Broken Glass

by Crimsona

I do not like the third stanza of this, but for some reason I was desperate to post this. I don't know why - I think I need to go outside and get some sunshine. xP

You were broken glass.

You shimmered and sparkled so beautifully

that I tied to hold you in my hands.

But you cut my palms and blood ran down my arms.

And even when my face was distorted with pain

I still thought the crimson dripping to the floor was beautiful.

.

My love for you was a champagne flute,

transparent, full of bubbles and vigour.

I made your tongue fizz and your mind buzz.

You lapped me up, drank the glass dry,

tossed it on to the ground. You never picked up

the shards of crystal on the kitchen floor.

.

I am broken glass.

Shattered and sharp, I make you flinch.

I pierce all those who touch me and

wedge myself into your palms.

You fight to get me out of your skin

and the black blood stains my shimmer.

Deanie wrote a review...

Hello Crimsona!

I have to say, this is a great poem. I really loved some of the imagery you created here, and how you used the wine glass symbolism to demonstrate your message. It was just so wonderfully written! There isn't much to go through here at all, because this was a very good poem. I am going to give you some advice on a whole here though.

I know this poem is written as if someone is being talked to, meaning she is writing it to him, or something. But the only thing I don't like so much is the use of 'you' in the poem. Now some people might like this, but when you see that same word appear a lot you want to change it up a bit or leave it out without ruining the initial poem and imagery you have. I have tweaked one of your verses as an example. But this is merely stylistic choice because if you do want to stress the 'you' then you can leave it.

You were broken glass. (I like the you here because it points out the subject straight away.)
Shimmering and sparkling; a entrancing beauty
that I tried to hold you in my hands. (you put tied here instead of tried... needs correcting)
But it [because we're referring to the beauty which is referring to the you] cut my palms and blood ran down my arms.

In the last line there I felt the 'dripping to the floor' was awkward, so I would've put it as it's own stand off line after the before the last in the stanza. And in the last line maybe don't use the word beautiful again, but a synonym of some sort to add variation.

Other than that, a lovely poem as always Crimsona. Keep it up! :D

Deanie x

Crimsona says...

Hey Deanie, thank you for taking the time to review! Your reviews always point out stuff that I totally miss - so thank you! Totally didn't realise the typo, so thank you! And I will have a tweak to incorporate the ideas you suggested when I've finished my exams, so watch this space! Thanks again x

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 am
jacelevasco wrote a review...

Hi Crimsona. :) Nice work.

Great use of imagery. I like how I visualize images of blood, skin, and glass as I read this poem. As ashams123 said, you did a nice job of putting beautiful-sounding words together. Here's a thumbs up. (y)

I understand this is a free verse, but I think that this poem would be better with more balance and harmony; especially in the second and third verses. :)

It's your poem, though, and we all have our different styles of writing. I'm not a detail-oriented guy, so I won't delve into the details. Keep writing. :) I would like to read more from you. :)

Crimsona says...

Hi there, thanks for your review! I'll take your advice on board and maybe teak it a little. :)

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 am
ashams123 wrote a review...

I loved how you worded this. I write things like this all the time! But I feel like it's just words put together in a beautiful way...there is no real substance...if that makes sense? I didn't really understand where you were going, or what the real end result was. Maybe go back and incorporate some kind of storyline? Beautiful poem! Keep it up!

Crimsona says...

Thank you for the review. Those are fair points, I may go back and edit this at some point.

Crimsona says...

chaninalexis14 wrote a review...

I understand this completely and totally, I understand what it's like to have your heart broken, and I must say, this is very... interesting.

So somebody cut you open like broken glass? I understand the pain, but there are no real details in this.

Love is a pain sometimes, and I get that, but is it really this harsh??

Sorry for being a real bitch

~Sparkles

Crimsona says...

Thank you for your review.
Well this poem wasn't intentionally meant to be about heartbreak (I assume you mean in the romantic sense). It was written about a friendship that turned sour and I do indeed think it was that harsh. You're not a real bitch, I guess this is quite personal - but I do think that emotional pain can be even more 'harsh' that physical pain. Maybe that's just me though - love and pain are personal.

Ciblio wrote a review...

I like this. I really like this, actually. but some of the errors are bugging me.
In the first stanza, you had: "But you cut my palms and blood ran down my arms. and even when my face was distorted with pain"
You have a period at the end of the first sentence, so you might want to change the 'a' in 'and' to a capital.
It started out beautifully, and flowed quite well, but some of your choices in the second and third stanzas kind of broke it off. It started getting jumbled up, and I got lost, not really understanding what was going on.
If you were to just clean it up a bit, and change some of the words to fit better, then I think you'll be good.
Great piece, keep writing!

Crimsona says...

I fixed the 'a' problem. Thank you for your review!

Writing is my soul made tangible on paper.
— bluewaterlily