This Colorless World

by Abbz

Gray is such a boring color, and it is everywhere. Our clothes, our building, our books, everything is gray. The only thing that isn’t gray is the sky, even our food has been genetically altered so that it has no color. Nothing has any color. Everything and everyone is the same. Black hair, brown eyes, around the same height and weight. If anyone looked different they were taken away. Nobody knew where, but if you were taken you were never heard of again. I was different, though nobody knew. To others I looked and acted just like them. I look like I have black hair and brown eyes. I wear the same clothes and act as ignorant as everyone else. Nobody would ever suspect I had a secret. A secret that could get me taken.

I loved to draw, write, and play music. Of course this wasn’t allowed. No creativity and absolutely no color, that was the rule. There was no art, or music, and the only books we had were textbooks. The only reason I even knew of these things was because my grandfather would tell me stories about them, before he and my grandmother were taken. He told me of beautiful paintings that were hundreds of years old, stories written down and read for generations, music that would make people laugh and cry. All of that was illegal now. I still remember the songs my grandmother would sing to me late at night when no one could hear. I started humming the melody quietly to myself as I was doing school work.

A nudge in my arm brought me back to the boring world. I looked over to Nina whose eyes were as big as saucers. She knew of my secret and was always scared I would get caught. I just shrugged at her and turned my attention back to my work. Sometimes I wished I was like her, with her natural raven black hair and deep chocolate eyes. Nina is the epitome of what someone is supposed to look like and act like. I was not. I have to dye my hair every other month and wear contacts every time I am in public.

The school bell rang signaling everyone that the day was over. I put my textbooks into my ordinary backpack and headed out the door. Nina ran to catch up “What were you doing? If anyone heard you...” she whispered.

I rolled my eyes, we had this conversation all the time, “I know, I know. If anyone heard me I would be taken away. I get it, you don’t have to be so worried.”

I heard Nina sigh beside me, “If I didn’t keep you in line you would have been taken a long time ago” I shook my head in amusement. She really was so nervous all the time. I was careful; I wouldn’t get caught.

I waved goodbye to her as we came to the crossroad between my house and hers; however, instead of turning into my house I went straight. I found my little haven a little over a year ago. It was an abandoned building on the end of my street. It was rumored that the house was haunted by the ghost of the previous tenant, so people were often dared to go in there. Someone rarely ever accepted the challenge, but when they did they always came back with terrifying stories. Since I live close by, people assume that I see things in the house or something. I don’t, in fact I can’t even see the building from my house. That doesn’t stop people from asking if it’s really haunted; I have never witnessed anything unusual. Though I’ll tell people stories so that they never go in there. Terrifying stories like screeching in the night and flickering of lights.

Eli, Zeke, and myself are always daring the others to do something stupid, Nina just tells us we’re being idiotic and really shouldn’t be doing it. Sure, dares and other games are frowned upon but not necessarily illegal. This makes it the perfect thing for tennagers who want to be rebellious but don’t want to be taken away. When the boys dared me to go into the house I agreed, much to the horror of Nina who tried to dissuade me. Besides there was no way it was haunted, and I would prove it to them. The first time I stepped foot into the dwelling I thought it looked perfect. Yes, there were cobwebs in the corners, peeling paint, and rotting floors, but there was color. The paint was faded and peeling, but it was still a color. Though I couldn’t tell you what color it was. All I knew was that it wasn’t gray, and any color that wasn’t gray was beautiful. I continued to walk and when I turned the corner, I screamed and backed away. There in the room was another person. I slowly turned to look and a face appeared in front of me. I put my hand to my face and the stranger copied me. I stepped out and the stranger once again followed. Then I yelled at her and she mouthed the same words as I spoke. I blinked and tilted my head to the side, once again the person followed. I walked up to her and placed my hand on hers, but I didn’t touch another hand. I touched glass. What could this contraption be? My eyes widened as I understood what it was. It was my reflection. I never saw myself before and as I stared at myself I realized that I was pretty, and different. Sure I had the same hair and eyes as everyone else, but I had a different nose, a different head shape. Simple things that made me an individual.

I smiled at the fond memory. I have often looked at myself in the reflection glass since then. I had put up “security” around my haven. Just things that would reinforce the fear of ghosts like a cardboard cut out of a person by the window. While exploring one day I came across art supplies in the basement and a few books for toddlers. One of the books was about colors, telling me all the color names. The faded paint was that of a faded yellow. Yellow, even the word made me happy. I loved the color yellow. With wax sticks, color liquid, and different colored pencils, I drew. Unfortunately, the few materials that I did have were slowly depleting. I needed to draw; I needed to do something, to save the few materials that I did have I started doing other things. I created instruments with string and wood, and I wrote down stories. The only thing that would make my little sanctuary better was if I could share it with my friends. So I planned to invite them; Eli and Zeke would be easy enough to convince, Nina was another problem. I wasn't sure how I could convince her but I had to try.

It has been a week since I visited the Louvre. That's what I decided to call this place, my grandfather had told me that the Louvre was a famous museum where artwork was displayed. I waited outside as my group came into view. I was really hoping they wouldn’t freak out too much. Nina was the first to arrive, she gave me a skeptical look, “Why exactly did you want us to meet here?” She crossed her arms, “I’ll tell you when the others get here. I don’t want to explain more than once.” I informed her. Just as I finished Eli and Zeke showed up, “Ok, so why are we here, of all the places we could have met?” Eli asked. I didn’t answer; instead, I walked to the door and beckoned them to follow me. Eli and Zeke were the first to follow with Nina stopping on the threshold. I looked back to see her looking up at the door frame, she sighed and stepped through the door.

I motioned to the peeling paint on the wall and told them the color of it. The boys were staring in awe at the simple color, but Nina was looking at the wall like it was evil. I turned the corner like I did the first time and stopped in front of a curtain. I turned to look at them before I said, “Okay, don’t freak out.” I took the curtain in my hand and pulled. The whole group gasped as the reflection glass was revealed. They must have looked the same as me when I first saw it. Their eyes were wide, and their mouths hung open.

I smiled at them then showed them my art. I pulled out my drawings, stories, and played them music on my homemade instruments. They were silent as I showed them. Now for the next part of my plan, I turned around, put my fingers on my eye, and took off my contacts. I turned back around and stared at them through my ocean blue eyes. I was beginning to think that their faces would be permanently set at surprise. Nina was the first to snap out of it, “Elizabeth!” this was the first time I had ever heard her yell. I didn’t understand why she seemed so upset, “Put those back on and leave. We shouldn’t be here and you shouldn’t be showing your eye color. It's wrong. You need to get yourself together and accept the fact that we will all look the same and there's no need for color or any other type of creative things. I won’t be a part of this, I’m leaving. Eli and Zeke, I suggest you leave, too.” With that she turned and left the house.

Eli shook his head slightly while saying, “Well, that was a bit dramatic don’t you think?” Zeke chuckled. My shoulders sagged and I tried to put my contacts back in but a hand stopped me. I looked up and saw Zeke smiling at me. He took his hand off my arm and reached up towards his eyes. As he pulls his fingers away I see a pair of amber eyes. I blink a few times then look towards Eli, and his emerald green eyes stare back at me.

I’m practically glowing for the rest of the time in The Louvre, showing the guys everything I have done. They accepted me. I didn’t want to think about Nina; I never should have brought her here. I should have known she would have reacted that way. That didn’t matter though, it’s not like I can change it now. Zeke cut into my thoughts, “Why don’t we put these up?” I raised my eyebrows, “Do you want us to get sent away?” I looked over towards Eli expecting him to agree, except he actually looked to be considering it. I couldn’t believe he was actually considering this, “I mean… if we go at night, get some black clothes and face mask, it would be possible. No one would recognize us if we were careful.” Eli said slowly. I just groaned, I really needed to get smarter friends, “Fine. Fine, one night, and if I decide it’s the most stupid idea ever we stop. Deal?” The others nodded their heads.

The day came all too quickly for my liking. We decided to do it in a week and the entirety of it I couldn’t shake the feeling of being watched, like everyone knew what we were going to do. Nina hadn’t spoken to any of us since that night and I was beginning to think she never would. I tried all week but she hardly even looked at me. It hurt, her avoiding me like I had the plague. I didn’t want to think about it now. I turned the corner and headed straight to The Louvre. Eli and Zeke were waiting for me in the building; we had already brought everything that we would need the day before, flashlights, tapes, clothes, masks. The others were already dressed so I quickly changed in the other room. As I walked out I saw them sorting out the papers we decided to tape on the walls. This really wasn’t going to end well.

As the sun set my heart rate quickened. We took off our contacts so only our colorful eyes could be seen through our masks. Now our mission began. We split our city into three parts, they were way too big for us to get to everything but it was a start. At least if we decide to do this again. We took our small pack of papers, some tape and set off.

I stopped in front of the first building, a grocery store, and took out my tape. I squeezed my eyes shut as I began to unravel it. It squealed as I pulled it, I waited for someone to come out and start yelling but no one came. Ripping the tape was somehow worse than pulling it out. The sound echoed around me and I was sure that that would have woken someone up, but no one came. I took the first picture, a simple drawing of green trees and a blue lake, and taped it to the wall. I took a step back and smiled, it never ceased to amaze me. How could anyone try to take away color? I don’t think I will ever understand it. With that I went on to the next building.

By the time I made it back to the hideout it was an hour till sunrise. I let out a breath as I entered the door. Eli was asleep on the floor and I layed down on the other side of the room. I tried to stay up and wait for Zeke to come back, but I couldn’t stop myself from falling asleep.

The light filling through the boarded window woke me up. I looked around to see Eli in the same spot and Zeke a few feet away. He must have come in after I fell asleep. I peered at my watch and saw that school was in twenty minutes. I shot up and walked over to Eli and shoved him, “Come one guys, school’s gonna start any second now and we need to get up.” I walked into the other room and put on my change of clothes I brought. I walked back in and they were still asleep. At this rate we were gonna be really late for school. This time I walked to Zeke first and kicked him until he woke up and then went to Eli, “Come on we have fifteen minutes until school starts.” I turned and started to brush my hair. I put my contacts in and waited for them to finish, “I’ll give you five minutes until I leave without you,” I shouted as I walked out of the room. After five minutes we walked out of the door. We made it in class just as the bell rang. Nina squinted at me as I sat down, I didn’t even spare her a glance. If she wanted to avoid me then I would avoid her. I didn’t expect her to talk to me, “are you okay?” she asked. That was an understandable question. I did not look good. I had big, dark, bags under my eyes, and my skin was pale. I looked this morning in the reflection glass and tried to make myself seem more alive but I just couldn’t, “I’m fine, just didn’t sleep well. Not that you would care.” She opened her mouth to say something, then closed it and turned back towards the front of the room.

The teacher walked in and all of us sat up straighter. His jaw was locked and his face beet red, “An unspeakable crime has happened. Someone has put color on the side of some of the buildings” he spat out. The students started whispering among themselves and I heard snippets of their conversations, “My mothers store had color taped on it” “My house had a drawing of an eye, a colorful eye” I tried to contain my smile. My teacher slammed his ruler on the desk making me jump, “This is one of the worst crimes. The criminal will be caught, and if anyone sees something wrong tell someone.”

I woke up in a gray room with a white mattress, silver chair, and gray sink. My head was killing me and I couldn’t remember how I got here. The last thing I remembered was walking home from The Louvre. Eli, Zeke, and myself had celebrated until a quarter past six. Eli and Zeke went home and I started walking home an hour later. I remember walking outside the door and making it a few steps, and that's it. The next thing I remember is waking up here, which isn’t very helpful. My head really is killing me.

Someone cleared their throat and I turned around. I hadn’t even noticed they were standing there, I wondered how long they were there for. The stranger was a woman who looked to be about my parents' age. I took a deep breath before I spoke, “Where am I? How did I get here? Who are you?” She put her hand up to stop me. She spoke in a soft voice, “You do not need to know where you are nor who I am. You were brought here because you have done something wrong.” I gulped. How did she find out, “We know you did not act alone, if you tell me who helped you can leave,” I shook my head, “I don’t know what you’re talking about I haven’t done anything.” I lied. She just chuckled, “We know you put up those drawings. Your friend told us; Nina I believe her name is. Yes, she was worried you would ruin this perfect world we live in with your creativity. All we need to know is who helped you and don’t deny it. There is no way you could cover that much ground alone.” She waited for my answer. I would not give up Eli or Zeke. They would have to kill me first, which seemed very possible. I held my head up high and said in a strong voice, “I don’t know what you are talking about. I had no help, and being creative shouldn’t be a crime.” She shook her head, obviously I hadn’t given her the answer she wanted. She left the room and locked it. As soon as I could no longer hear her footsteps I crumbled to the ground.

The next couple of weeks consisted of being constantly bombarded with questions about who I was working with, how did I get the supplies, when did I start my crimes. Every time they asked I told the truth, except when they asked who I was working with. If they asked that question I told them I worked alone. There was no way I was ratting out my friends, I wasn’t going to be like Nina. Nina. Nina’s betrayal hurt, worse than anything else. Nina and I had been best friends since kindergarten, how could she do that to me? It’s like we didn’t even know each other. I opened my jaw a few times to relieve the pressure. Everytime I thought about her I would clench my jaw and it was starting to hurt.

I saw the door open and was ready for my daily interrogation. In walked the stranger; I never did learn her name,“You have been charged with high treason by attempting to bring color into this world, and with it chaos. Therefore, you have been scheduled to be executed in two days” She sounded bored as she spoke. She walked out of the room and shut the door, the lock making an audible click. I blinked a few times trying to process what she had just said. I was going to die, I couldn’t die. Not yet, I still had so much to live for. I started to hyperventilate and couldn’t calm down. I didn’t want to die, I couldn’t, I couldn’t…

The rest of the day passed in a blur. I had passed out earlier from my panic attack and yet I still couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that I would die in two days. No, I couldn't die. I would just have to find a way to escape. Excluding the interrogations, they opened the door three times for meals. If I could just find a way to push myself out then I could make it, and I would run away. I didn’t know where but one thing at a time. I just needed something to use as a weapon in case I got into trouble trying to get out. I looked around and my eyes landed on the legs of my chair. I knelt down to see that the legs were welded together. Well there goes that plan. I stood back up and turned in circles looking for anything to help me when I realized the answer was literally right in front of me. I can use the chair to knock the guard out and take his weapon. With my plan made I went to bed on my dusty mattress for the last time. Tomorrow I will escape.

I decided that it would be best to fulfill my plan at dinner time when it was dark and there weren't as many guards. At least I hoped there were less guards. Breakfast came and went, and then lunch. This really was the longest day ever. When I heard footsteps for the third time today I grabbed the chair and positioned myself beside the door. I heard the key go into the lock and turn. The guard opened the door and wasn’t expecting me to attack. With all my force I slammed the chair onto his head and he crumpled to the ground. For a few seconds I felt awful; I had just injured someone. He was just doing his job. I shook my head, it didn’t matter he was going to let me die. I looked at his belt and found a baton, well, it's better than nothing. I grabbed it and walked along the halls.

I kept to the shadows, squeezing myself up against the wall anytime I heard someone coming. It was going good so far. I should be finding an exit soon. At least I hoped I would, it was like a maze here. I turned another corner and saw a window. I ran up to it and pushed it open, it was only about a yard above the ground. I climbed up and tossed myself out the window. I landed on my shoulder hard. I moaned and rolled over on my stomach. I looked up and saw the silhouette of trees about a mile away. Pushing away the pain I pulled myself to my feet and started running.

About a quarter of a mile in, an alarm went off and spotlights started to sweep the ground. They knew I escaped. I didn’t even look back and just started to sprint, I wasn’t going to get caught. I was so close to the forest, if I made it there I could lose them. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my arm. A cried out and fell to the ground, something had my arm. They were yanking my arm in every direction, “Stop! Stop! Please, it hurts!” I begged. The baton was forgotten, all I wanted was for that animal to let me go. I felt the pressure lift off my arm, and I heard the ravenous dog barking to get back to his prey. I was starting to black out and I welcomed unconsciousness.

I awoke in a hospital bed with my arm bandaged. I had no idea how long it had been but my arm still felt like it was on fire. I turned my head to see the stranger staring at me, “It was a stupid idea to run, you should have known we would find you. Now your execution is in two hours,” with that she left. I started to sob, I didn’t want to die.

Two hours passed in no time. I was standing in front of a crowd as someone listed my supposed crimes, “This girl has committed one of the highest forms of treason one can commit. She has done something creative. In her lair she has made art, music, and even stories. She planned to share these and corrupt your brain. She already has, for she is the person who put up the paintings on the buildings. Due to these crimes Elizabeth Carpenter has been sentenced to death.” I was shoved towards the gallows. I scanned the crowd and my eyes landed on Eli and Zeke. Their eyes were red and puffy like they had been crying, I probably didn’t look any better.

I was stopped and someone behind me placed a thick rope around my neck. Eli and Zeke put their fingers to their eyes and took off their contact. I sucked in a breath, what were they doing? If they do this then I’m dying for nothing. They can’t die too, but then I noticed that other people in the crowd were following them. All of them took off their contacts. Then all at once the people took something colorful out of their pockets and raised their hands. Maybe I did start something, maybe this wasn’t such a colorless world. I held my head high as the judge gave the signal and the ground before me opened, my world went dark.

Wr3n wrote a review...

*Review*

I was NOT expecting that ending lol. I do completely love it, however! public executing was a fun turn of events. Must say, I completely expected her to survive. Also, the world building? Fantabulous. creativity being illegal is, ironically, a very creative route. I can definitely tell there was a lot of work and thought put into this. 10/10, definitely recommend!

[ Edit ]

Wr3n says...

Wait this was so cool actually

Horisun wrote a review...

Hi Abbz! Happy Review Day, and belated welcome to the site!

That ending gave me chills. This story's theme of hope in an otherwise hopeless world is told with excellent precision, and best of all, Elizabeth's death was impactful. You took the time to get the reader invested in both her character and cause, so that when the time came for her execution, we really cared.

Aside from the ending, my favorite scene was Elizabeth's interaction with her reflection. I loved, loved, loved the dramatic irony; that's one of my favorite parts of certain dystopian stories, and it's done extremely well here- not only characterizing Elizabeth, but also emphasizing the stories theme of individuality perfectly.

Then I yelled at her and she mouthed the same words as I spoke. I blinked and tilted my head to the side, once again the person followed. I walked up to her and placed my hand on hers, but I didn’t touch another hand. I touched glass.

I'm a tad skeptical that, even in a world that disparages creativity, someone could go that long without seeing their reflection in something, (glass, water, etc,) but I'm able to suspend my disbelief, because it's just such a great scene.

I did feel the pacing could use some work. You cover a lot of ground in a (relatively speaking,) short period. There are parts that I wish you dwelled on a little longer, and others that I would've rather skip, or the could've been exposited in a sentence or two, without much lost on the reader.

For example, the section about the Louvre being haunted runs at a similar length to Elizabeth's execution,

It was an abandoned building on the end of my street. It was rumored that the house was haunted by the ghost of the previous tenant, so people were often dared to go in there (...) I had put up “security” around my haven. Just things that would reinforce the fear of ghosts like a cardboard cut out of a person by the window.

The former scene comes in at around 500 words, and the latter is almost half of that. There's also very little build up between "you're going to die in two hours" and "now you're dead," which results in more 'weight' being put on the exposition vs an important story beat.

You do a great job showing your characters emotions through their physicality, but in turn, you also do a lot of 'telling' in regard to the setting. I would've loved to see a deeper exploration into what life is really like in this colorless world- not by way of exposition, but more by following Elizabeth through her day-to-day life. We get some hints that her grandparents have influenced her worldview, but I'd love to see her have more interactions with this status quo.

What is Elizabeth's future in a colorless world like? What life is there, for a creative who cannot create? What kind of job would she have settled for, had she not been executed?

^^^if you can answer these questions for your readers, we will have a much better understanding toward her motivations.

All in all, this was an extremely potent narrative. You have powerful descriptive language, a fascinating protagonist, and a strong basis for a dystopian world. I really enjoyed reading this, and I can't wait to see what you create next!

With that said, have a great rest of your night, and keep on writing! :D

AmayaStatham wrote a review...

Salutations, curious mind!

Amaya here, ready to dive into the pages of this intriguing story. 📚!

Buckle up, 'cause we're diving into my review magic! ✨

The Good Stuff:

First of all, let's talk about the parts that really rocked!

This is one of the most beautiful stories I’ve ever read. From your title to your dialogues to your last line, this is just a masterpiece. I like the names you’ve chosen for each character. Ku2 2you!

You have a strong concept along with a well-developed protagonist. Not to forget the twists that you’ve placed in the story, my god, I was not expecting Nina to be that cruel. Great thinking!

Your dialogues are well fitting and the ending is just awesome. Even though it is very sappy, it's also so sweet. I’m so glad her work was appreciated in the end and opened a lot of people's eyes. It’s sad that she died, but that gives it a more realistic touch and I’m sure it’ll stay in a lot of your readers' hearts for a long time. Awesome!

I must say it made me think of the movie, The Lorax, I’m not sure if you know that one.

(It’s about a world where you have to buy oxygen and trees/plants/greens are not allowed. Very nice one, I’d definitely recommend watching it if you haven't already.)

Areas to Improve:✒️

The following suggestions are merely to help you improve on your writing and not to offend you in any way. Feel free to skip these suggestions, if these are not what you aim for.

I’d suggest breaking some of your paragraphs up into two or three little ones, because that way it's easier to read and it doesn’t look like a big chunk of words that you can easily get lost in.

For example, here is one of your large paragraphs cut up into tinier bits:

Eli, Zeke, and myself are always daring the others to do something stupid, Nina just tells us we’re being idiotic and really shouldn’t be doing it. Sure, dares and other games are frowned upon but not necessarily illegal. This makes it the perfect thing for tennagers who want to be rebellious but don’t want to be taken away. When the boys dared me to go into the house I agreed, much to the horror of Nina who tried to dissuade me. Besides there was no way it was haunted, and I would prove it to them.

The first time I stepped foot into the dwelling I thought it looked perfect. Yes, there were cobwebs in the corners, peeling paint, and rotting floors, but there was color. The paint was faded and peeling, but it was still a color. Though I couldn’t tell you what color it was. All I knew was that it wasn’t gray, and any color that wasn’t gray was beautiful.

I continued to walk and when I turned the corner, I screamed and backed away. There in the room was another person. I slowly turned to look and a face appeared in front of me. I put my hand to my face and the stranger copied me. I stepped out and the stranger once again followed. Then I yelled at her and she mouthed the same words as I spoke. I blinked and tilted my head to the side, once again the person followed. I walked up to her and placed my hand on hers, but I didn’t touch another hand. I touched glass.

What could this contraption be? My eyes widened as I understood what it was. It was my reflection. I never saw myself before and as I stared at myself I realized that I was pretty, and different. Sure I had the same hair and eyes as everyone else, but I had a different nose, a different head shape. Simple things that made me an individual.

Overall Feelings:

As I said before, this is one of the most beautiful stories I’ve ever read. Apart from separating your paragraphs into tinier ones, this is an awesome story, with great dialogue and wonderful characters. You have amazing talent! ^-^

Have a nice day or night further! Keep writing! You are amazing!

Amazingly yours,
Amaya Statham
– Be yourself and keep writing! 📖🎉

Youbeaucupid wrote a review...

Cupid's Sweetheart Spotlights

Introduction:

SWOOSH! Greetings, lovely heart soul! Cupid here, armed with my bow, arrow, and a sprinkle of stardust for an enchanting adventure. Today, I'm diving into the captivating world of reviews with my very own Cupid's Sweetheart Spotlight. It's like the incredible YWS S'more Method, but with a dash of cupid's magic! Let's get flying, shall we?

Fluttering Wings - Initial Impressions:

Picture this: a world where creativity is outlawed, where even the whisper of a dream feels like a crime. But our hero? They're not one to blend into the background. Nope, they're a rebel with a cause, and their story? It's got more twists and turns than a rollercoaster ride! From the get-go, you'll be hooked, feeling every beat of their courageous heart as they navigate this grayscale maze.

Arrow Adjustments - Love Crafting Suggestions:

Now, let's dive into the heart of this captivating tale and sprinkle it with a touch of Cupid's magic! While your narrative flows seamlessly, I feel that there are opportunities to deepen the emotional impact and enhance your reader's connection to the characters. 💖 For example, delving further into your protagonist's internal struggle, their hidden fears, and the complexities of their relationships could add layers of depth to the story! 💭

Additionally, exploring the societal structures that enforce conformity, the history behind the colorless world, and the motivations of those who seek to maintain this oppressive regime could enrich the world-building and provide a more nuanced understanding of the narrative's backdrop. 🎨

Also, maybe consider expanding on the moments of creative expression, such as the protagonist's art, music, and stories? I feel like describing these moments in vivid detail, will really allow your readers to see, hear, and feel the beauty and power of your words!💫 Additionally, weaving in more moments of tension and suspense, especially during the escape sequence, could heighten the story's excitement and keep your readers on the edge of their seats! :D

Golden Harp Strumming - Heavenly Highlights:

Oh god, I wasn't prepared to be whisked away on a journey through your story! (You should put a warning on this story next time, telling the readers that they'll be swept off their feet, haha!) In your mesmerizing narrative, every word unfolds like a canvas waiting to be painted with the vibrant strokes of creativity and rebellion! 🎨 One of the most enchanting highlights of this tale is the protagonist's clandestine haven, where creativity blossoms amidst the shadows of oppression. As we venture into this secret sanctuary with the protagonist, we're greeted by the sights and sounds of forbidden art, music, and stories, each more captivating than the last. 🎶

One of the most striking aspects of this tale is its portrayal of resilience and defiance in the face of adversity. The protagonist's unwavering commitment to creativity, despite the harsh consequences, serves as a powerful reminder of the human spirit. Moreover, the relationships between characters are beautifully nuanced, offering glimpses of loyalty, friendship, and the complexities of trust. <3

As the story unfolds, each twist and turn keeps your readers on the edge of their seats, eager to uncover what's going to happen next! The seamless blend of tension, emotion, and thought-provoking themes makes your story a truly unforgettable read. 🌈

Cherished Verses - Cupid's Favorite Lines:

"Gray is such a boring color, and it is everywhere. Our clothes, our building, our books, everything is gray."

This opening line sets the tone for the entire narrative, painting a vivid picture of the oppressive monotony that pervades the protagonist's world. (And ours sadly) It immediately drew me into the colorless dystopia and left me with a sense of curiosity about what lies beyond the gray facade.

"The paint was faded and peeling, but it was still a color. Though I couldn’t tell you what color it was."

Aw, beautifully captures the essence of the protagonist's discovery of color in their colorless world. It symbolizes hope, possibility, and the beauty found in the simplest of things, even in a world devoid of vibrancy! :D

Final Whispers - Closing Thoughts:

In a world where sameness reigns supreme, it's the spark of creativity that lights the way, guiding us towards a brighter tomorrow! So, here's to embracing our true colors and painting the world with the hues of our dreams. After all, in the grand tapestry of life, it's the vibrant threads of individuality that make the journey truly spectacular! ^w^

Sending you all my love and heart-shaped arrows, Cupid 💘

Rose wrote a review...

Hi there! Rose here with a review for this incredible story :]

I. First Things First
I am in awe of your amazing writing style and beautiful story. The more I read, the more I realised what a wonderful concept you created. This story is a piece of fiction, but the emotions and the world seem so realistic. And you begin with such a bold statement that I just love it already.

II. Tips and Tweaks
The opening scene of this story is great, you begin with Elizabeth's thoughts that describe the colourless world she is forced to live in. And it immediately shows the thoughts of the main character and her opinion about the world. But there were two things that created a bit of blockade for me to read further; 1)the length of the paragraphs and 2) the length of the story in general.

First of all, to make it easy for reviewers to review and readers to read, you might want to shorten the piece a bit. But it would be a shame to cut out any part of this beautiful story, so you could divide it into two chapters or two parts.

Secondly, the paragraphs were large chunks of text and this took away the excitement to read further. So instead of leaving big chunks, consider dividing them into smaller bits.

For example, you could change this:

Into this:
Gray is such a boring color, and it is everywhere. Our clothes, our building, our books, everything is gray. The only thing that isn’t gray is the sky, even our food has been genetically altered so that it has no color.

Nothing has any color. Everything and everyone is the same. Black hair, brown eyes, around the same height and weight. If anyone looked different they were taken away. Nobody knew where, but if you were taken you were never heard of again.

I was different, though nobody knew. To others I looked and acted just like them. I look like I have black hair and brown eyes. I wear the same clothes and act as ignorant as everyone else. Nobody would ever suspect I had a secret. A secret that could get me taken.

Additionally, there were some parts of your story which created some confusion. For instance this part:

I don't quite get what Elizabeth did in the classroom and why it was wrong. It felt a bit abrupt.

The same goes for this part, I'm quite confused. Who is the 'he' in this situation? I'm not sure which character is being referred to here.
The only reason I even knew of these things was because my grandfather would tell me stories about them, before he and my grandmother were taken. He told me of beautiful paintings that were hundreds of years old, stories written down and read for generations, music that would make people laugh and cry.

Lastly, there are many things happening in your story, many intriguing things. But I have the feeling that this story might have made an even greater impact if it were novel.

Each part is unique, there's first the school, Elizabeth's secret, her happy place, her mission, the capture, and the execution. That all could've been different chapters. A bit more insight in the thoughts of the other characters and their interactions, especially at the part where Eli and Zeke stay at Elizabeth's Louvre.

Your characters are all unique and well developed, but more insight into their actions and reasons behind it, such as Nina who betrayed her best friend, as well as some more explanation and dialogues could have enhanced this story's depth.

But of course, do keep in mind; these are merely suggestions and considering them is entirely up to you :)

III. All in All
Everything in all and all in everything, your tale is a masterpiece, truly something beautiful and moving. Not only were you characters well-developed but also the world around them. And the ending was just so heart-wrenching and still inspiring.
Good luck with your future writing projects and I definitely hope to read more from you :)

That's it, that's all.
Hoping the review has been of value to you!

With writer’s love,
Rose

keeperofgaming wrote a review...

To take a stand. That is what this story is about.

First impressions:
Elizabeth is an inspirational character. She took a stand and stood her ground against evil. The Story is also giving major Giver vibes, not sure if that's what you intended. Also, Nina's betrayal was somewhat of a shock, but not as much as her not betraying Eli and Zeke

Characters:
Elizabeth: She is quite a fun and loving MC. The idea of an artist standing against a world of hate is so interesting, and her playfulness in wanting to show her art to her friends is so touching. Plus the inspirational stand she made by, not only painting, but also not giving up her friends is what made the story fit.

Zeke and Eli- They are also rather playful and creative, but what sold them as awesome characters was the stand they made at the end, being the first to remove their contacts. Though, they are a bit underdeveloped.

Nina- She seems to be goodhearted, but she didn't understand, fully, the consequences of telling who did it. I also noted that she could've easily inferred that Zeke and Eli helped her, but she didn't sell them out, emphasizing that she realized her error. I also like her conformality as it shows how even friends can be manipulated to betray friends.

Wonderful story, I definitely enjoyed reading.

Abbz says...

Thank you so much, I am really glad that you liked it.

Thanks for writing it.

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale