Hysteria-- Chapter 1 pt 2

by KaeRae88

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

As the sun hit my skin, I relaxed and thought about the day’s events. The new teacher for history,

Mr. Azazel, was kind of big news in our school. It was rare that teachers were fired, but our old

teacher apparently was found out to be an advocate for taking down the royals. It was considered

to be a crime punishable by death if anyone was found secretly hating any government officials. I

opened my eyes when I heard some voices in the distance. Usually no one dares come this close

to the wall. It’s considered to be bad luck amongst many people, but I rather like the quiet solitude.

Just me, and my thoughts. It was a group of guys around my age, probably daring one another to

go touch it so that they could be a part of whatever secret club they made. After school, boys and

girls who are uncured are allowed to mingle, but any long-term conversations are highly

discouraged. If you are seen with the same guy 2 days in a row, it is deemed dangerous because

one of them may develop an infatuation, which leads to sex. The royal family banned any sort of

intimate relationships between the non-cured, not just to control population, but scientists

discovered that it will only lead to loneliness, depression, and eventually suicide. The effects of not

being able to love are dangerous. I sit up and grab my bag. I can’t stay too long tonight because it

is my chore night. I usually finish everything Thursday night so I can spend Friday out late, but I

didn’t get it finish everything because my sister, Shayla called. She’s been cured for almost 2

years now and fell in love with a guy named Thomas. They moved out and got married not too

long after they were both cured. I trudge back down the narrow streets, trying to go as slowly as

possible. By the time I reach home, the air was just starting to have a slight chill to it. My mother

was in the kitchen doing the dishes when I walked in. “Leah! Dinner is already finished. You are

home too late again because I’ve almost got the dishes done.” She said in a stern pitchy voice. 

“I know, sorry, I stopped by the park again before I came home,” I replied. She rolled her eyes and

dried her hands on the towel that was laying over the oven handle. “Whatever. You can finish

dishes and then finish anything that is left on your list of things to do tonight. Don’t stay up too late

because tomorrow is a big day.” I nod curtly and start without any argument. I know its better to

not fight with my mother right now. Tomorrow is the day that the royal family invites any 15-year-

old that has been labeled as immune to Aneurohysteria. It is filmed for the public and all the

families in the city will be watching the choosing tomorrow. It doesn’t really interest me, but I know

if I say this to anyone, especially my mother, I could be labeled as an advocate for freedom. I

finish everything I need to do and head to bed. Sleep claims me fast.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:04 am
Bluepanther512 says...

I loved this! My only complaint is the (lack of) paragraph breaks. I would suggest you run your chapters through Grammarly or something similar if you don't know where to put paragraph breaks. Other than that, your word word choice is solid and nothing brings me out of my immersion through its constant repetition. Keep on going!

KaeRae88 says...

That%u2019s probably a good idea, I never thought of running it through grammarly. Thank you!

KaeRae88 says...

Moonlily wrote a review...

Hello Hello, I hope you dont mind me popping in for a second review I figured Since I did the First part I should do the second one. I am glad we got to see a bit more of the world in this I am getting a kind of Hunger Games meets certain parts of The Scythe series. Overall, I do enjoy it but like always I do have some nitpicks one that might be a little bit frustrating and the others are pretty stock craft-based/phrasing-type things.

starting off I feel the setting could do with some more details both sensory and general. I.e is the wall covered in dust is there grass how well kept is it? what does the inside of the MCS house look like what smells are there, stuff like that? It can make the world feel even more real and alive.

Secondly, I do like we get more info and I do know some will have to be point-blank told I feel there are also more immersive ways to get across. Perhaps the mc finds some wanted poster of the old teacher or the kids walking by are still talking about it. for the event maybe after the mother said that the big day is for the TV could play and we have a snippet giving us a run-down kind of like an ad for a show or news before big events in our world.

there are also a few phrases I would tweak, then I will give you the bit that will frustrate you.

"I can’t stay too long tonight because it is my chore night." I would change that to "I can’t stay too long tonight because it's still my night to do the chores. " If you want you can change Night to turn as well.

"not just to control population" I would change this to " not just to control
the population" or "not just as population control."

Okay, although I am glad you were open to us about the spacing it seems a bit extreme. I would keep them as normal paragraphs but make sure there's a gap between the paragraphs. For dialogue, it would also be treated like a paragraph and would be on its own with a space ( I am also well aware it could be the copy and paste being weird.)

It's a very interesting story my apologies if I come off as harsh.

Keep writing and remember to drink water.

KaeRae88 says...

Haha thank you for reviewing the second part! I%u2019ll definitely revise my sentences later I am just trying to get a rough draft down of what the plot will be about. I%u2019ll work on my spacing :)

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan