You haven't gone anywhere.

But why have you gone?
It must be me,
Or what I've done,
Your silent treatment is killing me
But now I am here all alone,
And I can't help but wonder,
Where have you gone?
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:00 am
Chevy says...

i thought this was a good one when i wrote it,but now that i read it over and over, i see that its not so good. however, i would like to know what you think about it.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:19 am
Nate says...

It sounds very repititive and very disjointed in places such as with "I stand in solitaire" and "Meaning is so apart from me." Both of those lines need some working. Also "except" at the end of the second stanza needs to be changed to "accept."

But, I also got a really good sense of the speaker's insecurity. You brought it out really well with the internal questioning and lines like "And I don't understand."

Overall, I thought it was good with definite potential.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:59 pm
Beware says...

I really like the first part of the poem, but after that it did start to go downhill a bit. The feeling of defiance in the second verse/stanza is great and the general emotion behind the rest is really good too. :) It is a little repetitive in places and could do with some editing in places, though.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:40 am
bubblewrapped says...

Right now, its not incredible. No worries, though, coz it definitely has potential ;). There are some good places and some not so good but overall I really enjoyed it.

"And I was just wondering--
Where have you gone?
It was just the other day,
It was you I relied on.
But now, you've gone,
And I don't understand."

This stanza is almost like a song. The rhyming makes it a bit awkward - I dont think "It was you I relied on" is long enough somehow. And "It" should be altered to something else, either in that line or the one above, because the repetition stops the flow and it becomes slightly stilted. Overall I enjoyed this verse, though, beginning as though in the middle of a conversation and definitely showing the insecurity of the narrator in "I dont understand" - very powerful.

"Now I am walking alone.
I stand in solitaire.
You ARE gone, you know--
Meaning so is apart of me
I hate to bother you,
But your departure,
I will not welcome.
I won't except your non-existence."

"I am" should be "I'm" in this stanza, I think. I like "I stand in solitare", although, sadly, it doesnt quite follow. "Meaning so is apart of me" should be changed, perhaps even scrapped altogether. Also, as pointed out by Nate, "except" should be "accept". Other than that, I like it, particularly the last three lines - "But your departure/I will not welcome/I wont accept your non-existence". It's so...perfect. Exactly the way people are, you know? Denial and etc. Very cool.

"I know you aren't here with me,
But I keep the past alive,
As though you still reside here--
You haven't gone anywhere. "

Not sure the point of this bit, really. What are you trying to say? How does it fit in with the rest of the poem?

"But why have you gone?
It must be me,
Or what I've done,
Your silent treatment is killing me
But now I am here all alone,
And I can't help but wonder,
Where have you gone?"

I think you could probably skip the last stanza altogether, and start this one as the next verse right after "I wont accept your non-existence". However, this stanza appears to be in two parts - a bit disjointed. I would change the "But" in "But now I am here all alone" to something else, perhaps even just "here all alone", cutting out the "and" of the next line so that it reads "Here all alone/I cant help but wonder/Where have you gone?" - that might make more sense.

Like I said, it has potential. A little bit of fixing up and it could be great. Its certainly got enough depth to really shine. Good luck with the revision - I cant wait to see how it turns out!
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:01 pm
Chevy says...

thanks for your comments--but i dont have any just really wicked (good wicked) poetry.

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus