12+

Chat Rooms (Part 1?)

by Logan15

The inspiration for this came from a prompt from a friend of mine. In truth, he deserves a lot of the credit as he’s given me numerous bursts of inspiration. This is purely fiction; all the usernames are made up from my mind. If you have seen someone with a certain username/nickname or use it yourself, that’s merely by coincidence. These are not my experiences.

Happy reading! :)

——-

Have you ever been in a public chat room? I have, and let me tell you, they’re really something. To watch what happens is one thing, but to be a part of the conversations, arguments, or whatever else goes on is a whole different experience. In this fictional take on chat rooms, we learn about one chat room through the protagonism and narration of our young, queer character, Onyx_Apple.

Yes, the spelling and grammar mistakes are supposed to be there in the chatting. It’s a creative choice, as my Creative Writing teacher once said.

—-

First starting in a chat room is awkward. You’re the new kid in town, and you have no friends. Maybe one or two if they recommended the room, but that’s unlikely. You don’t know what to say or what you’re allowed to say. You don’t know when to say something and are commonly insecure about your nickname. Let me share with you my experience for the first time in this chat room.

-> Onxy_Apple has joined

Blackberrypie

I’m just saying

If there’s only 8 billion people on earth, and 99 percent of them think your unattractive 80 million people find you attractive

AngryMelody23

Good math, but I don’t agree

YourModernPacifist

You need a little bit of confidence AngryMelody23

AngryMelody23

I disagree, but you can have your opinions

Onyx_Apple

Hi

YourModernPacifist

Hi Onyx_Apple I haven’t seen you before. New here?

Onyx_Apple

Yes

After that, the room went silent for a few minutes. Well, more than a few. The awkward feeling of saying the last thing rested heavily on my shoulders. “Did I not say enough? Did I say too much? Did I do something wrong? Is it against the chat rules to say ‘yes’?” All of these questions— and more— ran through my mind at a million miles per hour. I thought about just closing the tab, never to be seen again. Future me is glad that I didn’t

Continuing on from there.

Comet

GUYS I SAW A RAINBOW

A DOUBLE RAINBOW!!!!

Guy.

Yay

AngryMelody23

I like rainbows

Onyx_Apple

That’s cool

YourModernPacifist

Rainbows are pretty

Bass

You’re all gay

AngryMelody23

I’m not gay

Comet

I am

Sometimes, some of the people in chat rooms aren’t exactly great people. In the majority of chat rooms I’ve been in, there’s always that one person who’s just a jerk and doesn’t care about the other people in the room. If you’re lucky, there will be another classic character: The One Who Stands Up to The Jerk. I know, it’s kind of a cheesy title, but it’s really what they do. Just observe this excerpt from the room, starring Bass as The Jerk, and Comet as The One Who Stands Up to The Jerk.

-> Onxy_Apple has joined

Onyx_Apple

Hi

AngryMelody23

Don’t be a jerk Bass

Hi Onyx_Apple

Bass

Youre psycho

Change your life maybe that’ll make you likeable

Or stop being gay

That’ll help too

Comet

You should know that your comments don’t affect me

Bass

I know they do

You’re just lying

Onyx_Apple

You don't actually offend us. You know that, right?

Comet

You cannot defeat the queer

<- Bass has left

Comet

Oof I guess the gay was too powerful lol

Onyx_Apple

Yeah lol I guess it was

Comet

Good timing with your comment too lol

That conversation easily became one of my favorites; I’ve always loved a good queer talk, even if it’s from combating a homophobe.

——-

I really enjoyed writing this piece, so I hope to write more like it in the future! A special thanks goes to the friend who inspired it.

AkuRashomon wrote a review...

Hello! This is AkuRashomon, and I am here to give you a review/comment of your work. This konda reminds me of the chat room in YWS, lol. I have seen a couple of usernames like that, and it's good. It's pretty cool, actually. Things are said a lot by their usernames and how they act towards society. You have said that it is fiction, but it could feel real, too.

Happy reading! :)

Here's a thing. I have never been in a chat room, but I know that there is a lot of pressure put on people who have experienced being in a chat room on social media. People are similar yet different at the same time. Some of them want to cuase trouble, some like to be nice, some people don't understand what is going on and so on. But, what is similar to them is that all of them are in a chat room, trying to fit in. Onyx_Apple, your protagonist, on the other hand is new to these kinds of things and it saddens me that this person is trying to fit in but does not know what to do or understand the situation in the chat room once he/she/they enter the chat room.

I do also love the way you use third person form in this piece. It is basically like I am Onyx_Apple. Because as your reader, I can feel the emotions, whether it is uneasiness or happiness; I can feel the protagonist in this story.

Ooh, I love the formatting. It is actually like a chat room! You see in this part of the story, Onyx_Apple seems like an introvert trying to fit in because they are/ he/she is the new kid in town. Onyx_Apple enters in a situation that is clearly hard to understand. So it perfectly fints well with the sotry since I am Onyx_Apple and I cannot understand nor back read the past conversations that has happened before I entered the chat room. Wait, now I remember I entered a Discord server and J couldn't relate with anyone which made me feel lonely so I left the server. Yeah, I did experience going to a public chat with different kind of people and the experience feels like this. You misspelled your character's name at the firt part of this part.

-> Onxy_Apple has joined

Blackberrypie

I’m just saying

AngryMelody23

Good math, but I don’t agree

YourModernPacifist

AngryMelody23

Onyx_Apple

Hi

YourModernPacifist

Onyx_Apple

Yes

This part kinds of confuse me, like at first you were pertaining to me as Onyx_Apple but then now, you are telling the story in a first person form. You can fix that because it may seem confusing to your readers. :D

Continuing on from there.

I like how in this part you can see the different kinds of people. The one that is gay, the one that dislikes rainbows, the one that likes rainbows and the one who is assuming and being mean in a way.

Comet

GUYS I SAW A RAINBOW

A DOUBLE RAINBOW!!!!

Guy.

Yay

AngryMelody23

I like rainbows

Onyx_Apple

That’s cool

YourModernPacifist

Rainbows are pretty

Bass

You’re all gay

AngryMelody23

I’m not gay

Comet

I am

Like this part, it clearly explains the bad and the good in humanity as you name Bass as The Jerk and Comet as The One Who Stands Up To The Jerk. People fight the bad for good and people to bad to the good.

-> Onxy_Apple has joined

Onyx_Apple

Hi

AngryMelody23

Don’t be a jerk Bass

Hi Onyx_Apple

Bass

Youre psycho

Or stop being gay

That’ll help too

Comet

Bass

I know they do

You’re just lying

Onyx_Apple

Comet

You cannot defeat the queer

<- Bass has left

Comet

Onyx_Apple

Yeah lol I guess it was

Comet

Good timing with your comment too lol

It was quite a controversial talk actually but I like how you choose to what you are and what you firmly believe in, making it the good side to your story. I did like your story and I would like to see more of your work like this. 'Tis quite unique and creative to showcase a chat room like this. I want to see more Onyx_Apple too and how this character can improve and get out of their comfort zone in this storyline. There are grammatical and spelling errors though which very writer goes through. But we can improve. Good job!

——-

P.S. sorry for my typos, I typed this on my phone. :D

- AkuRashomon

Logan15 says...

Hi!
Thank you so much for reviewing this! It was very, very helpful and supportive.
The spelling/grammar issues in the chat-like are supposed to be there to show how real chat groups don't always have the best grammar.
Have an amazing day/night!

AkuRashomon says...

With the grammar and spelling, I spotted some in the paragraphs :)) idk if that was meant to. You're welcome!

Logan15 says...

Yeah, understandable. I forgot to check for grammar issues beforehand, so hopefully I'll remember next time!

22Midnight wrote a review...

Hi names 22Midnight
hope your doing well, let's get into it!

First Impression: from the title I guess I clicked on it because i've heard a little bit about YWS chat room but it no longer works so I don't really know what it is, guess this might give me some hints.

-> Onxy_Apple has joined

Onyx_Apple

Hi

AngryMelody23

Don’t be a jerk Bass

Hi Onyx_Apple

Bass

Youre psycho

Or stop being gay

That’ll help too

Comet

Bass

I know they do

You’re just lying

Onyx_Apple

Comet

You cannot defeat the queer

<- Bass has left

Comet

Onyx_Apple

Yeah lol I guess it was

Comet

Good timing with your comment too lol

this is funny with the back and forth between everyone, guess this is supposed to be a fun way to argue about stuff and get frustration out but be polite about it still XD.

well all of of it put together from all the different conversations i guess this is the type of conversation's that everyone has with each other, so really just having fun and not really worrying about anything.

sounds like the chat must have been similar to Writer feed pads, where others just get to hang out and talk to each other about whatever.

Overall: I can tell this was a simple thing put to gather to remind people of fun and happy memories that can be kept for a very long time, to remind everyone of how strong a friendship can be even if your not face to face, it was really well written and I'm glad that I read it.

anyway that's it from me

hope you have a great dawn/dusk/midnight

See Ya

Logan15 says...

Thank you so much for reviewing it! Very helpful!
Have a wonderful day/night!

Meet me in Montauk.
— Charlie Kaufman