z

Young Writers Society

Welcome to the Funhouse, Faxness (Maximum Ride)

Reviews: 4
Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:13 pm
View Likes
joickjonas2118 says...

Welcome to the Funhouse, Faxness
Chapter 1
“FANG!” I SCREAMED, striving to save the love of my life. Just a little farther, Max…You can reach him, I lied to myself.
“Go, Max,” Fang said weakly. “Save yourself.” Tears slipped out of my eyes as he said this.
“No! Not without you!” I cried out, struggling to reach him. Ari had Fang in his grip, and I knew deep down, I would never be able to save Fang. I would never be able to see him run his hands through his midnight black hair. Never again would I get to see that smirk of his when he and I both knew he was right, but I wouldn’t admit it.
It seemed like my wings refused to move any further; as if they were on Ari’s side, and wouldn’t let me save Fang. Adrenaline pumped through my blood, but it wasn’t enough. I needed the strength to kill Ari and save Fang. “Go, Max,” Fang said weakly, not even trying to save himself. Ari knew this was his cue to fly into the helicopter that would bring them to…the School. Where death brings less pain than what they could do to him.
They had figured out how to break me—the whitecoats. They knew that I would do anything to save him. But I won’t let them win. No, I AM going to do it without the whitecoats getting to me. But first, I need a plan--Like...how long it would take to take out Ari, the Erasers, and all the whitecoats.
Chapter 2
“ANGEL!” I CRIED OUT WHILE sprinting into our home. My little angel—named Angel—came around the corner, looking at me concerned.
“Yes, Max?” she asked, sounding, like always, much older than seven years old.
“I need your help. But first, where are the others?” The others, being the rest of my flock; Iggy, Gazzy, Nudge, and Total, who is our little Scottish terrier-like dog. Who talks, and has wings. That just shows how messed up my life is. All of the flock can fly, not just Total. See, we were genetically “enhanced” with bird DNA. None of us know if we had real parents or if we’re just test-tube babies. By the way, Erasers are human-lupine hybrids. The rest of my flock—Nudge can draw metal to her at her own will, hack into any computer, and feel leftover emotions. Iggy is blind and can feel colors, recognize us just by the sound of our wing patterns, or really anything else, cook better than Rachel Ray, and creates bombs. Angel, my angel, is amazing. She can read and control minds, hold her breath underwater like a fish, talk to fish, and she has a Voice, just like I do. I’ll explain the Voice later. Gazzy is her older brother. He can mimic any voice or sound, makes bombs with Iggy, and…well…the name “the Gasman” should say a lot. Fang…some might say it’s not much of a power, but he can turn invisible by slowing down everything in his body. (Heartbeat, breathing, etc.) Now, we get to me—Max. I can fly at warp speed. Plus, I’ve got this little Voice in my head called—state the obvious—the Voice. It guides me when I need it, annoys me when I don’t. I can’t tell if it’s young or old, male or female, young or old. Max, I can assure you I’m a friend, the Voice “said” into my head. I one could roll their eyes at the Voice, I think I just did.

Chapter 3
“MAX…THE OTHERS have been gone for hours. Gazzy and Iggy had went out into the woods to build a bomb to protect everyone, and Nudge, I have no idea. The boys said they’d come back on the hour to check in, but…nothing.” My head started spinning, automatically thinking the worst. Erasers have kidnapped them…
My eyes widened and I took off with a quick leap, spreading my wings. I pumped my wings hard and fast, trying to find them as fast as possible. I used all the force in my body to find Iggy, Gazzy, and Nudge, but it wasn’t helping. “Nudge! Iggy! Gazzy!” I screeched, trying to get their attention. I hoped there were no Erasers in the area, knowing they would try to kidnap me, too.
Soon enough, I saw three little mutant bird kids flying to me. “Max! What’s going on?!” Nudge questioned.
“F-Fang…they have him.” Everyone gasped in unison, shocked.
“Oh, no…” Nudge whispered. Usually, she would've gone into a worried babble. We all knew there would be no way to rescue him. It took all we had to save Angel when she was kidnapped by Erasers. We all flew home and I crawled into bed, ashamed. It’s all my fault, Fang… I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you…
Last edited by joickjonas2118 on Sat May 14, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lauren

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:21 pm
Torigirl15 says...

Hey! Tori here for a review! ^^

Okay, first off, I absolutely love the Maximum Ride series, and I'm really excited that you decided to do a fan fiction about it! Because I'm a very avid reader of this series, I might be a little harsh on my corrections. Sorry about that. Hopefully you can use my comments in this writing and your future work. =)
Anyway, onto the review. XD

joickjonas2118 wrote:Welcome to the Funhouse, Faxness
Chapter 1
“FANG!” I SCREAMED, striving to save the love of my life. Just a little farther, Max…You can reach him, This should probably be in italics, because it's a thought. I lied to myself.
“Go, Max,” Fang said weakly. “Save yourself.” Tears slipped out of my eyes as he said this.
“No! Not without you!” I cried out, struggling to reach him. Ari had Fang in his grip.Combine the sentence before this correction and the one after. Ex. 'Ari had Fang in his grip, and I knew deep down I would never be able to save my best friend.' Just a suggestion. I knew deep down, I would never be able to save Fang. I would never be able to see him run his hands through his midnight black hair. Never again would I get to see This sounds redundant. Try to change up the way you phrase things. that smirk of his when he and I both knew he was right, but wouldn’t admit it. Who wouldn't admit it? I realize it's probably not Fang who won't admit he's right, but specify that.
It seemed like my wings refused to move any further. As if they were on Ari’s side, and wouldn’t let me save Fang. Maybe combine those two sentences too. How ever you do it, they should be changed so that they flow better. Adrenaline pumped through my blood, but it wasn’t enough. I needed the strength to kill Ari and save Fang. “Go, Max,” Fang said weakly, not even trying to save himself. Ari knew this was his cue to fly into the helicopter that would bring them to…the School. Where death brings less pain than what they could do to him.
They had figured out how to break me—the whitecoats. They knew that I would do anything to save him. But I won’t let them win. No, I AM This is a tense change. Did you intended to switch from past to present then back to past in the next section? My suggestion is to make it one or the other, because suddenly switching tenses like this can be slightly confusing, and very distracting. going to do it without the whitecoats getting to me. First, I need a plan. First off, how long it would take to take out Ari, the Erasers, and all the whitecoats. Put a question mark here. Also, this last sentence seems kind of random. You might want to change the wording.
Chapter 2
“ANGEL!” I CRIED OUT WHILE sprinting into our home. My little angel—named Angel—came around the corner, looking at me concerned.
“I need your help. But first, where are the others?” The others, being the rest of my flock; Iggy, Gazzy, Nudge, and Total, who is our little Scottish terrier-like dog. Who talks, and has wings. That just shows how messed up my life is. All of the flock can fly, not just Total. See, we were genetically “enhanced” with bird DNA. None of us know if we had real parents or if we’re just test-tube babies. By the way, Erasers are human-lupine hybrids. The rest of my flock—Nudge can draw metal to her at her own will, hack into any computer, and feel leftover emotions. Iggy is blind and can feel colors, recognize us just by the sound of our wing patterns, or really anything else, cook better than Rachel Ray, and creates bombs. Angel, my angel, is amazing. She can read and control minds, hold her breath underwater like a fish, talk to fish, and she has a Voice, just like I do. I’ll explain the Voice later. Gazzy is her older brother. He can mimic any voice or sound, makes bombs with Iggy, and…well…the name “the Gasman” should say a lot. Fang…some might say it’s not much of a power, but he can turn invisible by slowing down everything in his body. (Heartbeat, breathing, etc.) Now, we get to me—Max. I can fly at warp speed. Plus, I've got this little Voice in my head called—state the obvious—the Voice. It guides me when I need it, annoys me when I don’t. I can’t tell if it’s young or old, male or female, young or old, You already said this. friend or foe. Max, I can assure you I’m a friend,Italics for thoughts the Voice “said” into my head. I I think this is a typo. should be If?one could roll their head at the Voice, I think I just did. This paragraph is info dumping. Quite frankly, it's boring to read. Try to integrate the contents of this paragraph within the rest of the story.
That was an extremely short chapter. I would combine it with your Chapter Three. It doesn't really make any sense to have something this short be called a chapter.

Chapter 3
“MAX…THE OTHERS have been gone for hours. Gazzy and Iggy had gone out into the woods to build a bomb to protect everyone, and Nudge, I have no idea. The boys said they’d come back on the hour to check in, but…nothing.” My head started spinning, automatically thinking the worst. Erasers have kidnapped them…
My eyes widened and I took off with a quick leap, spreading my wings. I pumped my wings Try not to repeat the word wings. hard and fast, trying to find them as fast as possible. I used all the force in my body to find Iggy, Gazzy, and Nudge, but it wasn't helping. How exactly was she using all the force in her body to look for them? Show the readers, don't tell them. “Nudge! Iggy! Gazzy!” I screeched, trying to get their attention. I hoped there were no Erasers in the area, knowing they would try to kidnap me, too.
Soon enough, I saw three little mutant bird kids flying to me. “Max! What’s going on?!” Nudge questioned.
“Oh, no…” Nudge whispered. We all knew there would be no way to save him. It took all we had to save Don't repeat the same verb here. Angel when she was kidnapped by Erasers. We all flew home and I crawled into bed, ashamed. It’s all my fault, Fang… I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you…

A note about the characters...
Max: She doesn't really get developed enough in your writing. It might just be because the section you have posted is so sort, but try to show us more of what she's like. Also, in the books, she's not so... for lack of a better word, weak. She would refuse to show the flock how depressed she was feeling about Fang. She wouldn't freak out to find the flock, she might actually try to save him by herself, because she wouldn't want to endanger the rest of her family.
Fang: I have the same comments as above for him. Make him fight back a little, or put a little action in. This will draw the reader in.
The Flock: I thought you did pretty well on the rest of the flock.
Ari: Describe him a little more, so that the audience understands who/what he is.

Sorry if this was a little harsh, but I hope this will help you with this fan fiction, and other stories in the future!
Excellent work, I loved it! Keep writing, and let me know if you post more to this story, or if you post anything else! I'll be sure to review it!
-Tori =D
Xx This side of mortality is
scaring me to death
to death xX

-The Temper Trap: Soldier On

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:42 am
View Likes
Alexwriter says...

Chapter 1

“FANG!” I SCREAMED, striving to save the love of my life. Just a little farther, Max…You can reach him,This should be in italics I lied to myself.

“No! Not without you!” I cried out, struggling to reach him. Ari had Fang in his grip. I knew deep down, I would never be able to save Fang. I would never be able to see him run his hands through his midnight black hair. Never again would I get to see that smirk of his when he and I both knew he was right, but wouldn’t admit it.

It seemed like my wings refused to move any further. As if they were on Ari’s side, and wouldn’t let me save Fang. Adrenaline pumped through my blood, but it wasn’t enough. I needed the strength to kill Ari and save Fang. “Go, Max,” Fang said weakly, not even trying to save himself. Ari knew this was his cue to fly into the helicopter that would bring them to…the School. Where death brings less pain than what they could do to him.

They had figured out how to break me—the whitecoats. They knew that I would do anything to save him. But I won’t let them win. No, I AM going to do it without the whitecoats getting to me. First, I need a plan. First off, how long it would take to take out Ari, the Erasers, and all the whitecoats.

Chapter 2

“I need your help. But first, where are the others?” The others, being the rest of my flock; Iggy, Gazzy, Nudge, and Total, who is our little Scottish terrier-like dog. Who talks, and has wings. That just shows how messed up my life is. All of the flock can fly, not just Total. See, we were genetically “enhanced” with bird DNA. None of us know if we had real parents or if we’re just test-tube babies. By the way, Erasers are human-lupine hybrids. The rest of my flock—Nudge can draw metal to her at her own will, hack into any computer, and feel leftover emotions. Iggy is blind and can feel colors, recognize us just by the sound of our wing patterns, or really anything else, cook better than Rachel Ray, and creates bombs. Angel, my angel, is amazing. She can read and control minds, hold her breath underwater like a fish, talk to fish, and she has a Voice, just like I do. I’ll explain the Voice later. Gazzy is her older brother. He can mimic any voice or sound, makes bombs with Iggy, and…well…the name “the Gasman” should say a lot. Fang…some might say it’s not much of a power, but he can turn invisible by slowing down everything in his body. (Heartbeat, breathing, etc.) Now, we get to me—Max. I can fly at warp speed. Plus, I’ve got this little Voice in my head called—state the obvious—the Voice. It guides me when I need it, annoys me when I don’t. I can’t tell if it’s young or old, male or female, young or old, friend or foe. Max, I can assure you I’m a friend, the Voice “said” into my head. I one could roll their head at the Voice, I think I just did.

Chapter 3

“MAX…THE OTHERS have been gone for hours. Gazzy and Iggy had gone out into the woods maybe this should be 'have' or 'they went out into the woods' to build a bomb to protect everyone, and Nudge, I have no idea. The boys said they’d come back on the hour to check in, but…nothing.” My head started spinning, automatically thinking the worst. Erasers have kidnapped them…

My eyes widened and I took off with a quick leap, spreading my wings. I pumped my wings hard and fast, trying to find them as fast as possible. I used all the force in my body to find Iggy, Gazzy, and Nudge, but it wasn’t helping. “Nudge! Iggy! Gazzy!” I screeched, trying to get their attention. I hoped there were no Erasers in the area, knowing they would try to kidnap me, too.

“Oh, no…” Nudge whispered. Usually Nudge would begin a babble of worried chatter. If not, at least say that she was unusually silent otherwise you're not really portraying her character We all knew there would be no way to save himMax is never this hopeless. It's just not in her nature.. It took all we had to save Angel when she was kidnapped by Erasers. We all flew home and I crawled into bed, ashamed.Max would prioritise the others over her own emotions, maybe even give them a pep talk It’s all my fault, Fang… I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you… where is the strong, stoic, ass-kicking max we all know and love?

Sorry if I'm being a bit harsh but I love this series. I'm so glad you wrote it. Just consider my nit-pickings as proof of my Maximum Ride fandom?
I reject your reality and substitute my own

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:13 am
Peach says...

Hi! I read Maximum Ride a few years ago, they were pretty good. I think you kind of missed her sarcasm in places, although it's hard to put sarcasm and Max's personality in writing. You made her a little weak too, this is like a complete breakdown for max. ;) It's alright though, easy to fix. Also, not neccessary to write screamed in capitals at the start. Fang in capitals is enough. Love the ending, " I'm sorry I couldn't save you. . ." Great writing!

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat May 07, 2011 8:06 pm
Ryanator96 says...

Hey! Great to see a Max fanfiction on here! I absolutely loved the series when I read it a few years back, and I was happy to be reunited with it today, so thank you for that :)

So, without further ado, here we go...

First off I have a few general statements to make... first off, your use of chapters here is a good idea, but each one is so short the whole thing feels kind of rushed, almost like journal entries. If you were to expand on this story I would say that this whole thing could maybe be a chapter, or even part of one. Second, I'm guessing that the capitals at the beginning of each chapter are being used for style, rather than emphasizing the words there? I've personally tried this myself on YWS and it is hard to tell the it is a formatting technique. It works in books, but it's just too easy to mistake for emphasis on here. Just a few things to work on...

Welcome to the Funhouse, Faxness
Chapter 1
“FANG!” I SCREAMED, striving to save the love of my life. Just a little farther, Max…You can reach him,I know others have mentioned this, but all thoughts should be put in italics, same with when the Voice is talking. It's just easier to understand. I lied to myself.
“No! Not without you!” I cried out, struggling to reach him. Ari had Fang in his grip. I knew deep down, I would never be able to save Fang. I would nevertry saying never again be able to... be able to see him run his hands through his midnight black hair. Never again would I get to see that smirk of his when he and I both knew he was right, but wouldn’t admit it.
It seemed like my wings refused to move any further.combine these two sentences As if they were on Ari’s side, and wouldn’t let me save Fang. Adrenaline pumped through my blood, but it wasn’t enough. I needed the strength to kill Ari and save Fang. “Go, Max,” Fang said weakly, not even trying to save himself. Ari knew this was his cue to fly into the helicopter that would bring them to…the School. Where death brings less pain than what they could do to him.
They had figured out how to break me—the whitecoats. They knew that I would do anything to save him. But I won’t let them win. No, I AM going to do it without the whitecoats getting to me. First, I need a plan. First off, how long it would take to take out Ari, the Erasers, and all the whitecoats.
Chapter 2
“I need your help. But first, where are the others?” The others, being the rest of my flock; Iggy, Gazzy, Nudge, and Total, who is our little Scottish terrier-like dog. Who talks, and has wings. That just shows how messed up my life is. All of the flock can fly, not just Total. See, we were genetically “enhanced” with bird DNA. None of us know if we had real parents or if we’re just test-tube babies. By the way, Erasers are human-lupine hybrids. The rest of my flock—Nudge can draw metal to her at her own will, hack into any computer, and feel leftover emotions. Iggy is blind and can feel colors, recognize us just by the sound of our wing patterns, or really anything else, cook better than Rachel Ray, and creates bombs. Angel, my angel, is amazing. She can read and control minds, hold her breath underwater like a fish, talk to fish, and she has a Voice, just like I do. I’ll explain the Voice later. Gazzy is her older brother. He can mimic any voice or sound, makes bombs with Iggy, and…well…the name “the Gasman” should say a lot. Fang…some might say it’s not much of a power, but he can turn invisible by slowing down everything in his body. (Heartbeat, breathing, etc.) Now, we get to me—Max. I can fly at warp speed. Plus, I’ve got this little Voice in my head called—state the obvious—the Voice. It guides me when I need it, annoys me when I don’t. I can’t tell if it’s young or old, male or female, young or old, friend or foe. Max, I can assure you I’m a friend,remember, italics the Voice “said” into my head. I one could roll their headdid you mean to say eyes? at the Voice, I think I just did. That whole paragraph seemed a little rushed, take your time, and plan out your thoughts. There's no word limit here. It would save some of the gramatical errors and missed words.

Chapter 3
“MAX…THE OTHERS have been gone for hours. Gazzy and Iggy had gone out into the woods to build a bomb to protect everyone, and Nudge, I have no idea. The boys said they’d come back on the hour to check in, but…nothing.” My head started spinning, automatically thinking the worst. Erasers have kidnapped them…
“Oh, no…” Nudge whispered. We all knew there would be no way to save him. It took all we had to save Angel when she was kidnapped by Erasers. We all flew home and I crawled into bed, ashamed. It’s all my fault, Fang… I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you…Nice ending, but it seems that as soon as she found the three kids she just gave up on Fang, or you just wanted to end the story. Once again, just relax, and take your time.

I know I probably missed some grammar stuff in there, but I try not to nitpick too much on reviews. It's a computer, typos happen. Other than the few story based ideas, this was actually a very well written story, I'll keep my eye out for more of your material from now on, great work! :)
The future ain't what it used to be.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun May 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Liveinthelight says...

I've read most of the Maximum Ride books (save for the one that recently came out) and I personally don't like them. However, I absolutely love the general idea for the books and reading fanfiction about it to see how others might improve upon it, so here goes. I apologize in advance if I soundd harsh; I'm not one to sugarcoat what I say. I'm only going to dissect the first chapter of this because I'm lazy and blah it's where I see problems that are familiar to me.

Try to use a strong verb to replace 'said' especially if you need an adverb after it. For me, 'said' is generally appropriate to use if you're trying to show the reader who is speaking without distracting them from the actual dialog. In this case, I would try to use something that implies weakness, so something that shows that he's speaking to her quietly. Mumbled, murmured, and whispered are just a few. It's better to say something in fewer words if you can, especially if it includes avoiding adverbs.

I cried out, struggling to reach him. Ari had Fang in his grip, and I knew deep down, I would never be able to save Fang. I would never be able to see him run his hands through his midnight black hair. Never again would I get to see that smirk of his when he and I both knew he was right, but I wouldn’t admit it.

It's been a while since I've read the books (something that I'm probably not going to do again), so I'm not so sure about the accuracy of what she's doing and thinking here. Perhaps it's just because the books are filled with so much action, but this, to me, doesn't seem characteristic of Max. I didn't exactly like her character in the books either, but here it's almost as if she's pausing to reflect. This is alright, but it usually depends on the character. Max doesn't seem like the type of character who sits back and thinks constantly. Max is the kind of character who acts and achieves things rather than dwelling on them.

It seemed like my wings refused to move any further; as if they were on Ari’s side, and wouldn’t let me save Fang. Adrenaline pumped through my blood, but it wasn’t enough. I needed the strength to kill Ari and save Fang. “Go, Max,” Fang said weakly, not even trying to save himself. Ari knew this was his cue to fly into the helicopter that would bring them to…the School. Where death brings less pain than what they could do to him.

This is a much better paragraph than the last in the way of staying in character, but still, there are a few fatal flaws. You're using the word 'weakly' like a crutch, so it would be wise to switch up your word choice there. HUGE problem here though: This is in FIRST PERSON and strictly in Max's point of view. You can't explain that Ari knew his cue because Max shouldn't know what Ari is thinking, unless Max has developed another amazingly wonderful power that I'm not aware of. Also, you repeated the phrase 'save Fang' twice, and it's a bit redundant.

They had figured out how to break me—the whitecoats. They knew that I would do anything to save him. But I won’t let them win. No, I AM going to do it without the whitecoats getting to me. But first, I need a plan--Like...how long it would take to take out Ari, the Erasers, and all the whitecoats.

This is good characterization. Strength, power, determination; this is the kind of thing that defines Max. This is where the real reflection/thinking should go, in Max's case. Once the action is over she can wallow in her misery at Fang being gone all she wants, because I imagine that nothing really sinks in for her until after the initial attack.

That's all I have to say, I think. Overall, this is pretty good. You do an okay job of showing Max's personality, and other than a few issues with grammar and word choice it's not bad. I love it. <3
You treat life like a picture
but it's not a moment that's frozen in time

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 am
SuicideCrusader says...

Interesting begining. It does catch your interest immediaely. I do feel that the explanation of who is who in the second chapter feels outta place or lacking Concern for Fang. Also I feel Max's defeated attitude doesn't fit her especially considering how she feels about Fang.

Anyway keep it coming I wanna see what happens next.

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe