Young Writers Society

The Space Between Infinity- 3.5

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 am
Jas says...

~*~

Spoiler! :
It took me over a month to write this chapter and I believe it's the hardest one I'll have to write. It's 4:13am, I'm really sick and I haven't edited this at all. Umm, basically I edited all of the previous chapters a lot so if something doesn't seem like it makes much sense, don't worry about it too much but please do tell me if you review.

Rated for heavy topics.

Reviews and likes are greatly appreciated.

~*~

Dear Chloe,

My mother has always loved you.

Whenever we went shopping, my mother would always go to the girl's section first. Her face would light up as she carefully thumbed through the racks of clothing searching for the perfect dress or PowerPuff Girls shirt to buy for you. When she finally found a few dresses, a few shirts, a few skirts to pick from, she couldn't make the decision on which to get and bought them all.

After, we'd go over to the boy's section and my mother would randomly choose three or four shorts and shirts for me, dropping them into the shopping cart and moving on. Sometimes she'd buy something for Nina or Aiden but she never took as much joy from that as she did shopping for you.

As we got older and the majority of our class shuffled into middle school as awkward and zitty, you were clear-skinned and confident. My mother would talk about you like you were her kid, boasting on your politeness and beauty, talking about how much she saw herself in you. She would ask about you occasionally, usually after I'd come from your house.

She'd be at her desk, going through her paperwork, barely looking up at me as she asked about you. She'd pull her hair back and I'd see the tired lines and dark bags that made home under her eyes.

"So, how's Chloe? Her mother? Lucy?"

"They're fine."

I'd stand by the stairs, tapping my foot, my bag slung across my shoulders. I answered as vaguely as possible but my mother would continue.

"What'd you guys do today?"

"We made brownies. I left them in the kitchen."

She'd nod at this.

"How's Chloe doing in school? Are her grades alright?"

"She's Chloe, she's probably got a hundred average."

"Oh, that's good, that's good. She's got that math tournament coming up soon, right?"

"No, that's in five months."

"Oh well, I wouldn't worry about it anyway. She'll do great."

Then she'd look away, down at her papers or something and I'd know that I had been dismissed.

My mother and your mom were good friends and whenever whenever we were over each other's houses, my mother would spend half the time complimenting you or berating me.

I remember once, we were maybe eleven or twelve, playing video games in your room and I was going downstairs to get us more Oreos when I heard our mother's hushed voices. I bent down on the edge of the staircase and listened closely.

"Teresa, I can't even communicate with him, it's like we're on different planets. It's not that we argue much or that he's even a bad kid, he's just so quiet and independent. I feel like his landlord, not his mother."

"Have you ever thought that maybe it's not him? Maybe it's you?"

Your mom, her voice sympathetic and slow, was leaned close to my mother, who was tapping her foot and staring at a coffee cup on the glass table.

"No, I get it, I know, I wanted a girl. I always did. I had all of her clothing and dolls in the attic for years after I left New York. I gave them to you for Lucy and Chloe because it was like a slap in the face every time I opened the box." My mother's tapping increased and her voice got hoarse, like she was about to cry.

"I want- I just wish that...that Cassie was still here." Your mom's words were slow and careful and she was looking at my mother, sad and solemn.

My mother's face fell, her features pained and what came next was in a whisper so soft I had to strain myself to hear it.

"Am I a terrible person for not loving him nearly as much as I should? He looks so much like his father."

I blinked and swallowed hard, getting up from the stairs and going back to your room, ignoring your questions about the cookies and sitting on the floor by the window. You stopped mid-sentence about your craving for Oreos and cautiously sat next to me, silent.

I knew about Cassie then, remembered flashes of my life before here. I remembered a small, red-brick-against-grey-sky apartment somewhere in New York, remembered a man with crooked teeth and worker's hands, remembered a woman with a too thin body and determined eyes, remembered an older sister with no hair and a beautiful smile, remembered hospitals and a night where Cassie woke up with pale white skin and blood flowing out of her eyes and nose and mouth like a ghost, screaming and my mother frantic and a man, my father carrying her like she was a corpse, blood everywhere, tears coming out of his eyes. I remember the door slamming, the cold December air shut from the warm apartment, and I remember being a five years old, scared, crying, alone.

I remember being forgotten.

I didn't really notice my mother's indifference until after that night, sitting in your room. I became painfully aware of how quiet dinners were, how my mother never showed up to any of my Little League games but attended all of your tennis matches and had a front row seat to your math competition, which you won. She only had one bouquet the night of the school play, which she gave to you, Lady Macbeth. You gave me one of your roses, saying even the servants deserved praise.

Every year, when the wind blew secrets at my door and the cold air tasted like death, we left for New York. We would stay at a motel for exactly three days, spending Christmas at a cemetery, with the girl whose death broke my mother's heart. We'd never leave flowers, but bought dozens and dozens to send to cancer patients at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in the city. My mother wrote letters, dozens of them that she'd leave at Cassie's grave. I tried writing one once, but it felt strange, writing to a person I didn't know, someone who to me, barely existed at all. It's much easier to write to someone who I've known all my life, someone who I laughed with and loved and played tag with and kissed, someone I had known once upon a time.

When I was nine, eleven and fourteen, we saw my father, no longer the large, imposing figure he'd been in my memories, but a soft-spoken man who lost three people the night of Cassie's death. We never spoke at the actually grave site, but after, going out for coffee or to a diner or something, the conversation stilted and somber.
He'd give me an envelope filled with money those years, his hands still as strong and I knew he sent money to my mother the years he didn't come.

My mother cried a lot during those three days but they were over soon enough and we drove back home, the car ride silent other than the crooning of the oldies radio station we listened to.

We often took hitch-hikers wherever they needed to go, pulling over whenever she saw a thumbs-up. They were normally college aged kids, sometimes two or three, loud and grateful, or old men who sang along with the radio. I sometimes think she drove these people as far away as they needed to go only so she didn't have to think about herself, her two lives for a little longer.

I don't know how you found out about Cassie or if you did at all, but every year, you never asked where I was or what I did during Christmas, acknowledging my trips only with a long hug and the this soft, condoling look only a girl like you could pull off.

Tyler.

~*~

Spoiler! :
I know this is sort of all over the place, starting with Tyler's mother loving Chloe and ending with Cassie's annual funeral thing. I think it took me so long to write this chapter because I had to decide either to kill of Chloe's mother as a character or add in Cassie. I chose Cassie last night and spent my sick day in bed thinking about what to write. So, many things have been changed. Basically, Tyler doesn't hate his mother nearly as much as it seemed, Aiden and Nina are step-siblings, Cassie is not completely random but mentionings of her has been put into the previous chapters as of today and Tyler's mother isn't abusive and crazy anymore. Hope you enjoyed. :]
Last edited by Jas on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 am
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Hey Jas!

I'm so glad you're back to posting this again. I was only thinking about this story the other day. I'm sorry it took you this long to write this, and that you're sick -get well soon! -but I think you did a marvelous job. Some things were a little unclear, like why Tyler's dad walked away that night. Or did Tyler's mother leave with Tyler after Cassie died? I don't know whether you're going to clear that up in later chapters. If you are then fine, but if not, I think you should add something in about it here.

I know you said this isn't edited yet, but I only found a couple of mistakes.

and whenever whenever we were over each other's houses

Just a typo. Nix the second 'whenever'.

"No, I get it, I know, I wanted a girl. I always did. I had baby dresses and cute pink booties in the attic for years after I left New York. I gave them to you for Lucy because it was like a slap in the face every time I opened the box." My mother's tapping increased and her voice got hoarse, like she was about to cry.

I was a little confused after I read this. Tyler was born in New York, yes? Because he remembers Cassie, if only a little, but he remembers what went on the night she died. This bit of dialogue here though, gives off the impression that his mum was hoping Tyler would be a boy. Did she know Cassie was ill when she was expecting Tyler, and was then upset when he was born, as he wasn't a girl? Or was she hoping to have another baby after they moved out of New York? Only it doesn't quite make sense that she'd give the baby clothes to Lucy for Chloe. Unless the two families knew each other while Tyler's family lived in NYC. It's just that, as it is, Chloe would have to be younger than Tyler, five years younger, to have been able to wear the baby clothes that Lucy gave her mum. Sorry for rambling, but it's just something that doesn't quite make sense to me.

"I want- I just wish that..that Cassie was still here." Your mom's words were slow and careful and she was looking at my mother, sad and solemn.

This sounds like something Tyler's mum should say, rather than Chloe's. Unless you add in something about how Tyler could see that Lucy wished Cassie was still alive for the sake of his mother. And him.

until after that night, sitting in Chloe's room.

As the letter is to Chloe, 'Chloe's room' should be 'your room'.

We never spoke at the actually grave site,

Nix 'actually' or re-phrase the sentence to -

'We never actually spoke at the grave site,'

and the this soft,

Nix 'the'

This chapter was so sad, but I love how it gives another dimension to Tyler's life. He's no longer just the angry guy who lost the girl he loved and his best friend. He lost a sister too. And a dad. And his mother's never quite loved him the way she should. It gives him some back story and I feel like I can actually see him as a rounded character now that his life's been built up a bit, making him more realistic and human.

You should definitely carry on writing this. You are a great writer and I can't wait to read more :)

I hope this review helps!

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Hey Jas! I'm excited for this, I was actually walking to the tram today and thinking, hm, Space Between Infinity hasn't been updated in ages. So imagine my glee when I came home and discovered that it had been!

I. NITPICKS

My mother and your mom were good friends

Why the distinction between mother and mom here? Bit weird...
"I want- I just wish that..that Cassie was still here." Your mom's words were slow and careful and she was looking at my mother, sad and solemn.

I know you've edited Cassie in so it's not entirely random... but it's still random in context?

I didn't really notice my mother's indifference until after that night, sitting in Chloe's room.

But he just said he remembered being forgotten?
We never spoke at the actually grave site,

actual.

II. OVERALL

It's very prettily written, as all the other parts have been, and I applaud you on managing to develop Tyler so well. The only thing is, I'm worried that it's detracting from the plot itself. This story is about Chloe dying, not Cassie. And it's sad and I understand it's changed his family forever. But at the same time... I don't know. It's Chloe's story, isn't it? This feels like such a deviation. Now, maybe it'll all tie together and be great! But maybe it might not. And that's what would concern me. Don't douse yourself in too much tragedy. Tyler is already dealing with the awfulness of Chloe's death. I love your portrayal of his mother, it really is brilliant. But if he doesn't remember Cassie so much, make Cassie his mother's problem. Right now, if Tyler's thinking of her, surely it would be in the context of another person he's lost, on top of Chloe. That sounds awful and callous of me. But how can he write a letter to his dead girlfriend about somebody else he barely remembers? It just feels a little... out there. But maybe you can make it work!

Even still, I really enjoyed it.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:23 am
View Likes
Roach says...

Jas -

I was super, super excited to review this as it seemed like such a fun piece. Me - sadistic? Of course not! :D However, before I start off I just wanted to say that your title is very nice and I am at an extreme level of jealousy; my titles always turn out to be a big load of horse rubbish, but alas . . .

You said you wanted a review that was more focused on imagery and the overall story and not conflicts/characters, so I shan't waste any time pointing out tiny little nitpicks like misspellings. Those are easy enough to fix on your own and either way, the previous two reviewers have done a superb job with their reviews, especially in pointing those pesky little errors out. Now: let's get to the bulk. The first thing I want to do is go ahead and commend you on your writing. It's really quite pretty! Your word choice and such - very well done. I appreciated reading such a well-executed and obviously thought-out story; it's quite the contrast to some I have read.

I. IMAGERY

Jas wrote:As we got older and the majority of our class shuffled into middle school as awkward and zitty, you were clear-skinned and confident.

This description bothers me quite a good deal. Perhaps it is because that puberty, bless it, is anything except picky -- I understand what you were trying to convey in saying she was clear-skinned, however it seems almost misleading to us, as readers, considering that puberty strikes one and all. Truly! Even the super-pretty gals at my school game to school with a zit or two on Tuesday mornings.

Jas wrote:She would ask about you occasionally, usually after I'd come from your house.

This too seemed a tad off to me. You portray the mother as quite eccentric and the like and if the mother was so interested/obsessed with Chloe, I doubt it would be a thing where she would just "occasionally" ask her son about her. It sort of ruins the picture I had painted in my head.

Jas wrote:I blinked and swallowed hard, getting up from the stairs and going back to your room, ignoring your questions about the cookies and sitting on the floor by the window.. You stopped mid-sentence about your craving for Oreos and became circumspect, cautiously sitting next to me, silent.

Here, I think, would be a perfect time to talk about what the window was like - was the light it was casting into the room dark, were the blinds pulled, etcetera. It would be a great way to further amplify the emotion you have already got revving in this piece. Also, the word circumspect feels out of place. Find a new one.

Jas wrote:I knew about Cassie then, remembered in flashes my life before here. I remembered a small, red-brick-against-grey-sky apartment somewhere in New York, remembered a man with crooked teeth and worker's hands, remembered a woman with a too thin body and determined eyes, remembered an older sister with no hair and a beautiful smile, remembered hospitals and a night where Cassie woke up with pale white skin and blood flowing out of her eyes and nose and mouth like a ghost, screaming and my mother frantic and a man, my father carrying her like she was a corpse, blood everywhere, tears coming out of his eyes. I remember the door slamming, the cold December air shut from the warm apartment, and I remember being a five years old, scared, crying, alone.

Now here we are: the bulk of imagery in this chapter. The description of the apartment, her father and her mother are all wonderful. The descriptions of those three made it all seem so, so real and then you lost it a bit in the next tidbits. Cassie, I believe, if you are going to describe her so much in this letter (it's a focal point), should be described a bit more. Instead of just saying she had no hair and a beautiful smile, have Tyler recall a memory of harsh white light hitting his sister's bald, pore-baring head. Have him think of her contagious smile and add in details, like: "And when I remember her smile, I smile, if not for the memory, but because I remember the chip on her left upper tooth that bothered her so." I'm not quite sure; something of that sort.

Also, the fact that blood was coming out of her eyes was gross. I always thought patients of the cancer type like the one you described had it flowing out of only their noses and mouths; however, I may be wrong. I would definitely triple-check on that fact, however.

II. OVERALL

Yikes. You'll have to forgive me, as it is nearing midnight where I am at and I haven't slept in days, so if this rambles and/or is incoherent, I am sincerely sorry for that. Now, Stella mentioned this in her review and I want to stress on it because it is a very important point. This series is about his dead girlfriend and Cassie's got little to nothing to do with that. I understand it was a traumatic time in his life that shaped everything after that, even him, however I feel like dedicating a whole chapter to her, to Cassie, seems a bit on the extensive side when the focus should be Chloe and Tyler.

I know you said you didn't want me to focus on characters, but I just wanted to applaud you with Tyler. He's a great main character and you're doing a great job developing him. It's almost to the point where he' s too developed so soon, though, as if: what else is there to learn? I feel like I met him on an online dating site and I know too much, too soon, if you catch my gist. But I do adore him. Another thing would be your imagery: let's look at that as an overall thing. You're doing a great job with the balance of description and your descriptions are very mature - I hope I used that in the right context. What I mean is, you have a very unique way of describing things and I quite like it. Tyler seems very adoring towards Chloe, not cold at all because of the fact she had his mother's attention, which is great.

I wish I could have been of more help, but this is just so very good I am not sure what to say! That, and it's eleven thirty at night and I've yet to had my nightly trip to the coffee machine.

- roach

EDIT: I just wanted to add in that I very much like your writing style. It's unique and something new. Very fresh.
"There was John and Jane and Betsy
eating bugs and drinking Pepsi,
dancing jigs up on the fiddle,
up the sides and down the middle."
- Erland & The Carnival

Got YWS?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:47 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Hey Jas! Here to review as requested! Sorry for the bit of a delay, but I'm here now. :)

I really enjoyed this chapter. It was so sad, and I adore the dimensions added to Tyler's personality here. It makes him really sympathetic, and also works to add a bit more to his relationship with Chloe, by showing how she never asked about it, but somehow knew (like the best of friends do).

"How's Chloe doing in school? Are her grades alright?"

"She's Chloe, she's probably got a hundred average."

"Oh, that's good, that's good. She's got that math tournament coming up soon, right?"

"No, that's in five months."

I know this is a flashback (well, a recount in the form of a letter), but I would like to see more action/description around this dialogue. What's their body language like? How do they move in relation to each other/their setting while they're talking to each other? Body language is a subtle way to add another dimension to the emotions between these two people and how they interact with each other, which could be really effective in this situation.

You stopped mid-sentence about your craving for Oreos and became circumspect, cautiously sitting next to me, silent.

The language in this sentence (particularly 'circumspect') seems a little odd and out of character for a young guy. I tend to be proud of my own language skills/vocabulary but even so I would never use this word in a sentence, or really know how to use it in a sentence. Basically, maybe try to find a work that's more widely used/understood to replace this. ;)

Other than that, I really enjoyed this chapter! Also, I'm going to have to disagree with Stella and Roach on the significance of this chapter in relation to the rest of the story. While it's not directly about Chloe and her death, I don't think that's really what this story is about. Of course it's centering around her death, that's what spurs on the action of the story. But I think this is a story more about the people involved in her life are handling her death, and Chloe has the unique ability to watch much of this unfold. This letter is about Tyler and how he came to rely on Chloe (her unspoken understanding for his situation and the love that comes with that understanding) and how he no longer has that person to rely on and feels alone again. Basically, I think this chapter fits perfectly. :)

Great job! Keep writing!

-Lauren-
Got YWS?

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:21 pm
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Hey, Jas.

God, I'm so sorry I'm late. I had been away from Net for quite some days and even after seeing your message, I was unable to review.

Your writing is superb, haven't I already said? I don't know what to say but every time I read something by you, I feel like closing everything and writing a superb story. But when I'm not able to, I can't tell how that frustrates me. But anyways, I am here to review and I must help you out.

First of all, I just feel that the story is a bit slow. I mean, as I have said before, too, that I love reading it but I just feel that it's going a bit slow in sense that you're posting it. Because of that, there's a high probability that people would not like to read stories which are not moving fast. You need to push us forward, and try strike a balance between flashbacks. Because if you really see all of your parts posted are mainly flashbacks. I don't want to say that it's not effective, it really is, but I'd personally like to see the plot moving ahead. You can have them in the real draft, but you could maybe try to shorten things up in here. I don't know, I'd like something more.

Alright, so after the bitter part, I'd like to tell you one thing; your flashbacks are really touching and when I want to read a story, I want it to be like yours. So that ways you're doing an excellent job.

About adding in Cassie, I like it. She's a shadow, her character wouldn't be well defined mostly because the narrator didn't really get to know her. So that ways I like this mysterious part about her, but otherwise, at this point I'm pretty clueless how she's going to be useful to the story. Maybe Tyler's mother aloofness, which was partly because of Cassie has something to do with the present Tyler. But otherwise, since you mentioned Cassie being a recent addition, I don't think she has a really major importance. So, I'd like to advise you to think about it and if she's not really needed, don't use her. The reason I'm saying this is maybe because somewhere I feel that you have so many characters, so many incidences to fill us in about that you are missing out on the plot.

That's just what I think, and please do whatever you like since I know you're smart and talented. :D

Keep Writing,
Mia
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 am
Blues says...

Hi Jas!

Wow!

This was a really good chapter! I'm glad you added Cassie. It added a new thing to the chapter. You did the emotion here really well, and I love how in this chapter, it's something that Chloe would've never known, so it doesn't feel at all like it's there to tell us the info. I love how you showed the contrast in this, well done!

EBI

I agree too much, I think XD But Mia is right, there is definitely a bit too many flashbacks, and we'd like to move on a bit
I think perhaps, that's why I really enjoyed the last chapter where Chloe goes and takes the photos etc. At the moment, the letters sometimes feel a bit like they're there just to let the reader know some stuff. I think letters from Tyler about the aftermath of her death, how weird it was to know that Chloe's dead would help - letters in the present. I do think you could use the idea of the letters (a great one) to show Tyler's side of stuff without it being about Chloe even if it is TO Chloe.

Overall
I felt this was incredibly sad. D'you know that feeling that you could cry about something, but you have try really hard to? That's how I felt. I wasn't crying, but it was just that feeling that came to me. My gosh, well done!

It was great. I'm surprised you struggled, it doesn't show! :)

Keep Writing,

Mac

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta