z

Young Writers Society

Happiness

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

Spoiler! :
I know this is really simple....like, Shel Silverstein-meets-first grade simple. But I don't know, I was trying to write about happiness and I feel like writing immaturely about it is the only way to *really* talk about it. Feel free to tear this to pieces. XD

HAPPINESS

I must confess
I do not know
How to describe
This soft, sweet glow.

It’s like a matchbox
Struck in your chest,
Yet cool like rain
On heated breath.

As a writer,
I’m forced to tell
Of things that others
Can’t tell well.

Well if I could
I’d tell you, sincerely,
But you must find it
To know it clearly.

Happiness
Is like our clothes,
So tailor-made
That no one knows

Just where it is
Inside each soul,
The food it craves
Past our control.

And now I find
This fuzzy feeling
Comes out for you,
My heart now reeling.

I’m like a child,
Demeaned to this -
These simple words,
This simple bliss.

But that’s alright,
If I must confess,
So let’s enjoy
This happiness.
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 am
PurpleEurope says...

This is amazing! You expect us to.. "tear it apart", but I, personally believe that you've captured the feeling perfectly, because I mean, what is happiness? Happiness IS simplicity. It's beauty and peace and simplicity.
As a writer,
I’m forced to tell
Of things that others
Can’t tell well.

Well if I could
I’d tell you, sincerely,
But you must find it
To know it clearly.

I love those two stanzas, I mean, it's truly amazing! I love that you add being a writer, I feel it's something most people are afraid to do, they think its obvious, but to be a true writer, you have to admit it, right? Or is that what they say about insane people... Well, Either way! ^.^
PotterheadFranklinArthurMacKenzietheFourth<3

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 am
shiney1 says...

Hey shiney1 here :)

This poem is great! Thank you so much for being playful and bringing back the fun in creating and reading poetry for pleasure. I really like the style, and the flow was pretty good.

It’s like a matchbox
Struck in your chest,
Yet cool like rain
On heated breath.

I especially loved this part. Very creative here, and great imagery. The ending was not bad either, and ended on a light, playful note. But I think the rest of the poem after this stanza was kind of in the shadows and was not as strong.

But, this poem was really nice.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:48 am
creativityrules says...

Hey, Weaver! Rose here!

I absolutely adore this! It's so simple, just like happiness, but you've still managed to slip in touches of brilliance here and there. It was very easy to read, and I found myself smiling while I read it. Very well done!

I must confess
I do not know
How to describe
This soft, sweet glow.

This is a great opening. The only objection I have about it and, actually, your entire poem, is the way you capitalized the beginning of every line. I don't make a habit of doing that; I think that it brings the attention off of the writing by breaking the piece up. However, to each their own. If you like it, keep it that way.

As a writer,
I'm forced to tell
Of things that others
Can't tell well.

This is almost Dr. Seussian. It's very cute.

All in all, great piece! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

-Rose
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:15 pm
zaid says...

Is there anything left to say ? I believe your poem itself has said everything that it is worth :D
An amazing piece and the best part is that you have described it with the perfect qualities of happiness. Being simple, when joy comes from being simple, It's a joy like no other.
A great piece.
Zaid :D
Sincerely,
Zaid.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 pm
murtuza says...

Hey, Weaver!

I'm really liking this piece a lot. It's quite frank and casual. The opening and ending are sweet and bring about the entire context of the poem really neatly. And you are absolutely right. Thinking immaturely about happiness is the way that you're supposed to be thinking about it. xD

This poem has left me with a smile and I'm thankful for you writing this delightful piece. Keep the ink flowing now!

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:58 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Hey there!

This is a very sweet poem and I understand if you don’t want to alter this at all because it works how you want it to work. However, I don’t think you’re doing nearly enough with this. There’s much more to happiness, even the idea of not being able to speak about what happiness is the kind of thing I think we could be interested in. The idea that only children know happiness is silly, from a poetry perspective, because happiness, like all other emotions, changes as you experience it. Your poem could be an expression of happiness as it changes, as it grows, or as the narrator changes. This child-like approach just restricts the sophistication of your idea when there is so much you could be doing.

Your matchstick and chest lines are the best ones in this poem, and certainly the only memorable ones. If you could run along the same lines as this – even referencing the Matchstick Girl story, you could really open this up to the reader and make them truly feel what you’re trying to say. Personally, I don’t find the language nearly evocative enough to make me think about happiness beyond what you’re saying. You want to try to leave a lasting impression on your reader, that’s the true success of a poem, the impression, the imprint.

I’d begin by lengthening your lines and including a little more content, some more tangible ideas to really sink our teeth into. Give us some stronger imagery – along the strength of your matchstick (which really stuck in my head). It seems daunting but if you explain happiness how you feel happiness, you’ll find an audience for it, eventually.

Please tell me if you make any changes, I’d love to read them!

-Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:25 pm
AliyahPillage says...

I love this poem, my favorite line stanza was
It’s like a matchboxStruck in your chest, Yet cool like rain.On heated breath

it stood out to me.
Keep writing like this.
Wo Ai Ni (I Love You) Jessicarlie Love

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend