z

Young Writers Society



Two : Twenty-two

by WritingWolf


Why can no one see
that in this broken world
there still is a reason
for everything.

A spider builds a web
to catch it's prey.

A monkey lives in a tree
to keep it safe from harm.

A whale can sing with sonar.
So that in the darkest depths,
it isn't lost.

A man loves a woman
because in the grand scheme of things
our race would fall apart
if we didn't.

She is meant for him.
Genesis two: twenty two says
"And the rib, which the Lord God
had taken from man,
made he woman,
and brought her unto man."

A woman can do great things.
But in this broken world,
one of her reasons to be
will always be
to find a man to love.

She can make it
without him.
But there is an overwhelming love
which every woman carries.
And the only one who can take
that burden from her
is the man
she was made from.

People say "love is love,
no matter who you love"
Then come the fights,
the heartache,
the divorce.

And indeed, love is love
no matter who you love.
But do they really know
what love is?
How can you define
something with itself?

When a man claims
to love another man
there isn't much wrong with that.
Just one small thing.

Somewhere out there
is a woman who would've
fallen in love with him.
And now she has no reason.
Because a false idea
of what love really is
has stolen him away.

A man can love a man.
But before he commits,
he should stop and think
about that woman who is alone
or with the wrong man.
All because the right man
hasn't stopped to think
"What is love?
And how do I know,
that I've found it?"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Writingwolf,


I like where you are feeling strongly about a subject and it takes a certain kind of bravery to speak one's opinion about such controversial issues, so in that sense I applaud what you are doing, you've got your idea for this, that I don't particularly agree with or find convincing, but that's not of a matter. I'm more interested in the poetry in this, as in, I want to see more of the poetry.

Where this poem lacks is in technique and execution and that's what makes this poem rather uninteresting. Another person out of the thousands writing about a bible verse and gay marriage, what should make your poem stand out from these? I would have said the same had this poem been about love and romance, there are millions of those poems, how should yours stand out?

I think the first thing every writer wants to ask themselves is what and who is the poem being written for. Because if somebody is simply writing a poem to express an opinion or vent, the effect on the reader is going to be the same as if you were to just write a simple blog post about it. It's not very interesting in terms of poetry, which is about language and about making art with words, it's also about connecting with your readers. So where this particular poem lacks in technique and the use of poetical devices is where it is coming across more like an uninspired blog post for me.

The Hook: Political poems need a strong hook, it needs to be loud and it needs to be surprising - perhaps use something familiar in a new or innovating way. The opening in this poem is five stanzas long and reads like a preamble of facts, it doesn't say anything new about these facts. A spider building a web is nothing new. So if I say for example:

The sky is blue.

That's a fact, it reads like a wikipedia entry, and it's not surprising or unusual at all which makes it uninteresting.

The sky performs his blue jazz hymn
we see in his eyes the bell of his sax thundering

That's a poem. It uses metaphors and poetic devices to breathe life and newness into something old and factual. I would strongly suggest implementing more imagery/metaphor/poetic devices in this, and we have a lot of resources on this site to help with that!

I hope this helps, let me know if you wish to chat this one out more.

~ as always, Audy




User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 pm
View Likes
KnightTeen wrote a review...



I really like how you based this on a bible verse. (Christian here, very weird christian, but christian nonetheless)

And I like how the work kind of stays away from being somewhat accusatory (as in, the bible says it's wrong so don't do it) and leans a bit more on speculation (the bible says don't do it so what's happening while they do).

I guess what I am trying to say is that you keep personal opinion out of it and simply state the barest facts. And I am sure a lot of users will appreciate that.

I loved the flow of this work, it was really smooth and read very well.
You broke up the stanzas very well too.

I don't know what I was expecting from reading the title, but it sure wasn't this. I think that you did a really good job, Wolf.

~Teen~




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:19 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello! :)

First off, a few minor nitpicks:

Why can no one see
that in this broken world
there still is a reason
for everything.


This would make more sense if you replace "no one" with "anyone" and take out the "still". Also, end that verse with a question mark, since it's asking a question.

A spider builds a web
to catch it's prey.


That should be its, not it's.


Okay, so since this isn't the time nor place to argue with you about whether gay marriage is okay or not, I'm going to talk about the poem itself and not its subject. I will say, however, that I adore you pointing out a reasonable thing to think about when debating gay rights. I also love that you do so without interfering with your own judgment or opinion on it. You simply take a Bible verse and explain it without getting too personal, so I must applaud you on that.

Moving on, I really liked the format of this poem. Each stanza stayed on topic, focused on the Bible verse and explained/expanded on it. The flow was smooth and each transition into the next stanza was done nicely. I overall found this to be a good poem, and it was something I enjoyed more than I thought I would, especially once the Bible verse came into this. "Oh no, not religious stuff -.-" were my thoughts but then you surprised me, so I liked that.

Overall, this was a nicely written poem and I liked it very much! :) Thanks for sharing.





constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather