E - Everyone Language Mature Content

Project: Dead Anna (Chapter One)

by joshuapaul

PART ONE – ANNA CLAY

Chapter One

Anna Clay had invited me over for a cup of tea, a piece of toast and also to tell me that she had been planning to kill herself. I guess that’s the first thing you should know about her; she has a habit of hurling spanners into the cogs of my otherwise functioning existence. Though admittedly, it’s worth it, for the most part anyway.

“Look, don’t make a big deal,” she said, sitting at the other end of the old wooden dining table table.

“A big deal?” I said. “Are you joking right now, like seriously joking?”

I saw a look pass over her face like she wanted to say something but couldn’t. It took some sort of heroic self-control to keep myself from leaping over the table and shaking her.

“I want to do it properly and that’s the only reason I told you. Also because I know you can keep a secret, right?” The piece of toast between her finger and thumb stopped moving toward her open mouth. She looked up. “Why are you wearing that stupid look?”

That was a special skill of hers, she could raise a sledgehammer up the underside of your sternum and as soon any sign of discomfort surfaced she would make you feel like an idiot, like killing yourself was something chatted about over afternoon toast. Anna remained pretty much impassive as I cycled through what my father would probably call the four stage grief cycle.

Denial

“Anna, you know you shouldn’t joke like that. I mean if I didn’t know what you are like I would probably take that the wrong way.”

“It’s not a joke, Paul. Even I’m not that twisted,” she said.

Negotiation

“So is it serious, like you are seriously thinking about it? Have you spoken to your Mum? Of course, you’re not going to do it. I know you’re not. But why are you feeling this way?”

“No, I have not and I have felt like this for a while now,” she said, she licked her lips to bite her toast then stopped as I began to speak.

Acceptance

“Let’s go talk to someone about it, surely there’s something we can do to make it better. Does your doctor know? If this turns out to be a big joke I’m going to have to hand in my bff pendent and leave. I’m serious.”

“How kind,” she said, tilting her head evoking Dr. Phil for the sole purpose of mockery. “Really kind.”

Then came Anger.

"It's just shit, Anna. Don’t say that. It’s a shitty thing to say."

"It's really not, in fact it’s the opposite of shit. "

“Has this got anything to do with me?”

She laughed unnaturally. “Wow,” she said.

“I don’t know,” I said. “It just doesn’t make sense. I really don’t know how to take it.”

I watched her, she finally chomped into her toast. Chewed with a thoughtful expression then swallowed.

“Please just don’t do anything, okay” I said. The problem was that she’s not the attention seeking type, if I thought she was it might have been different. I cast about the room for a hint, for a clue like on video games when the key is just sitting out in the open nice and big on a table, there was no key or any hints. There was boxes stacked haphazardly in the corner and overflowing with junk. There were faded photographs on the wall from a time when people still printed photos. There were plants that didn’t seem to get enough water. But no clue.

“Why?”

“That’s a dumb question, Paul. I’m unwell and I want to die on my terms.”

This was as close as we had ever come to an actual argument. Well that’s not entirely true, but it’s not as though we had anything to argue about before.

“You’re just in a funk,” I said.

She looked down, defeated. There was a resignation in that gesture, a fatigue in the brittle way she held her hands and in the way she let her breath slowly drain from her lips.

“Okay,” I said. “I don’t understand and I’m going to do everything I can to talk you out of it but I know now and that’s what you wanted, right?” I cleared my throat quietly and looked away. “When do you plan on doing it?”

“Oh not yet,” she said.

I stood up and horsed my way around the dining room table, between the chairs and the stacked junk of Anna’s dining room. I rubbed her back with a flat palm and looked down.

“This is nice Paul, but let’s not make it awkward.” That special skill of hers again.

“Don’t do anything stupid, AC.”

“It’s probably the most logical decision I have ever made, but I know what you mean, PD.” She smiled and pushed me away. “So back to Olivia, how are things going?”

See the first thing you learned about Anna Clay, spanner meet works. She routinely made my girlfriend pissed at me, which by the way is no easy feat. It’s really not good form to leave someone alone after they have expressed a desire to end their life, but it is also not good form to leave your girlfriend waiting at the dentist whilst you visit another girl. So in the spirit of compromise, I stayed with Anna a little longer, picking cat hair from my sweater and catching her up on what she had missed from school. On the recycled hard wood table my phone shuffled, heralding another sullen missed call from my girlfriend. When the time came I called back.

“Hey, sorry I missed your calls, I’ve just been busy.”

“I have been waiting for half an hour,” Olivia said. “It’s just rude. If I knew you were going to take this long I would have driven myself.”

“I’m sorry Olivia, I just had to stop off on the way.”

"Well I'm across the road at the shopping centre now."

Sorry, got to run I mouthed to Anna.

"Okay, okay, I will be there in five."

Anna shot herself in the temple with her finger, her mouth falling agape and her eyes rolling. Then as if realising the symbol of her gesture, her neck tightened and her shoulders raised. Oops, she mouthed back.

“I’ll be there in five, just sit tight okay?”

“I’m not happy, Paul.”

This is a breezy, beautiful, and cleanly written opening to what I hope will be a gorgeous, well-written novel full of characters and imperfect personalities and realistic interactions.

Your dialogue works well. I love how you broke up the first reveal with the "steps" of grief, and that kept us moving through the realization, so we didn't get bogged down in the breakdown that would probably normally happen. I love how you let us know Anna's personality so clearly in all her dialogue and the way that Paul thinks before he responds.

I was also completely shocked by the paragraph where Anna makes the shooting gesture at her own head, which in any other circumstance would be pretty normal, but here it seems like both Anna and the reader realize at the same time "haha, holy crap, that's not cool in this situation".

The one place where I think you could have used more grace would be the introduction of the girlfriend. It goes from "Anna makes my girlfriend mad at me", but doesn't explain that, to trying to juggle Anna and the girlfriend, to a very shallow view of the girlfriend. I think you can do better than that. You give Anna so much personality in such a small space that you can give the girlfriend (Emma? -checks name- Olivia!) at least enough personality that we feel like she's a real person, not just a plot device to add another character, and enough that we actually remember her name. I know you have time to do that in later chapters, but I think we need it from this early point, so we feel completely the triangle dynamic between our first solid characters. Right now she's just a girl who goes to the dentist and needs a ride. Paul needs to think more about her habits the way he thinks, more than once, about Anna has a habit of making you feel.

I hope these thoughts are helpful~ I'm on to the next part!
PM me or reply to this review if you have any questions/comments about my review.
Good luck and keep writing!

megsug wrote a review...

Hey~
I'm so sorry for the wait. I've skimmed through the reviews, but I may have missed something. I'm sorry if I repeat.

Wow. I really hope you post another chapter soon. This is really interesting.

Just a few things.

As other people have stated, you've got a lot of dialogue and not a lot of other things. It leaves the chapter with a kind of emptiness. What I would love is some description thrown in every now and then. I'd like to know what the characters look like. Since Anna has stated such a bizarre wish, I want to know what she's surrounded by everyday. That could give your readers some great insight into why she's feeling the way she is.

“I don’t know,” I said. “It just doesn’t make sense. I really don’t know how to take it.” I watched her, she finally chomped into her toast. Chewed with a thoughtful expression then swallowed. “Please just don’t do anything, okay” I said.

Alright. I don't think this was the only time this happened, but this is the paragraph that really stuck out to me.
You have Paul's dialogue, but in between his dialogue you have Anna's actions. The switch from Paul to Anna to Paul is a little disconcerting, and it's a tad bit hard to realize who's speaking where.
I'd suggest breaking the paragraphs a little more. Where Paul's dialogue (and perhaps some action/reaction/thoughts of his) is in one paragraph and Anna's actions are in another.

This kind of story needs some crazy developed characters, and I'm a little concerned with the lack of thoughts and deeper examination of characters, especially Paul's since he is the narrator. How well the reader is able to connect and understand every facet of Paul will determine how successful your novel is, I think. However, this is only the first chapter, so I'll reserve judgement.

I love how you worked the grieving process into your narration. That was really powerful for me. This concept is really intriguing. Please leave me a link to your next chapter when you put it up.

If you have any questions or comments let me know.
Keep writing,
Megs~

joshuapaul says...

Thanks for your kind words, I will be considerate of your advice when it comes time to edit. Also, more will be coming soon.

liveandbreathewords wrote a review...

At first I was a bit skeptical and wasn't sure if I was going to read this, because normally 'suicide' and 'humor' do not do well together.

I am so glad that I read this.

I really like how you portrayed both characters, and how you went through Paul's stages. I also appreciated that the girl, Anna, wasn't going to kill herself because of bullying or whatever other problems (although I do know that those things are serious). It think it added to the humor that Anna wanted "to die on her own terms."

My favorite part, I do have to say, was the ending. Pretending to shoot herself, without even realizing it was a bad time. Also, nice touch with the sullen girlfriend. :)

I really liked this and I am looking forward to reading more of your work!

Morrigan wrote a review...

I was very worried about the content of this when I saw the title and description. "Project: Dead Anna" and "A novel I wrote about suicide" coupled with the genre of humor is usually not well executed. And even if it is, it tends to walk the line between morally wrong and uncomfortably funny.

I think you might need to rethink your title. It doesn't really do the story justice.

I really like your writing style, but it is very fast paced, and I want more. There isn't enough information about the characters to warrant emotions yet, just the strangeness of discussing suicide calmly over tea. I suggest you add more in about the characters personalities and such.

You have a few grammar issues, so make sure you go over this with a fine-toothed pen when you edit this.

The girlfriend felt very two dimensional. I understand that she's fed up with him, but I'm worried that she's going to turn into one of those "domineering housewife" figures seen so often in fiction. That bridge has been crossed, and I think you should make sure she becomes a more rounded character as the story progresses.

Make sure you tag more of your dialogue. I was quite lost in the middle, and at the end. "I'm not happy, Paul" might have been intentionally left untagged, but I suggest you tag it, as it's quite important that we know which one of them said that. If Anna breaks into the phone conversation and says it, it's more indicative that she needs his attention-- If it's his GF it's important because it means that really, everyone around him is unhappy.

I'm interested in seeing how the rest of this turns out. Good job. I hope that this proves useful to you! Happy writing!

Audy wrote a review...

Joshua! Looong time!

she has a habit of hurling spanners into the cogs of my otherwise functioning existence.

XD Can I just point out that I love that word, spanners.

So, there's a sort of briskness to this that I feel can be interesting stylistically, I like that, I want that, but I'm still left wanting for some development and I think by fleshing this story out a bit more it can fix a bit of the pacing issues as well, I found the pacing just a bit frantic and I keep thinking, maaan he's going through those five stages in a minute's time, isn't he?

So that bit where Anna is first talking and twirling that bit of toast and how we have a mix of dialogue and events/narration - that is fine. It's still brisk, it still maintains this style, and there's a sort of balance. As I read on, there's less and less of this and more and more of just untagged dialogue. There's not enough buildup to have the untagged dialogue yet, I think. Untagged dialogue is used more for suspense and for gravity, but here it doesn't have any of that so what ends up happening is that I question the believability of the events and I also don't really feel too much, by the time we get to acceptance, I'm still thinking about whether the intentions of this piece is better inclined as a satiric jab. I mean, I get that the voice/narrator lends itself to that and I'm fine with that.

To vary it up, maybe you can add a bit more introspection as well, maybe even fill us in as to who Anna is and why she matters in the MC's life, because if she's going to die, we've got to be aware of the stakes and the significance, or even aware if it turns out to be of no significance.

I can say though that this was entertaining, and that the MC's voice really intrigues me and makes me want to read on. I also found it was kind of interesting how there's a sort of parallel between how he deals with Olivia and how he deals with Anna.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want to chat this one up!

~ as always, Audy

joshuapaul says...

Thanks, Audy. Very helpful advice and you definitely provide a little perspective. I have stripped this back a bit, so maybe I have taken too much away. Maybe it needs that fat to hold it together.

Will keep this in mind in the next round of edits.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 am
jacelevasco says...

Interesting :) keep 'em coming!

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical