z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

The Prime Control Chapter 4 Part 2: The Lost and the Found

by keeperofgaming


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

“Hey, you, you’re finally awake.”

“Huh? Where am I?”

“Weird, your eyes are open, but they seem unfocused. Can you see?”

“…no.”

“That’s not good, here, hold your eyes open. I’ll give you a salve that should repair your sight.”

“Thank you.”

The strange female voice touched the side of my head, it was a cold hand, yet comforting. I felt liquid drop into my eye, then it was like a shield over my eyes cracked then shattered.

“YAAAA!!!”

“What?! It shouldn’t be painful!”

“Sorry, the sudden brightness just hurt.”

“Weird.”

I heard scribbling, then I turned to the voice which belonged to a petite blueish woman, she was wearing a hood.

“Hello?”

“Hi!”

She turned to me, revealing fangs and green eyes, it felt like I was looking at a shark in human form.

She even had gills on her side.

“Um… what are you?”

“Better question, what are you?”

“Um… human?”

“Hah, that may work against most, but I’m not foolish enough to believe that for a second. There’s no way a human could create that strong of a flame spire spell. I’d assume you were a fire atronach, but my mending you showed no signs of mana blood. So, what are you, an Archon?”

“No, believe it or not, I’m just a human.”

“Oh, come on, even if you were the one in a billion humans that have magic, no human has enough magic to do that. Even with the amount of scarring you got from it.”

“Scarring?”

“Oh, don’t play coy, you know exactly what you did.”

“The last thing I remember is crushing the demon’s stone.”

She smiled.

“Exactly, a human would never do that, they’d try to consume it or something.”

“Well, I don’t know what to tell you, I am human.”

“Then why did the great lady sacrifice her arm to protect you?”

“What?”

“The Lady of the Lake fought to defend you before you torched that demon. The only human she’d do that for is Arthur, and you most certainly aren’t Arthur.”

“Is she okay?”

“As okay as you could be, losing your arm and a significant portion of your wing.”

“Her wing?”

“Yeah, when that fiend bit off her arm, it caught and ripped the wing.”

“Can you help her?”

The shark lady sighed.

“While I would love to make up for my cowardice in facing the demon, by healing her, it’s beyond my capabilities, just as you’ll be lucky if you can ever cast magic again, she’d be lucky if she could ever fly again.”

“So, she’s crippled? I… let her get crippled?”

“Definitely not a human.”

“What?”

“You heard me say that you could never cast magic again, and you’re more concerned about the lady never flying again.”

“Because I could have helped. If I used control earlier, I could have stopped the demon.”

“Please, you couldn’t have, don’t blame yourself. The only reason you overcame the demon’s will was because of your rage. I’m more to blame, I watched it happen to the lady I swore to protect and hid like a coward.”

“What?”

“I am what humans call a knight of Avalon. I was there, I saw it happen… and I did nothing… I was tempted to fall on my sword in shame, but I knew that it would be far worse if I let you two bleed out.”

“Wait, if you were there the whole time, does that mean that you know-“

“The lady’s name, yes, I heard it… How did that foul demon learn it?”

“I don’t know, but there is a demon named the Hunter that knows all pixie’s names.”

Her eyes widened.

“This isn’t good, you need to tell-“

“The Pixie Counciler already sealed the Sylvian Woods.”

The knight sighed in relief.

“That is good, but it makes more sense why they’d be after my lady, she is the last one who can open that gate, and the power of the pixies is… nearly unmeasurable. Once my lady’s name is cleared and she finally takes her place as the Pixie Monarch, she will be unstoppable. Even Morgan would fear her.”

“Wow… by the way, you said I could never use magic again, why?”

“Now you ask… well, there are a few reasons. First of which, you have what is called a scarred reservoir. When a being uses every drop of magic they have, their reservoir gets hurt and narrows, lowering the capacity for magic.”

“So, because I controlled a demon and did the fire spire, I exhausted my magic?”

“Not only that. I was watching your mana levels the entire fight. It was 0 the moment you told the demon to kill himself. By all logic, he should have been able to break out.”

“Then… how did he not?”

“That guides us into the second major problem. You scarred your very soul.”

“What?!”

“Listen, the reason I know for certain you aren’t a human is because you used soul conversion, you turned a major part of your soul into mana to power your control and the flame spire. Only demons and a few other races can do that.”

My eyes widened.

“My control power gives me access to the attribute of the one I control. That conversion was because I controlled the demon.”

“Huh, that seems useful, and it would make sense. You may be human after all, just with such an inconvenient power.”

“Maybe, so why would that prevent me from using magic.”

“Heck, the fact you can move and speak is nothing short of a miracle. Magic is a given disability with how much of your soul you must have used, not even considering the fact that you are a human. A demon would have trouble moving after using that level of soul conversion.

“I see.”

I stood up and nearly fell over, but the knight caught me.

“Careful, as I said, it’s a miracle you can move, don’t try to move too fast or you could cripple yourself.”

“Alright.”

“Also, I have to thank you.”

“Why?”

“Because not only did you do all that to save the lady, but you even removed your covering, unblocking your own bleeding, to block hers.”

“I could never live with myself if I let her die.”

“Neither could I. Let me show you her.”

She held me up as I hobbled in the direction she led me.

Then I saw a glass case that was spiraling with magic.

In the center of the case, Taurael was floating.

“What… what’s happening?”

“She woke for a moment, then when she saw you in your state, she began bursting with magic and passed out again. That case is to contain her power. Remember, she is the Lady of the Lake, she isn’t just a small fry pixie. If I kept her outside the case, then my whole house would have been annihilated.”

Then she grimaced.

“As much as I hate keeping her in it, it’s necessary until she wakes up.”

“How long will it take?”

“She should wake up any second now.”

“Thank goodness.”

“By the way, you probably should keep that power of yours under wraps. If people knew you had that level of power, there would be several who’d try abusing it, or even kill you for it.”

“Yeah, only you, her, and an earth golem know.”

“An Earth Golem. That seems dangerous.”

“No, I made sure she wouldn’t tell anyone.”

“Ah, if I hadn’t seen what you did to that demon, I wouldn’t believe you… you are quite powerful.”

“Yeah… it’s terrifying.”

The knight looked at me.

“What’s your name, mine’s Alvane.”

“William.”

“Well, it’s good to meet you.”

“William…”

We looked at the case. Taurael’s eyes fluttered.

“William, don’t hurt William… please.”

“Taury, I’m fine.”

“William… thank goodness…”

Then her eyes opened and she sunk to the bottom of the case, the spiraling magic fading.

“It’s odd. I’ve never seen a human on name basis with the Lady, not even Arthur.”

“William… Alvane?”

“Hello my lady. It’s been many years.”

“It has… why am I in a magic case… WHERE IS MY ARM?!”

“Um, Taury, it was bitten off by the demon.”

“Oh… William, why are you using that near her?”

“Because she heard your name from the demon.”

“Oh…”

I opened the case and she tried flying only to yelp in pain and fall down.

“Here.”

I grabbed her gently. Carrying her, she blushed deeply. Alvane looked at her with a measure of confusion and shock.

“My lady, I regret to tell you, but I am a coward unfit to have sworn myself to you. I simply watched in fear as the demon crippled you and scarred your lover. If you wish I will fall on my sword now.”

“L-l-lover?!”

Taurael squeaked and both of us flushed.

“Oh, I apologize, was I incorrect in my foolish assumption?”

“N-not exactly, we’re just not quite… there yet.”

“Ah, I see, but if you will I will fall-“

“Don’t kill yourself, from the looks of it, you tended to us and saved us after the demon left, is that correct?”

“Yes, my lady…”

“Well, then see that as the debt fulfilled. By the way, did you see which way the demon went after hurting us?”

Alvane stuttered.

“Well, my lady… your lo-… William slew it with a harrowing measure of magic power, scarring his reservoir to near nonexistence.”

“WHAT?! YOU’RE SCARRED THAT BADLY?!”

“It’s fine, Taury. You’re safe, that’s what matters. I just wish I could’ve done that sooner and prevented you from losing an arm and… a lot of your wing in the first place.”

“I suppose I should be happy that you are alive, but… your magic. Morgan will not be happy with that.”

“Oh, she certainly won’t be.”

“My lady, with all respect. Why do you stay with that accursed spriggan?”

“*Sigh* Alvane, listen, people still think I killed my parents. As punishment because they can’t prove it, they made me her servant. If I were to flee, then they’d see it as confirmation of my guilt.”

“I see… so, it’s a trap.”

“Essentially, though luckily, Morgan is at least on the side that I wouldn’t have done it.”

“That is good, well, it was good to see you again, my lady. I will be sure to let my sisters know.”

“Do that, it would be nice to see you all again.”

“I agree, my lady.”

I smiled at the wholesomeness, but then grimaced.

“Is there any way you could be healed?”

Taury sighed.

“If I flew into the Sylvian Dream when it appeared in the Sylvian woods, then all of my injuries would fade. My arm and wing would be restored, but the problem comes with flying. I can’t have someone carry me or even throw me into it. It only blesses those who fly in themselves.”

“I see… that’s a problem.”

“Because even if I recover flight, the pain will be too great to fly more than a few seconds, maximum.”

“Yeah…”

We left Alvane’s house. It was a small cottage with a ripe garden full of exotic fruits.

“Which way to town?”

Alvane answered.

“Straight east.”

“Oh, thanks. What’s the time?”

“Just walk in the general direction of the sun. You’ll run into town.”

Me and Taury walked in silence. The bitter wind beating down on us like laughter. We may have killed a demon, but I was not able to use magic, and Taury couldn’t fly, she could barely even walk.

I held her to my chest, and she fell asleep. She didn’t snore. The silence was deafening.

I saw the town over the horizon and sighed.

“I think I’m gonna skip class today.”

Then I realized that I probably should have asked how long me and Taury were out for. If it was longer than a day, the people could be in a panic.

Then I saw a poster confirming my fears.

{Missing. William Cambell. Missing for 2 days. If you see him, please call college headmistress Veronica Silvers Jones at ##########}

“Crap. Two days… Sorry, everyone.”

I would call her if my phone was more than a pile of dust in my pocket.

I walked into a store and heard a gasp.

I looked and saw the cashier looking at me.

“What?”

“Are you okay? You look like you need a hospital!”

“Yeah, I’m good. Could I use your phone? I’m the guy on the poster outside.”

“Oh… sure.”

The teenager handed me the phone and I dialed Mrs. Jone’s.

“Hello, Veronica Jones speaking.”

“Hey ma’am. I’m sorry I was missing. My phone broke so I couldn’t get in contact with you.”

“WILLIAM! Oh, thank goodness you are okay… I was so worried when no one could find you.”

“Yeah, I’m fine now, but if you don’t mind, I kind of want to take the day off today…”

“Oh, yes, of course. I’ll notify everyone that you are okay.”

“Thank you.”

“Have a good day and get rest.”

“Thank you. You have a good day too.”

I hung up and sighed.

“Alright, what money do… my wallet was also reduced to dust. I’ll just go ho-”

“Hey, sir, take this.”

He handed me a microwave pizza.

“I’ll pay for it. Whatever kept you missing… it looks like you need it.”

“Thank you, you’re a good kid.”

“Thank you, sir.”

I left and walked back to my apartment where I unlocked the door. The key, while somewhat warped, still worked. It seemed that my flame spire was quite hot.

“I wonder if the people here could see the spire.”

I looked at the crippled pixie in my hand.

“Taury, here, lay here.”

I laid her on my bed, by the pillow, as gently as I could.

“Rest for now.”

I fell asleep immediately. I needed the rest.

_

I woke up with a groan.

I noticed that Taury wasn’t where I left her.

“Taury?”

“In here.”

I walked in the kitchen and saw her using fire magic to heat the pizza I was gifted.

“You can use fire?”

“Light is an offshoot, so I can use a bit of it.”

We sat down and began to eat in silence. I broke it first.

“How long was I out?”

“Eighteen hours.”

“…Wow…”

“Don’t be too shocked, you, not only took on a demon, but used enough magic that, by all intents and purposes, you should have died. Eighteen hours is almost extraordinary for how quickly you recovered.”

“Well, that does make sense.”

“Yeah… I assume you want to go to school today?”

“Yeah.”

“*Sigh* Well, we should probably get cleaned up, you still look like you were just eviscerated, and I doubt I look much better.”

“I’d say you look a bit worse.”

Her brown hair was matted with blood, making it more crimson, and the missing right arm, combined with the stitched-up gouge made it look like she was barely holding onto life.

I looked in a mirror and realized that I didn’t look much better.

My eyes were sunken and I had claw marks on my sides. As well as a massive fading bruise on my back. Various scratches and even a few fang marks were spread across my body.

My clothes were also darkened and somewhat burnt from my flame spire.

I sighed.

“I’m gonna take a shower.”

“Me too.”

I stopped and looked at her.

She responded with an 'are you serious?’ look.

“I’m missing an arm and half of my wing. I certainly can’t clean myself.”

“But…”

“Oh, you big baby, stop blushing. Not like it’s the first time I saw you like that.”

“Heh?”

“Please, how do you think I healed you the first time a demon eviscerated you?”

“Oh, I never really thought about it… but still, it’d be my first time seeing you like that.”

She thought then blushed….

“Stop thinking about it and just clean me!”

So… we showered together.

_

I went to school feeling a lot better after the shower. Despite the worry, it wasn’t actually that awkward, she could do most of it herself. I just had to bring her the soap and whatnot.

I still had to carry her, but she sat on my head again.

I still looked like I just escaped torture, but at least I didn’t look half dead anymore.

When I got to school many people gasped upon seeing me, and I walked to Math.

When I entered I sighed.

Everyone looked at me with differing measures of relief and shock. On one hand, I was no longer missing. On the other hand, I looked like I was nearly dead.

“Yeah, I know, I resemble a bear mauling survivor.”

I sat in my chair and sighed again. My legs still hurt quite a bit.

The professor came in and saw me.

“Mr. Cambell, are you sure you don’t want to take another day off? I’m sure no one would blame you.”

“I already missed three days. I’d prefer to not miss more.”

“Alright, well, then let’s begin.”

I looked down and saw Amy looking at me with curiosity.

She mouthed.

“You are explaining at lunch.”

I looked at Brent who had a suspicious and tired look.

“Same as her.”

Oh dear.

_

“So, explain.”

“I don’t know how much I can say wi-“

“Before you say anything, my family is a sponser for the Order, so while I may not have a relic, I do know that no normal animal can do that.”

“Oh… well that makes it easier.”

Brent sighed.

“So, what happened?”

“A demon attacked me and Wings.”

Both of their eyes widened.

Amy asked.

“Who’s Wings?”

“The pixie I have with me.”

Brent had a very different question.

“How the absolute flying **** are you alive?!”

“Because I exhausted my magical source to the point I nearly died to kill it.”

“Wait, you can cast magic?”

Brent nodded.

“Never seen him do it, but it sounds powerful, but a quick question, what do you mean exhausted it to near dead.”

“I used all of my magic and then some, I’ll be lucky if I ever cast magic again.”

Brent had a serious expression.

“Could you have been behind that flame spire?”

“Yeah, that was me.”

“Wow… that… definitely would be a lot of magic.”

“Not only that, but it took even more magic to force the demon in a position he couldn’t escape from the spire.”

“Goodness gracious. But… you killed it?”

“Yes…”

“Incredible, I don’t think any human in recorded history other than Arthur himself ever killed a demon.”

“Yeah…”

“But, when the order checked, nothing was there but dust.”

“A knight of Avalon took us in and treated us for two days.”

“That makes sense, with Wings being the Lady of the Lake and all.”

Amy’s eyes were almost spirals of confusion.

“Wait, so you killed a demon with enough magic that you should have died, then you were saved by a mythical knight to your friend who is a mythical queen? Do I have that right?”

“Pretty much.”

Taury climbed down from my head and Brent gasped.

“Yeah, I didn’t get off scot-free either.”

“Brent, what happened?”

“Amy, Wing’s just climbed down from William’s head… she’s missing an arm… and what looks like a lot of her wing.”

“That… sounds horrible.”

Taurael nodded.

“It is… I’d be lucky if I ever fly again.”

She sat down on my hand.

“Both me and William were hurt quite a bit.”

“Wow… here, I’ll tell the Order to back off for a while. I also won’t tell them about the spire being you.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

Brent walked off and Amy smiled.

“I’m glad you’re okay. I was so worried.”

“Thanks, I am okay now.”

“Yeah, and I know I can’t see you, but Wings? I hope you recover.”

“Thank you… Amy.”

_

I began to walk from the college.

I nearly ran into Grace.

“Hi.”

“Hey, man. Are you good? You seem very hurt.”

“Yeah, I’ll live.”

“Well, that’s good. What did that to you?”

“It was a demon.”

“Goodness… I hope you at least did a number back.”

“Well, it’s stone is mere dust now.”

Her eyes widened and she grabbed me.

“You killed it?”

“Yeah… It was hard.”

“It would be. I assume that flame spire was you then.”

“How many people noticed it?”

“Oh, virtually everyone… in fact, the media was calling it a deity's wrath. Many people are now saying that magic is real, and others are saying it was likely a fire that got caught up in a small tornado.”

“Wow…”

“Yeah, it was as conspicuous as Morgan’s roar. Maybe even more so, as with the roar, most could excuse it as an earthquake, but the flame spire is a bit harder to excuse.”

“Yeah, I’d imagine.”

“But, who knew that you also had a flame attribute.”

“Yeah, that was a lot more convenient to tell Morgan than my main power.”

“Oh, I’d imagine, but still, that you managed to kill a demon is a major deal. Don’t tell Morgan if you don’t have to.”

“Got it.”

“And… what happened to Wings… was that from the demon?”

“Yeah… it was incredibly powerful, without my specific power, I would have likely lost.”

“Yeah, that’s why I suggest not saying you killed it. Say you scared it off, a flame spire would definitely scare a demon, especially one going after a human, so that works.”

“Got it.”

I thanked Grace for the advice and began walking towards Morgan’s Palace.

It took a while, but I reached it.

I sighed deeply.

“Morgan! We need to report something!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
992 Reviews


Points: 301
Reviews: 992

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:58 am
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the mutated S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - William and Taurael get healed by Alvane, who thinks that they’re together, William causes a flame spire, and Morgan soon receives a report on what had conspired.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - It’s fine, I like this chapter! I just can’t wait to read more.

Chocolate Bar - I can’t believe that William caused a flame spire…how much power does he really have? How much energy is within him? Only time will tell…and there’s one thing left for me to review.

Closing Graham Cracker - Overall, full of twists and turns, William will only grow more in his journey…and Taurael and him will only grow closer…

I wish you a fabulous day/night!




User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 45840
Reviews: 257

Donate
Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:02 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

That was great! The introduction of Alvane was very enjoyable, she seems like a cool character, and learning what we did about the aftermath of the fight was bittersweet; could be worse, but not great as it is for sure. Then, reading through how everything was interpreted by others, it allowed for a lot of interesting information. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I didn't find anything to put here today! Great writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

As William wakes up and talks to Alvane, the consequences of the attack -and what's at stake- creates a somber atmosphere and leaves me wondering how the characters will be affected, and what will happen in the future as a result of this:

“While I would love to make up for my cowardice in facing the demon, by healing her, it’s beyond my capabilities, just as you’ll be lucky if you can ever cast magic again, she’d be lucky if she could ever fly again.”


With so much trouble already aimed their way, sounds like things will get rough! Then, as William talks to Alvane, I found the fact that she actually respected Taury to be interesting, since it's not exactly common for her to have such treatment in this sphere of fey and magic-users. Not only did Alvane respect her, but she showed some great faith in her abilities and status here this:

Once my lady’s name is cleared and she finally takes her place as the Pixie Monarch, she will be unstoppable.


Cool. I also thought Taury's and William's reactions were a good reflection of their friendship:

“WHAT?! YOU’RE SCARRED THAT BADLY?!”

“It’s fine, Taury. You’re safe, that’s what matters. I just wish I could’ve done that sooner and prevented you from losing an arm and… a lot of your wing in the first place.”


The concern for each other was sweet, and I couldn't resist laughing a bit when Alvane teased them about being lovers, haha.

As they make a return and talk to the others, it was cool to see how the attack was perceived by them -and the fact that it was at all was interesting:

“Oh, virtually everyone… in fact, the media was calling it a [deity's] wrath. Many people are now saying that magic is real, and others are saying it was likely a fire that got caught up in a small tornado.”


[Minor potential error I didn't notice before, deity's was in the wrong form I think]. Anyway, It sounds like that fire spell was even more intense than I originally thought! And the growing companionship between Amy, Grace, and even Brent with their empathy toward the situation makes me think they'll be a lot of help somehow in the future.

Leaving off with an impending report to Morgan, I'm curious what awaits!

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, great chapter, nicely done! :D

Image






Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed.




Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy