z

Young Writers Society

A Place to Belong part 1

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:47 pm
Celticmusicgirl says...

I am dodging burning debris every where I turn as I try desperatly to escape my burning home. I just barely get by as a rafter crashing down to the floor. I hope Dad and Padriac made it out alright. I don't know what I would do without my brother Padraic or my dad Kieran. As I approach the nearest window, I see people outside waiting. When I climb out the window, I see Dr. Cullen waiting close to an ambulance and fire truck. I start to run over to him calling out his name but, I quickly become too exhausted to run anymore and collapse half-way between the paramedics and my home.

"She's coming around," I hear as I regain conciousness.
When I awake, instead of seeing the typical hospital scene(equiptment, nurses, etc.), I see that instead of lying in a hospital bed, I am on a couch in a large sized room with, in which, the back wall seems to be made out of a single window, for I could see out into the woods. then there is a few chairs randomly placed, a television and a concert piano close to the back wall. As I look about the room I notice seven people watching me intently. One was a fairly tall man with light blonde hair who I automatically know is Dr. Cullen. Another, a woman with shoulder length brown hair and golden brown eyes. Then there is a younger man who is tall and has red hair and yet, a younger man with blonde hair. I notice that there are two others there also, one a tall girl with long blonde hair and the other also a girl, with short spikey black hair. Then there is the real tall black haired guy who looks like a football quarterback or something.
"Alanna," Dr. Cullen says gently, "how are you feeling? Are you in any pain?"
After a minute or two i respond "um, no I don't think i'm hurting anywhere."
"How do you feel?"
"Dizzy." and a little creeped out with all these people staring at me, I think to myself looking about the room.
Then, as if I had said it out loud a tall red headed boy looks away quickly.
"This doesn't look like a hospital room," I observe.
"It's not," then a brunette woman is at Dr. Cullen's side in an instant, "we thought you may be more comfotable here at our home."
This must be Mrs. Cullen. She's very pretty.
Not knowing what to say I just nodded in response. Then I remember my family, "What about Padriac and Dad?"
Dr. and Mrs. Cullen exchanged a quick glance, then turned their attention back to me.
"You must be tired," Mrs. Cullen soothingly says. "Why don't you go back to sleep?"
"Please tell me Padraic made it out."
"Padraic made it out with a few second degree burns just as you did," Dr. Cullen answers. "But on the other hand your dad...well... Kieran wasn't found."
"Tell me, is Padraic ok?"
"He is fine. He is just asleep. And you need to get some sleep too."
So I do as I am told and go back to sleep.
Last edited by Celticmusicgirl on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"No life is forever. We found and fought here. We loved and died here... The crops whither and the bones of hunger walk the sunken roads... The land has failed us... In dance and song we gift and mourn our children. They carry us over the ocean in dance and song.
-American Wake by Riverdance

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:51 am
View Likes
SporkPunk says...

Hi Celticmusicgirl! I'm SporkPunk, and I'll review this today.

Grammar:
Well, this bit was quite short, so there weren't many errors, so to speak, but there are a few.
1. Capitalize the "I" as a personal pronoun. Always.
2. Commas are your friends---use them. Without them, the reader doesn't know where to pause, and the flow is then destroyed. Try reading it aloud, and you can see what I mean.
Basically, you can fix all of these errors by proofreading.

Plot:
It's hard to comment on a paragraph's plot, but I'll try. This seems more original than other Twilight fanfics, so that's good. Other than that, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. Perhaps, and I'd never thought I'd say this, you could post more at a time. :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Okay, before I start, I will be honest for a second. I have never read the Twilight saga. Okay, I think that's enough on that. Due to the fact that I have never read it, I will be reviewing this fanfic as if it is a stand-alone novel or short story. Almost like I am someone who thinks it is an original and is reading it as such.

First off, I believe that you may have started too fast. I start reading and all of a sudden, BLAM fire and brimstone. I respect the fact that you are trying to start us off in the action, but I kind of wanted a little bit on how the fire started, who your character is, who your character's father is... And who Padriac is. As it stood, I didn't see a fully developed character, so there was no emotional connection that made me want her to survive.

I guess the entire thing could have been expanded a little more. Like, when there was a scene change and there were 6 people in the room. I didn't know what they looked like, I didn't know who Dr. Cullen was, and you didn't seem to give me enough to see a room. It just seemed like a blank slate.

So, my advise would be to expand. Don't be afraid of making it lengthier with more description. Other than that, I think you have a good start on whatever it is you are planning. Keep it up! :)
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:18 pm
cfakc says...

Yeah, it went by [i]really[i] fast. Detail, detail, detail! Don't forget. Oh... one more thing. DETAIL!!!!!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:10 pm
BubbleGirl says...

Hiya, Celtic!
There's not a lot here for me to review, but so far this seems to be a pretty original Twilight fanfic! It starts off fast, with lots of danger, but then I can't help getting a bit confused. How did Brigid end up at the Cullen's house? Also, why wasn't she brought to a hospital instead, especially if she has second-degree burns? I'm a bit worried for her.
This is a very interesting beginning, and I'm going to go read the second part now. Maybe that will answer my questions.
Keep writing! :)
"I didn't lie! I was writing fiction with my mouth!" -Homer Simpson

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:19 pm
hockeyfan87 says...

Celticmusicgirl wrote:I am dodging burning debris every where I turncomma as I try desperatly to escape my burning home. I just barely get by commaas a rafter crashing down to the floor. I hope Dad and Padriac made it out alright. I don't know what I would do without my brothercomma Padraiccomma or my dad commaKieran. As I approach the nearest window, I see people outside waiting. When I climb out the window, I see Dr. Cullen waiting close to an ambulance and fire truck. I start to run over to him calling out his name but, I quickly become too exhausted to run anymore and collapse half-way between the paramedics and my home.

"She's coming around," I hearcomma as I regain conciousness.
When I awake, instead of seeing the typical hospital scene(equiptment, nurses, etc.)delete the (Equipment part) , I see that instead of lying in a hospital bed, I am on a couch in a large sized room withdelete with, in which, the back wall seems to be made out of a single window, for I could see out into the woods. then there is a few chairs randomly placed, a television commaand a concert piano close to the back wall. As I look about the roomcomma I notice seven people watching me intently. One was a fairly tall man with lightcomma blonde hair who I automatically know is Dr. Cullen. Another, a woman with shoulder length commabrown hair and golden commabrown eyes. Then commathere is a younger man who is tall and has red hair and yet, a younger man with blonde hair. I notice that there are two others there also, one a tall girl with long blonde hair and the other also a girl, with short spikey black hair. Then there is the real tall black haired guy who looks like a football quarterback or something.
"Brigid," Dr. Cullen says gently, "how are you feeling? Are you in any pain?"
After a minute or two icapital I respond "umcapitalize U, no I don't think i'm I'm not i'mhurting anywhere."
"How do you feel?"
"Dizzy." and a little creeped out with all these people staring at me, I think to myself looking about the room.
Then, as if I had said it out loud a tall commared headed boy looks away quickly.
"It's not," then a brunette woman is at Dr. Cullen's side in an instant, "we thought you may be more comfotable herecomma at our home."
Not knowing what to say commaI just nodded in response. Then I remember my family, "What about Padriac and Dad?"
Dr. and Mrs. Cullen exchanged a quick glance, then turned their attention back to me.
"You must be tired," Mrs. Cullen soothingly says. "Why don't you go back to sleep?"
"Padraic made it out with a few 2nd degree burns just as you did," Dr. Cullen answers. "But on the other hand your dad...well... Kieran wasn't found."
"Tell me is Padraic ok?"
"He is fine. He is just asleep. and you need to get some sleep too."
So I do as I am told commaand go back to sleep.

Good, I went back to read this after I read your Cullens Christmas story, which was good by the way as well as this was. Just minor mistakes that are simple to fix, if you agree with them, which you don't have to since, well, you're the author. Lots of love
Jenn
when you grow up you realize that Prince Charming is not as easy to find as you thought. You realize the bad guy is not wearing a black cape and he's not easy to spot; he's really funny, and he makes you laugh, and he has perfect hair and isnt wearing a black cape and easy to spot Lots of Love Jenn

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:39 am
Error404 says...

Hey there, Error404 here and ready to review! :D
Brace yourself for Grammar Nazi attack! Haha, just kidding! ;)
Personally, I not a fan of the Twilight saga but I assure you that will not influence my reviewing. Also, please forgive me if I'm being to critical, I get a little carried away sometimes...
Suggestions/editing in red.
Bits I like in green.

I am dodging burning debris every where I turn as I try desperatly to escape my burning home. (Using these two words in one sentence seems a little repetitive. The ole thesaurus should be of some assistance, maybe use a synonom like scorching, flaming, blazing?) I just barely get by as a rafter crashing down to the floor. (Try re-reading this out loud. Unless you are using a rafter in a similie, it doesn't make sense. The word "crashing" should be replaced with "crashes") I hope Dad and Padriac made it out alright. I don't know what I would do without my brother, Padraic or my dad, Kieran. As I approach the nearest window, I see people outside waiting. When I climb out the window, I see Dr. Cullen waiting close to an ambulance and fire truck. I start to run over to him calling out his name but, I quickly become too exhausted to run anymore and collapse half-way between the paramedics and my home.

"She's coming around," I hear as I regain conciousness.
When I awake, instead of seeing the typical hospital scene(equiptment, nurses, etc.) (This isn't usually used in short stories). I see that instead of lying in a hospital bed, I am on a couch in a large sized room with, in which, the back wall seems to be made out of a single window, for I could see out into the woods (This sentence is massive! Maybe try shortening it a little and place a few fullstops inbetween that forest of commas). Then, there are a few chairs randomly placed, a television and a concert piano close to the back wall. As I look about the room I notice seven people watching me intently. One was a fairly tall man with light blonde hair who I automatically know is Dr. Cullen. Another, a woman with shoulder length brown hair and golden brown eyes. Then, there is a younger man who is tall and has red hair and yet, a younger man with blonde hair. I notice that there are two others there also, one a tall girl with long blonde hair and the other also a girl, with short spikey black hair. Then, there is the real tall black haired guy who looks like a football quarterback or something.
"Brigid," Dr. Cullen says gently, "how are you feeling? Are you in any pain?"
After a minute or two i (replace with a capital "I") respond, "Um, no I don't think I'm hurting anywhere."
"How do you feel?"
"Dizzy," and a little creeped out with all these people staring at me, I think to myself looking about the room. Then, as if I had said it out loud a tall, red headed boy looks away quickly.
"It's not," then a brunette woman is at Dr. Cullen's side in an instant, "We thought you may be more comfotable here at our home."
Not knowing what to say I just nodded in response. Then I remember my family, "What about Padriac and Dad?"

"You must be tired," Mrs. Cullen soothingly says, "Why don't you go back to sleep?"
"Padraic made it out with a few 2nd (Try replacing this with "second") degree burns just as you did," Dr. Cullen answers, "But on the other hand your Dad...well... Kieran wasn't found."
"Tell me is Padraic ok?"
"He is fine. He is just asleep. And you need to get some sleep too."
So, I do as I am told and go back to sleep.

OVERALL:
Good work! I liked the plot, since- as another member stated -it was unique to other twilight fanfics. You're spelling is great as I hardly found any errors; On the other hand, you're grammar could do with a bit of a polish here and there. I want to know a bit more about your main character; What are they like, how do they look, how is their relationship with their family, do they know the Cullens? Development of a character is a key point in any story. Nevertheless, it's good!

Well done and keep writing,
~Error404

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 am
niclie says...

it was so quick. I know this is just a start to your story and i think you flow is nice but i would like so more detail. Keep up the writing and the good work.

"I think; therefore, I am."
— RenĂ© Descartes