I'm kissing the blade
that slits my throat.

My lover,
a soulless murderer
with blood on his sleeves...

I'm not Death Girl
I'm not afraid, just small.

I'm not who they think I am.
Last edited by BelarusBirdy on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes. I screamed aloud as it tore through them and now it's left me blind.
Florence and the Machine, Cosmic Love

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:28 am
creativityrules says...

Hello again, Belarus! Rose here!

First off, I like the feeling of this poem. Your character seems confused, lonely, and resentful, but I still get a feeling of strength from her. However, I feel like there a few flaws in here. I'll point them out for you. If you don't agree, feel free to keep this poem as is, because, at the end of the day, your opinion is the one that matters most.

Death girl is not a nice name
or haven't you heard?

I love the first line. I get a lot of emotion from it, and I understand that your character's hiding something, something that I want to know.

The second line is, frankly, creepy and I love it! I almost feel like one of the creepy little kids from horror movies would say it. It's innocent but malevolent. Moving on into the third line, I'm disappointed. You lost the sense of calm creepiness you captured in the first two lines. I would suggest either omitting the line from the poem or replacing it with something that would carry on with the feeling you established earlier.

I'm not afraid of you anymore.
You loved me

but like the earth
loves the trees
not because you
think I'm beautiful
(I know I'm not)
not because I'm me
(because I don't know who that is)

I'm not a huge fan of this part. It just seems flat compared to the awesomeness of the first two lines, and I'm not quite sure what it means. Maybe if you added some punctuation, I'd be able to understand it. Since I'm not quite sure where the sentences begin and end, I'm not sure how to punctuate this.

and now I'm forgotten
like the wind
hated
cold

I love this. I do disagree with you about the wind being hated, because I'm absolutely in love with the wind (it's been a huge inspiration for me in both art and writing), but I get your point.

but remember
I'm not Death Girl
I'm not afraid, just small.

Very nice ending! I'm not sure whether the 'but remember' is necessary; in fact, I might omit it from the poem. However, if you like it, let it stay. I won't object.

Great work! Always keep writing!

-Rose
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:09 am
dogs says...

Hey Birdy! Dogs here with your review! Firstly i would like to say i really enjoyed this poem! it has great feel to it and strong emotion, i like how you formatted the poem, typically i don't like that style of writing but you did it so well it stood out at me and it sounded really good. I really enjoy how you've layered your character, she is strong and assertive while at the same time, like rose said, lonely and confused. Those emotions can often combat each other but you managed to tie it all together in her perfectly so it doesn't sound forced or awkward.

My only minor suggestion i have is to increase your vocab variety a little bit. You a lot of simple words. I am guilty of this too and to fix that i take these simple words and i look them up in a Thesaurus and then choose a better, more enticing synonym for those simple words and it sounds sooooo much better. I think you really need to do that in this kind of style of poem, it would make it 10 times stronger!

Well i really enjoyed this piece keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:11 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

I don't know, this poem is nice but it is lacking a certain uniqueness that I'm usually picky about finding in poetry. My problem is (and I've said this in reviews a hundred times before) that I've heard this same sort of poetry a thousand times. I liked the deeper concept of this, but I feel a little bit like you should've just found a different direction to really make it your own. That being said, though, the imagery is decent and there are a couple of clever lines here. And really, this is a nice poem.
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan