Young Writers Society

The Final Dawn

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:58 pm
medievalwriter says...

The Final Dawn

The last wind blows in from the east,
And the singing of the birds has ceased.
The final drop of rain fell long, long ago,
And never again will there be a winter's soft snow.

The river has stopped and the bed is dry,
And centuries ago was heard the wolf's last cry.
The trees are now cold and grey and bare,
And the endless silence I can no longer bear.

So now I am alone to howl at the moon,
And maybe, perhaps, the final dawn will come soon.
Last edited by medievalwriter on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hwær cwom mearg? Hwær cwom mago?
Hwær cwom maþþumgyfa?
Hwær cwom symbla gesetu?
Hwær sindon seledreamas?

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:16 pm
LemonyIce says...

Hey there! I'm here to revieeeeeewwww!!
I don't know why, but for some reason this made me remember Twilight. Usually, it wouldn't be a good thing because I really, really hate Twilight, but your poem was waaaaaay too good. I Have some suggestions to make that might make the lines a little shorter. If you want them to be long, feel free to ignore it. Also, you don't need every line of your poem to begin with a capital letter. Only if the previous line ends with a full stop/period you need to begin the next one with a capital letter.

The last wind blows in from the east,
and the singing of the birds birdsong has ceased.
The final drop of rain fell long, long ago, The first 'long' seems unnecessary here.
And never again will there be a winter's soft snow.

The river has stopped and ;the bed is dry,
and centuries ago was heard the wolf's last cry.
The trees are now cold and grey and bare,
and the endless silence I can no longer bear.

So now I am alone to behold at the moon,
And maybe, perhaps, the final dawn will come soon.

Overall, really good poem! It had a really good feel to it, your rhyme scheme was amazing (I'm no good with rhymes), and the imagery was beautiful.
Keep Writing! :D
~HPR~
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:48 am
NightWalker says...

Hi there,
I think may be the wolf and the moon remembering you about the Twilight movies.Lol.By the way,this poem has a great theme to be represent here.And I like the way you wrote it as a great poem.Yeah,I agree with HRP said.Some of the words can be shortened.But this is not a serious problem of you because I was more worse than you(I had a grammatic problem,everytime I do poetry)!It really shame.(never mind)!

As a conclusion,
you're awesome buddy.So keep writing!Okay.

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:11 pm
dogs says...

AGH EW TWILIGHT! Only the movies i liked the first and third book though.... Anywhoo!!!! Hey medieval! Dogs here with your review today! This is a great piece. You really tackled this short poem really well which is impressive. You have a short poem which you conveyed your idea well and even with rhyming which can be very difficult to do so kudos to you! Listen to what HPR says about shortening the lines, that will really help the flow and the rhythm on this piece.

This piece is good but it is lacking something. A bigger impact on the reader. A bigger WOW factor to it. I believe that you can fix this easily by expanding your vocab use. This is a huge thing to having a great poem is having a large vocabulary. You use a lot of old, overused, everyday words and use them over and over again. I suggest you take some of these overused words and look them up in a thesaurus and choose something better from that list. I do this in my poems all the time and trust me... it really really helps!

Well all and all this is a great piece KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.
— Stephen King