z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence Mature Content

Love in decaying hearts: part six

by vampricone6783


*Part six of my series “Love in decaying hearts”. The rest of the series is underneath my folder “Love in decaying hearts”. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall.*



Melanie woke up in a white room, a Renaissance painting of cherubs and a blue sky on the ceiling above her. There were windows that reached from the sky to the ground, letting in bright, heavenly sunlight. Light that was covered by the trees in the forest she and Azrail were in.

With how wide the room was, it appeared to be a dining room from the olden days, when more families used to be wealthy.

A woman with falling, burnt skin walked into the room, black eye sockets seeming to hold deep sorrow. Her pink dress was breaking apart, raggedy and rotten.

“You may have heard of me, young one. I’m Lenore Nightshade, the founder of Apple Blossom Lane. I’ve loved apple blossoms for as long as I’ve lived.”

Lenore took a step closer to Melanie.

“I’ve also loved Edalyn. Edalyn, my little witch, my light, my hope.”

Her scratchy voice was tinted with memories of the past she wished to forget. Melanie could hear it in her voice, could hear the deep pain inside.

“My husband had us both killed. She was only a child. She screamed as she burned, she had such fear in her eyes…”

Lenore put a decaying hand on Melanie’s shoulder, gripping onto it firmly.

“Protect yourself and those you love, little witch. I can sense the power in you. Don’t lose that. This world is a cruel, evil place. Be careful out there.”

Before Melanie could reply, the world around her faded and swirled away, pulling her far off.

………………………………………………….

“Melanie?! Melanie! You’re here! I thought that you would be gone forever and…”

Azrail’s red, demonic eyes were filled with childlike joy and innocence. He hugged Melanie tightly, his cold, vampiric embrace felt strangely warm and inviting.

“No, no. I’m here. I’m okay. Lenore wanted to talk to me, that was all. She wanted me to be safe, just like you.” Melanie said softly.

“That was all? Nobody tried to kill you? No monsters tried to eat you?” Azrail asked.

She placed a hand on his cheek.

“That was all. I’m okay.”

His eyes hardened with a purpose. He held Melanie as one would hold their true desire and declared:

“Then let’s go.”

With that, he flew her up into the sky.

………………………………………………….

After a few minutes of flying, Azrail landed in a small nothing town, with the average population being only a smattering of people who didn’t care for the world around them.

Melanie tried telling Azrail that he didn’t have to carry her, that she had wings of her own to fly with, but he insisted that it was best. So, Melanie spoke of the matter no more.

“This is where Cassidy is?” Melanie asked.

“It’s where she and a few of my ghosts are. All we have to do is free the ghosts and find Cassidy. It’s that simple.” Azrail said.

How could he say that, after all they’ve been through? Perhaps it was to make himself feel better. If that was the case, she understood.

A car abruptly hit the brakes, the screeching noise being the only sound they heard in the town.

“Melanie?!” A woman’s voice called out.

Both whipped their heads towards the voice.

Melanie’s heart sank when she saw who it was.

With dark rimmed eyes and wrinkles of stress, it was Mom. Dad had come out of the car too, along with her little sister, Angie, whose eyes were red. Was it from lack of sleep or the loss of her dog? Melanie did not know. She hadn’t seen her family in days.

“Oh Melanie, I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you the truth earlier. I’m sorry that you had to find out this way. Please, please come home.” Mom pleaded, placing both hands on either side of Melanie’s face.

It would be easier to come home, to forget about the whole journey, to learn more about her witch side from Mom.

But if she left, then Azrail would live with his curse. He would live a life alone, without any family of his own.

“I’m sorry, but I have to go.” Melanie said, breaking away from her.

As she flew away with Azrail, she thought of only one thing:

Protecting her family.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1487 Reviews


Points: 154417
Reviews: 1487

Donate
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 am
View Likes
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hi there, vampricone! It's been a while, so I'm popping by for a quick review today! Let's just jump right in shall we?

Melanie woke up in a white room, a Renaissance painting of cherubs and a blue sky on the ceiling above her.

I'm interested in the description here - who paints such an intricate ceiling and leaves the walls white? I love how bizarre it is. Also interesting that Melanie can recognise the style of painting which says something about her character.

With how wide the room was, it appeared to be a dining room from the olden days, when more families used to be wealthy.

Does that mean they painted white over all the old wood?

The reunion with Melanie and Azrail could have been in more depth I think. The beginning of it works super well, but the switch to 'then let's go' felt a bit abrupt.

I like the crossroads you've left at the end of the chapter - it feels like Melanie has a big choice to make and I'm not sure this is the end of it! I was surprised by how quickly she left as I expected her to be missing her family to the point she'd at least want to stay for a day or two? Or is that not possible?

Looking forward to catching the next part!

Icy






The rest of the story is underneath my folder titled %u201CLove in decaying hearts%u201D in case you%u2019re interested.





Thank you so much for reading! :>

In the olden days, wealthy families had paintings on ceilings. (Not everyone). I think that I could work on the description of the building%u2019s structure, though.





Super old churches also had these ceiling paintings! ^v^



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 7948
Reviews: 79

Donate
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:00 am
View Likes
cookiesandcream123 wrote a review...



Ayy oh my gosh, it's been so long since I've reviewed one of your works!! (Or been active on YWS at all, for that matter- but I'm so glad to be back and to see you still around with your spooky stories!

Alright, let's get started! I'll be jumping in blind since I haven't read the other chapters, so forgive me if I point out something that was explained before.

There were windows that reached from the sky to the ground, letting in bright, heavenly sunlight. Light that was covered by the trees in the forest she and Azrail were in.


Firstly, love the descriptions & imagery throughout the chapter. Though, the setting there^ confused me a little, since it says Melanie was in a white room, but then there's mention of a forest. Unless she was in a dream state/other world?

Ooo, the scene with Lenore was very chilling. As always, you do amazingly at creating intrigue and spookiness even with few words.

I really liked the interaction between Melanie and Azrail, they're so sweet together. I'm curious to learn more about them, though I feel uneasy about Melanie leaving her family. Hopefully all goes well for them. Great job on this chapter!






Thank you! For a brief moment, she was in a dream state when seeing Lenore, but got pulled back to the forest.




On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus