Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm
BluesClues says...

It's the kind of energy that needs a quiet autumn evening,

so I give it one.

Long strides past smooth silent trees and
the rippling canal, lungs cracking,
an orange leafy smell away from
noise and candy,

which haven't happened yet but are imminent.

My garden is the only spot of bright color
left in the whole black-and-dead yard,
fun-fear-colored by jack-o-lanterns and plastic tombstones.

Minute upon minute I put behind me,
though not miles
(there are no miles in a small lake-town),
but my legs are not tired when I return,

and I feel like I may never be able to walk enough.

Reviews: 1
Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 pm
Lulu99 says...

I liked it. But some more details/imagery can go a long way. But I did enjoy reading it. :)

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:33 pm
paintingtherain97 says...

This is great. The language was nice. It had a nice sound to it, sharp and clean-cut like the angles on a square. The way you included all of the senses was good, too. But the syllables in the lines were uneven. The lines should sound about the same amount of syllables as each other. I also think you could add a bit more detail. What about the frightful witches that cackle in the streets, little bumblebees toddling down the lanes? I can see this poem definitely going places, though. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to reading more from you. :)
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:21 pm
IamHathor22 says...

Hey There -
This was a pleasure to read, but I have some suggestions...
First - there are a lot of cut and clean syllables - they sort of jut out at you - it isnt a clean rhythm... For example you start of with a sentece that puts the reader in the middle of the action or story, and put yourself into it as well. Then there are a lot of 'L' sounds (long strides, lungs...) and 'S' sounds that give it the smooth, luxorious, relaxed feeling. At the same time there are some harsher sounds... Was that your goal> I personally like a lot of flow and rhythm in my work but it isnt always best... It depends on what works for you...
Not unlike this review, there is also a lot of rambling... That gives it a dawdling, sort of feeling...
This was interesting. Good work. I must admit, the title was a bit unoriginal, and I was hoping for some more imagery, but this is the start of something wondrful, I'm sure. Keep working, paintingtherain - you have potential.

Best Regards -
IamHathor22
All I that know is that I know nothing
-Socrates

Want Hathor's review? Write a note on my wall. Simple as that.

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf