z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 28: Journey to the Dungeon

by keeperofgaming


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

“So, you are here to help?”

“Yes.”

“Then why break our economy?”

“Because it’s evil. That is my job.”

He growled for a moment before returning to the task at hand.

“There have been sightings of lesser demons along with goblins and we think that a group of them will cause mayhem to the city.”

“You have A rankers here, send them.”

“We have, only 3 returned.”

“How many did you send?”

“10.”

“So, you think that there may be a greater demon.”

“Yes.”

“Tell you what. I don’t need the money for completing this, if you free whatever slaves you own.”

“You-”

He breathed in deeply. Even he knew that he needed me.

“Fine, if you succeed and deal with the ringleader, I will free my slaves.”

“Thank you, lolimaster.”

“Don’t call me that.”

I left without being dismissed. He was confident that I wouldn’t hurt him, but he knew that he couldn’t exactly get me in trouble for melting his gear. After all, that would expose his deeds as well.

I went out and saw a group of adventurers.

“We were assigned to help you. Guildmaster insisted.”

A lie. The only word about that was help. Likely the lolimaster wants me to die but is too cowardly to attempt it himself. These guys all were A quality, and one was even S quality.

We began to move out and the adventurers followed behind me.

“Alright, we are far enough now.”

“For what?”

“Get on my back.”

“Huh?”

I shifted into a dragon causing some of them to scream.

“Get on my back, we can get to the valley much quicker that way.”

The S level did it first, but he had a smirk. Maybe he thought that he could kill me while on my back.

The others slowly got on and then I took off. The air pressure caused some of them to scream, but when we reached cruising altitude I evened out. They were shakened but looked over and I heard a gasp from the youngest one. Not fear, but awe.

“And now you see what we see.”

“Incredible.”

They were shocked to see the expanse of the world below them. Even the S level was in awe. None of them had seen the world from this perspective. In their mind, it was unbelievable.

_

We reached the town that we were heading to an hour after we set out. I landed on the field next to it and shifted. We were supposed to meet with the guildmaster here and he would send us to where the evil beings were.

But having a dragon land near the gate caused massive panic. When I became my catkin form their panic lessened, but a spear was still thrown... and broken by my chestplate.

“Relax, we need to meet with the guildmaster.”

“Are those the A ranks who failed us before?”

“Hah, how dare those fools come back.”

“They should just put on collars.”

“Yeah!”

The A rankers began to look ashamed.

“You try it then.”

Everyone looked at me.

“You try dealing with the evil beasts.”

“What? We are civilians. We aren’t strong enough.”

“Then why criticize the adventurers that tried before. Don’t get mad at them if you are too cowardly to even attempt what they failed.”

Everyone looked at me in shock.

“Hey girl, stay out of this.”

“No, I don’t think I will. You are insulting my comrades but are too cowardly to do anything yourself.”

Of course, they had a man sneaking up behind me with a collar. My party was conflicted. On one hand, they were supposed to make sure I didn’t return, on the other hand, I stood up for them.

Then the youngest.

“Rose! Look out!”

The collar snapped around my neck and the merchant that did it seemed proud of himself.

“A dragon under my control. I can do so much with this. Come here.”

I did.

“Now, k-”

I kicked his groin, causing him to collapse in pain and agony. I took off the collar and slapped it around his neck. I seized the contract related to it and said.

“Take out the contracts.”

Shaking, he did.

“Burn them.”

He cast a fire spell and all of his contracts went up in flames. I tossed the one he was linked too in there as well.

“Congratulations, you’re a free man now, try that again and you will lose more than just your slaves.”

I walked over to the guard who was frozen in place.

“Now, could me and my kind party come in and talk to the guild master? Or will you hold us up more.”

The guards opened the gate and me and my party entered. They were in awe. The S level walked up to me.

“Hey, um sorry about earlier today. I didn’t want to disobey the guildmaster.”

“Don’t worry. I don’t bring personal business into missions, and besides, I’m sure the lolimaster will face his comeuppance one day.”

The party snorted with that title being given to the guildmaster.

We got to the guild hall entrance sharing adventures we’d been on. It turned out that the S level hated slavery as well, he was just more terrified of the guildmaster and other adventurers than he hated slavery.

“Why, you are S level in terms of power?”

“Well, I did the adventurers bane, and the boss there terrified me to the point where I fled. It was a beast far greater than any I’d faced before.”

“Was it a dragon?”

He froze for a moment before failing to speak.

“Ah, don’t worry, you could challenge it again. Thalia now works for Calesen as a smith.”

“Thalia?”

“The former boss of the adventurer’s bane dungeon, and my older sister.”

“Wait, so I could try it again?”

“Yes.”

“They ridiculed me as a coward for fleeing, especially because I couldn’t explain myself.”

“Yes, she had you agree to a contract before letting you go.”

“I figured that out, but most thought I merely wouldn’t mention it so they wouldn’t laugh at me. Even after more S candidates fled and many didn’t come out at all, they still regarded me as a coward.”

“That sucks, but why are you scared of the guildmaster.”

“Because he is an S rank.”

“I see.”

Compared to me, most people were weak, so I didn’t usually check their power level.

A party member of his spoke up.

“Yeah, boss tried writing it down, but his hand seized whenever he did it, so we knew it had contract magic, but we couldn’t figure out which one until now.”

“Hmm.”

We entered the guild, and some jerk started laughing.

“Hey, cowardly knight. How are you? Scared of the dungeon still?”

“No, in fact I intend to rerun it again after this current mission.”

“Ooh, so you waited for there to be a new boss? Sure, you won’t run this time?”

“Yes.”

“Who’s the girl? Is she for sale?”

The guild erupted in laughter.

“No, she’s actually the senior of the mission.”

“Hah, wow, they think you’re so weak you only need a little kid to keep you in line.”

“Actually, we are here to keep her in line.”

“Hah!”

The man walked up and grabbed my shoulder.

“You’re too weak. They want you to guard a little cat- OH MY GOODNESS!!!”

Not even my party knew why he freaked out, but he was shivering against the wall. I had focused and released the full extent of my aura straight at him.

He was the only one to feel it, and now he was cowering in the corner muttering nonsense.

The S level turned to me an unamused look.

“What did you do?”

“Shot my aura at him.”

“Try not to break the minds of the people you are trying to help.”

“Eh, he deserved it.”

Finally, he had a smile.

“Yes, I suppose so.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
242 Reviews


Points: 41903
Reviews: 242

Donate
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello Again, My Friend!

I'm continuing my review of this great story today, again using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Alright, so thus far, things are going better than I thought they would! I love how Rose handles these guys, and this had a pleasant change of pace with the fellow adventurers, who seem to be warming up to Rose and her perspective -if they ever disagreed in the first place. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I didn't find anything to put here! Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

As Rose talks to the guildmaster, I enjoy a lot of the details that got folded in, beyond just the assignment. Like here:

“Because it’s evil. That is my job.”

He growled for a moment before returning to the task at hand.


The fact that he refuses to engage when told this by Rose, immediately just growling and diverting to another subject, tells me he probably knows tat it's wrong, and just refuses to acknowledge it. Or, he doesn't think it's worth the time wasted as he thinks Rose will be "taken care of" soon enough (hah, what an idea...). Either way, it caught my attention. So did this...

“We have, only 3 returned.”

“How many did you send?”

“10.”


Jeez! Well, that's enough to draw more interest in this mission and its possible threats! As Rose takes the remaining adventurers with her, I enjoyed this detail about the journey:

They were shocked to see the expanse of the world below them. Even the S level was in awe. None of them had seen the world from this perspective. In their mind, it was unbelievable.


I like to think this, in combination with Rose's docile personality -despite her power- is helping to open their mind more and respect her. Especially when the youngest tries to warn her about the slaver. It's just a touching moment when people realize the dragon's true nature in this story, instead of the hype and rumors.

Then, when dealing with those bitter civilians/slavers, I LOVED how Rose retaliated. Contracting him to burn the contracts, including his? And this snarky quote to follow it up?

“Congratulations, you’re a free man now, try that again and you will lose more than just your slaves.”


So good!! Leaving with that discussion between Rose and this shamed S Rank; her assuring him that he can still prove himself, while he agrees with her on the disgusting nature of slavers/buyers including the guildmaster, was a great moment and way to leave off this chapter.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, another great chapter, nicely done! :D

Image




User avatar
984 Reviews


Points: 267
Reviews: 984

Donate
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:30 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the possessed S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Rose fights enslavers, defends her crew from ridicule, and they all head off to fight the Guildmaster, or as Rose so elegantly called him “The Lolimaster”. :)

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think you meant to put a question mark in the end of “economy”, but if not, then ignore this.

Chocolate Bar - Wow. HAVE THEY LEARNED NOTHING?! Rose CANNOT be enslaved! It’s almost as if they don’t pay attention to the sheer amount of power she has…it’s hilarious, they’re ridiculous. I can’t wait for more of Rose fighting!

Closing Graham Cracker - Rose and the adventurers had shown them just what they’re messing with, and they continue on with their journey, ready to fight whatever comes their way!

I wish you a fantastic day/night! :>






Thanks %uD83D%uDE0A



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 760
Reviews: 11

Donate
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:39 pm
View Likes
Animist1 wrote a review...



Hello i am Animist1, Good morning, good afternoon or good evening, whatever time it is in your country or locale, i am here to drop a quick review. First of all, i am honoured to be the first to drop a review. Again some people don't learn, they still try to bully and slave Rose because oe her apearance, good thing she transformed into Catlin in the first place to teach people a lesson. And i can't wait to see the fight between the dragon and the demon, i am sure she could kill the demon with a single death blow, she has three according to her stats, it could have INCREASEDI am waiting for the realse of the next episode on wednesday Quick notice: please if i make any mistake, remember to notify me with a reply, thanks remember that i am waiting for the next episode on wednesday.





I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath