're not sure how it happens. One day you just stop, and realize that for the past five years you've been living for someone else.

And you think about that, long enough for ink to dry and for the rain outside to stop falling and you decide that's more than alright with you.

So, this is well written, its a good hook, I'm curious what is happening. However there isn't any dialog throughout the entire piece. I'm not sure if this is what you want, but dialog is very important, most people can't get away with not having it. I like what you have so far, you get the reader curious, now the reader is just interested in what is going to happen. Keep up the good work.
-[user]Isaac[/user]

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 am
Lava says...

Hey Jag!
Well, I must say I really loved the style. And the start was very good.
And I'm not sure how to critique it.
But oh well, I'll try.
And the answer comes in the shape of another man.
Leetle typo.
You think you might know all of them. But go ahead, write them down.
Well, my head is saying 'but' is not to be used since you say, you might know it all' which implies that you don't so, I'm guessing the but shouldn't be here. Maybe you could go with "Write them down.Maybe you're still missing something." It's my opinion. >.<
(because one mustn't forget the explosions: fire roaring and splinters flying and light erupting, oh so much light, painting their silhouettes red and black over one another, in an apotheosis of adrenaline and laughter.)
This sentence was a bit too long, in this piece. It sort of broke the poetic flow you had built so far.
This bit is my fave.
Here is a story about love: the doctor is smiling in spite of himself, even as he carries a last box full of ink-darkened notebooks out of the room and picks up the pieces of his heart he's scattered there over the years and years. There are many words swirling just out of reach right now: yes and no and I have to do this and I'm sorry and tell me something, anything, tell me a story. Please say something. The detective knows this. In his eyes there are those years of laughter and longing and if he were to ask now, the answer might not be no.

Take the ring at your finger
I think it should be 'on.'

Ay, that's as much as I can tell. Good work.
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:17 pm
PandorasChild says...

Hey,
Listen, this was stunning. So beautiful. Ive read it about three times now, even aloud, and its amazing. It needs a better word.. I cant find it.. but its perfect, so perfect, so perfectly written, so neat but yet so.. there it is again, the word i cant find..
Well done.
I wish to be like you when I am big.
"Dad, I'm hungry."
Hello hungry!
"Dad! I'm serious."
I thought you were hungry?
"Are you kidding me?"
No. I'm dad.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:06 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hey, Jag!

So, I told you that I find this hard to review and I do. Your writing, to me, seems seamless when you read it at first. The whole thing kind of flows with the way that you write it - it's hard to describe, but the whole thing is quite tight-knit. There don't seem to be many holes in it, you've obviously crafted it well and thought about it a lot.

But I also felt that this made the story harder to penetrate. It seems a little distant from the reader, like they can't quite connect with it because the whole thing seems so difficult at first.

To me, that just means that it's something you read over and over again. I think that it's really beautiful. I didn't, perhaps, connect with it as much as I would have liked. Part of this is probably due to the fact I'm not such a big Sherlock Holmes fan. Another reason could maybe be because the whole thing is just so neat.

Anyway, great job. Apologies for the mediocre critique.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

No one achieves anything alone.
— Leslie Knope