Water Strider

by Haridath

Introduction

In the murky depths of secrecy and shadow, where the ordinary meets the extraordinary, lies a secret organization known only by its cryptic codename: SIREN. In a world teeming with hidden dangers, SIREN operates as the first and last line of defence against the lurking terrors that threaten humanity’s very existence.

Established decades ago, shrouded in mystery and whispers, SIREN rose from the ashes of a time when Earth was host to the first alien society from the planet Solaria. Its inception was born out of necessity, a response to the growing threats that could arise, as now Earth acted as a primary alien transport hub of the galaxy. In a universe where the extraordinary intermingles with the mundane, SIREN became the silent guardian of the veil between worlds, ensuring that the truth remains hidden from the masses, protecting them from the unfathomable.

Like a shadow cast upon the moon, SIREN’s agents move in the periphery of society, their identities concealed beneath layers of clandestine operations. Each member of this elite society is handpicked for their exceptional skills, their unwavering loyalty, and their commitment to safeguarding the world from threats beyond imagination.

Rumored to operate from a labyrinthine headquarters, buried deep beneath the surface, SIREN’s technological prowess and vast network of informants grant it the ability to traverse the globe in the blink of an eye. With an arsenal of cutting-edge gadgets and technology, reminiscent of James Bond’s MI6 and the Men in Black’s eclectic array, SIREN stands at the forefront of covert warfare, ready to face the most insidious adversaries.

SIREN’s mandate is as extensive as it is daunting — protecting Earth from extraterrestrial forces, uncovering ancient artefacts with unimaginable powers, and

neutralizing covert organizations that seek to unravel the very fabric of reality. Their agents walk the fine line between heroism and anonymity, shouldering the burden of knowledge that would shatter the beliefs of the everyday world.

But within the hallowed halls of SIREN, the danger isn’t limited to external threats alone. Deep-rooted betrayals, classified secrets, and personal vendettas are shadows that lurk around every corner, threatening to undermine the very fabric of the organization.

As recruits, such as the young and unassuming Adam Taylor, are initiated into the world of SIREN, they are exposed to an existence they could never have fathomed. With the guidance of seasoned agents like Reginald, a loyal confidant in the vein of Q, Adam will embark on a journey that will challenge his very essence and force him to redefine the meaning of loyalty, duty, and the price of truth.

In a world where reality and fantasy collide, where the fate of humanity hinges on the courage of a select few, SIREN stands as the sentinel against the encroaching darkness. Its agents are bound by an unbreakable code — to protect, to se, and to end the world from the shadows that lurk just beyond the grasp of human comprehension. The stakes have never been higher, and the call for heroes has never been louder. The world needs SIREN, and SIREN needs its champions. The shadows await…

S.I.R.E.N

It was a routine, sunlit morning at the bustling Hypermarket, the Hypermarket sprawled before the Taylor family, a vast expanse of neatly arranged aisles. Mrs. Taylor expertly guided the shopping cart, weaving through the maze of shelves with practiced ease. Mr. Terry Taylor, intrigued by the hardware section, wandered off for a brief exploration.

The ambient hum of fluorescent lights illuminated the scene, casting a sterile glow on neatly organized rows of merchandise. Shelves, laden with everyday items, beckoned customers with promises of convenience. The background noise of conversation and rattling shopping carts created a mundane yet familiar soundtrack to the family’s shopping expedition.

Adam and Max, the Taylor boys, trailed behind their parents, occasionally pausing to inspect items of interest. In the midst of routine, the Hypermarket served as a practical arena for the family’s weekly shopping needs, devoid of extravagant descriptions or hyperbole. The everyday drama unfolded against the backdrop of mundane commerce, portraying the simplicity of a routine supermarket visit.

As Adam navigated the bustling aisles, a sudden collision interrupted his stride, he shot a glance at the source of the disturbance. A passerby, absorbed in his own world, had inadvertently bumped into Adam. With a polite “Excuse me,” Adam attempted to regain his balance, his eyes inadvertently drawn to a peculiar tattoo adorning the stranger’s triceps. The tattoo bore an intricate symbol resembling a coat of arms, its details etched with precision.

However, before Adam could delve into his thoughts and decipher the symbolism, the familiar voice of Mrs. Taylor echoed through the aisles. The call for assistance snapped him back to reality, redirecting his attention. The encounter, though brief, left a residue of curiosity in Adam’s mind. As the family continued their shopping, Adam’s focus inadvertently drifted towards an unusual display of a salmon. The seemingly dead fish’s seemed to be locked towards him. He tested this. He moved around the section and sure enough the eye followed his movements.

******

As the Taylor family idled at the red light, Adam looked around in search of something to break the monotony of the wait. License plates on the passing cars became his chosen subject, a simple diversion from the mundane. Amid the sea of ordinary plates, an anomaly surfaced — a car with the peculiar plate “51R3N.” It stood out, a brief departure from the usual numerical combinations.

In a fleeting moment, the peculiar plate vanished, reverting to the conventional numbers and letters of typical plates. Adam found himself grappling with the mystery of the moment. What was the meaning behind this brief diversion from the ordinary? It was a simple encounter, yet it left him pondering, weaving a thread of curiosity into the fabric of his routine. The license plate anomaly became a puzzle, a tiny ripple in the stream of everyday life, prompting Adam to contemplate the possibility of hidden stories behind even the most commonplace sights.

Hours later, as Adam lay in bed, his mind still preoccupied with the mysterious car and its strange number plate, he found himself jolted awake by a tingling sensation in his arm. Racing thoughts weaved a web of confusion, connecting the dots between the strange tattoo, the uncanny fish eye, the mysterious license plate “51R3N,” and the enigmatic “line that connected the signs.” Compelled by curiosity, he embarked on a nocturnal quest.

Navigating from his residence at Sunnyside Homes, Adam pedalled towards the city clock tower. He was so engrossed in his phone which showed the directions that he had lost his balance on his BMX. It sent him tumbling near a grand, aged wrought iron gate.

Adam had failed to spot the sturdy gate in time to decelerate, and he had to employ both the brakes and his feet to come to a halt. However, the bumpy gravel path had made him lose his balance, causing him to tumble over beside the immense, rusted gate. Rising to his feet, he gazed up at the venerable clock tower, a testament to the enduring passage of time, its history etched in its weathered stone.

Adam’s phone ended up partially under the gate. As he reached out to retrieve it, something astonishing happened. His knuckles meant to hit a solid obstacle, slid through the metal bars with surprising ease. The gate, once a real barrier, now felt like a ghostly illusion. Adam stood there, completely bewildered by the magical turn of events, trying to make sense of the gate that had become insubstantial before his eyes.

“Woah woah this is deep….”, Adam thought. “This is too much of a hallucination.”

Adam inched closer as the conflicting thoughts of, “This HAS to be real.”, and, “This CAN’T be real.”, raced around in his mind.

Adam felt a rush of adrenaline as he pushed his way through the apparently solid iron gate. He sort of braced for impact but it never happened. The gate was indeed nothing but a ghostly apparition. As he emerged on the other side, he was met with a sight that took his breath away.

Men and women dressed in impeccably tailored black suits bustled about, their every move calculated and precise. Sunglasses shielded their eyes, hiding any hint of emotion as they navigated the corridors with purpose. Each operative held high-tech gadgets in their gloved hands.

It was like stepping into a different dimension, the air was thick with a sense of urgency and purpose, and Adam couldn’t help but feel a little overwhelmed by it all.

“Hello, Mr Adam Taylor….”, a tall, broad-shouldered man beamed down at him.

“Doesn’t understand how such a creepy old clock tower can be so busy with people, eh?”, Adam noticed, he too was clad in a formal black suit.

“Uhm no actually I don’t… Mr uh…How di… did you know my name?”, he stammered.

“James. James Callahan, C7. Yes, it was I who had you bring yourself here.”

“Yes, Mr James, Uhh I… am at the clock tower but…ahem where am I?”

“No need for formality, you can call me James. Oh, and yes, you are at SIREN State Headquarters.”

“Siren?”

“Yes, S.I.R.E.N. Secret Intelligence and Rapid Enforcement Network. We specialize in national security and intelligence gathering. And we police and monitor alien or other extra-terrestrial activities here on Earth. And we have been watching you, Adam Taylor.”, James explained, his eyes fixed on Adam.

“Wait a minute, ALIEN?”

“Yes, Aliens. They do exist. They’re among us.”

“No, don’t worry most of them are our friends”, James added quickly noticing Adam’s face.

Most of them?”

“Yes there are some that are-”, James paused. He seemed to be searching for a suitable word. After a short pause, he continued.

“-are problematic.”

Adam was speechless, trying to take in everything that was happening. The coat of arms, the creepy eye at the stall, the Chrysler, SIREN, and the clock tower suddenly made sense. He realized that it was a test, a very elaborate one at that.

“So this, all that happened to me during this day, was a test? To see if I was capable of joining?”

“Yes, Adam. You are here because you have been selected as the first recruit for SIREN’s Kids Division, a new program designed to enhance our undercover investigations,” James explained. “We had a scout who chose only a select few children for our program.”

“Kids Division? But I am 14?”, Adam asked, slightly insulted.

“Age doesn’t matter, Adam. In fact, it’s an advantage in some situations. You’ll be trained in various skills, from surveillance to hand-to-hand combat, and you’ll be given the opportunity to work on real cases alongside our agents,” James explained. “We need someone like you, someone who can think outside the box and adapt to any situation. Plus: no one will expect a fourteen year old secret agent. So, are you interested?”

Adam hesitated for a moment, his mind racing with questions and doubts. But then, a sense of adventure and excitement took over. This was the opportunity of a lifetime. He looked up at James and nodded.

“The vintage look was a coverup. The tower was built in 1609 specifically for the newly founded SIREN organization to use as a base here. The interior was refurbished time and again as technology progressed.”, James explained. Adam listened intently as James explained the history of the clock tower. He couldn’t believe that such an old structure was now the base of an organization like SIREN.

“That’s incredible,” Adam said, “I had no idea.” James nodded.

“That’s the point, Adam. SIREN operates in secrecy, and our agents go to great lengths to remain undetected. We need people who can blend in and go unnoticed, and that’s where you come in.

Adam raised an eyebrow. “Me? Why me?”

“Your scouting report was very impressive,” James replied, “You have a natural ability to observe and analyse your surroundings, and you’re quick on your feet. Those are all valuable traits in our line of work.”

Adam felt a sense of pride wash over him. He had never considered himself particularly special, but it seemed that his unique skills had caught the attention of SIREN.

“So, what now?” Adam asked.

“Now, we’ll start your training,” James said, “We’ll teach you everything you need to know about espionage, intelligence gathering, and counter-intelligence. It won’t be easy, but I think you’re up for the challenge.”

They entered the building — or tower rather — through the tall oak front doors. The inside was a striking contrast to the outside. The walls were sleek, there were flying packages being delivered all around. Information was being displayed on thin air. “Those must be volumetric displays…”, Adam thought.

He wished he had 2 more pairs of eyes, so much was there to see. He turned his head every which way to gape and goggled at everything. There was every imaginable kind of creature there, along with humans.

A small little alien was talking to a stern woman about immigration rules and arms license… There was a tall gangly-looking one with googly eyes and smooth, blue skin waiting on chairs with what looked to be his… or her family.

Adam’s eyes darted around the bustling room, taking in the dizzying array of creatures that surrounded him. In one corner, he spotted a group of small, furry creatures chattering away in a high-pitched squeak and scratch he had never heard before. As he walked by, he caught the scent of something sweet and looked over to see a creature with iridescent wings hovering near a tray of pastries.

In another area, a group of reptilian creatures lounged on a sofa, discussing what sounded like the latest intergalactic news. And nearby, he saw a towering figure with a mass of tentacles instead of arms, tapping away on a glowing keyboard with incredible speed.

As he continued to look around, Adam realized that there were just as many different species as there were human beings in the room. Some were bipedal, while others had multiple legs or tails. Some had fur, while others had scales or feathers. And some had features that defied any known classification.

Amid this astounding variety of life forms that surrounded him, Adam couldn’t suppress his feelings of astonishment and fascination. His lifelong dream had been to venture into uncharted realms and encounter novel species, and here he was, situated within the epicentre of an interstellar nexus where such experiences were commonplace. His anticipation swelled at the prospect of discovering more marvels in the days that lay ahead.

There were boards here and there pointing towards toilets, waiting lounges, neuralising stations, info desks, etcetera. Everything looked so smooth, so futuristic, so sleek, so…

“Adam…. Hello… Earth to Adam Taylor….”, James’s calm voice seeped into his head.

“Oh yes, yes”, he shot back to his senses. Adam was so immersed in the new sights that he had lost sense of his surroundings.

“We are now approaching the gadgetry section.”, said James.

It was a large room filled with “who knows what” kinds of things.

An array of devices, which Adam would categorize as “phones,” spanned the spectrum of designs. They extended from the type he possessed, advancing to models featuring nothing more than a transparent pane of glass, all meticulously exhibited on stands. Nestled in a corner, he noticed what initially appeared to be diminutive, gleaming metal spheres, but their true nature was revealed upon careful examination. These were no ordinary spheres; they were miniature drones, masterpieces of miniaturization. The minuscule blades that enabled their flight were so delicately concealed that they were practically invisible to the naked eye. Next to them were tiny, high-tech cameras that could fit in the palm of one’s hand.

In another part of the room, Adam’s attention gravitated toward an array of suits that shared a striking resemblance with the outfits worn by superheroes from the pages of fiction.

The suits rested inside a sleek, glass display case that stood as a technological marvel in itself. The case was about six feet tall, with a shiny metal frame that outlined its edges. The surface of the glass was spotless, offering a crystal-clear view of the superhero-like suits within.

Soft LED lights embedded in the frame gently illuminated the suits, creating an otherworldly glow around them. The lights shifted in color, smoothly transitioning from cool blues to vibrant reds, adding an extra layer of sophistication to the display. The case was secured with a high-tech biometric lock, requiring a fingerprint scan and a retina scan for access. The lock panel, discreetly embedded in the frame, had a futuristic touchpad that responded with a soft hum when touched.

As Adam inched closer he noticed intricate circuit patterns subtly etched into the glass, giving it an almost ethereal quality. These circuits, while visually appealing, served a practical purpose by enhancing the security system. Tiny sensors were strategically placed on the surface, capable of detecting any unauthorized attempt to tamper with the case. At the base of the display case, a thin strip of LED lights traced the contours, creating a floating effect. The base itself was a minimalist design, crafted from a reflective material that seemed to merge with the floor seamlessly.

These suits were more than just garments; they epitomized technological wonders. Crafted from a flexible material, they concealed an assortment of advanced gadgets. Among them were multifunctional grappling hooks and night vision goggles, peering into the depths of darkness.

Besides these remarkable attires, Adam couldn’t help but be intrigued by an unusual assortment of weaponry, entirely unlike any arms he had previously encountered. One weapon, in particular, caught his eye — an elegant, ebony-hued blaster constructed from an advanced polymer. James went on to clarify its purpose, revealing that it was a meticulously engineered stun blaster, designed to incapacitate opponents without inflicting lasting harm.

Their exploration within the room unearthed even more remarkable finds. Adam observed a device reminiscent of a jetpack, a contraption bearing an uncanny resemblance to a time machine.

The sheer array of these technological marvels left Adam in profound amazement, unveiling a panorama of possibilities that eclipsed even his most extravagant daydreams.

“That’s amazing,” Adam said, barely able to contain his excitement.

“Yes, it is,” James replied with a smile. “But remember, these gadgets are only tools. They can only take you so far. In the end, it’s your skills and abilities that matter the most.”

“Satellite communicators-”, James said, once they started moving again. “SIREN has launched many different kinds of special agency satellites and telescopes into low earth orbit, unknown to the public of course.”

There were “Wrist communicators” and “Smart suits” that monitored one’s vitals and had bullet-proofing capabilities. They went to the vehicles department too.

Adam and James walked towards the vehicles department, where they saw an array of futuristic vehicles on display. There were sleek sports cars that looked like they were straight out of a sci-fi movie, hoverbikes, and even flying cars. Adam was amazed by the advanced technology used in these vehicles, and he could only imagine how they would perform on the road.

Some vehicles looked like they were designed for underwater exploration, equipped with advanced sonar and underwater propulsion systems. James explained that they were used by SIREN for covert operations that involved underwater surveillance or extraction.

“Hey! isn’t that the car from one of the James Bond movies?”

It was a Lotus Esprit ‘S1’.

It had a low-slung, aerodynamic body that gave it a futuristic and timeless appeal. The exterior featured smooth, curvaceous lines that flowed seamlessly from the front to the back, and a wedge-shaped fibreglass body mounted on a steel backbone chassis. The car sat close to the ground, and at the front, it had pop-up headlights that were integrated into the design.

The cabin was snug and driver-focused, with a low-profile windshield that enhanced the car’s dynamic appearance. The side profile had air intakes and vents placed to optimize aerodynamics. The wheels were large and stylish, adding a touch of performance to the overall aesthetic.

At the rear, the Lotus Esprit had a distinctive design with a spoiler that enhanced its sporty character. The rear lights were sleek and horizontally oriented.

“We had to rent it to the MI6”, James said, with a cough, as Adam had done admiring the car.

“What do you mean MI6, is James bond an actual agent?”, Adam asked, perplexed.

“NO no Bond is a fictional character.”, James said quickly. “During one of their missions, the car was spotted by the producer of the film. He insisted on having the same one in the film.”

“All SIREN licensed vehicles are black to avoid the prying eyes of the common world. The colour can be changed on the fly for different circumstances but by default they are black.”, James answered Adam’s raised eyebrow.

“Will I get a car on a mission or something?”, Adam asked hopefully.

“We’ll stick with your BMX for now”, James replied. There was a fleeting impression of a smile on James’s face. But just as they were nearing the exit, James stiffened up again.

“Adam promise me one thing…”

“What?”

“Swear that you will not disclose any of the things you have seen or heard today to ANYONE except for official mission-related matters. This is a top-secret organization, if news leaks, we could endanger the public.”

“Why the big secret?”, asked Adam out of sudden curiosity. “People are smart. They can handle it right?”

“A person is smart, Adam.”, James corrected Adam. “People are, for the lack of a better word, dumb. They are panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the centre of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and half an hour ago, you would bet that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you’ll know tomorrow.”

“Fair point”, Adam agreed. “Ok… so what’s the catch?”, he asked.

“The catch? The catch is that you should not reveal the details and whereabouts of this organisation to anyone. You only do it if it is the LAST option and or for mission-related purposes. Swear that you will not reveal the secret of SIREN.”

Adam stood in silence and thought for a while, and then he said, “I SWEAR.”

“Then I welcome you, Agent A, to His Majesty’s Secret Service.!”

“So”, James started again. “See you tomorrow for training, then.”

Adam’s mind was still racing with all the new information he had absorbed during his visit to SIREN. He felt like he had just scratched the surface of a whole new world, and he couldn’t stop thinking about the gadgets, weapons, and super-suits he had seen. When he finally returned home, he was exhausted but too wired to sleep. He lay in bed for what felt like hours, his thoughts whirring around like a swarm of bees.

Eventually, he managed to drift off into a restless slumber, but it was short-lived. The next thing he knew, he was jolted awake by his mum’s voice calling from downstairs. He rubbed his bleary eyes and stumbled out of bed, feeling like he had only just closed his eyes. As he made his way down the stairs, he couldn’t help but feel like he had stepped into a different world and that nothing would ever be the same again.

“Woah, somebody did not have a good night’s rest…”, Mrs Taylor remarked when he came down the stairs.

“I had a headache Mum”, Adam lied.

“Oh no honey, do you want me to apply some balm to your forehead?”

“No no no uhh…it’s fine now thank you, mum… it’s no problem…really”

“Adam is something bothering you?”, she asked suddenly.

“How did she know!?”, thought Adam. But instead he said, “nothing mom, I’m ok.”

Suddenly he saw his younger brother bounding down the stairs towards them. Adam Taylor’s 10 year old brother, had a round and chubby face that always looked playful and mischievous. His nose turns up a bit, giving him a funny look, and his eyes are close together, making him seem even more mischievous. Max’s eyebrows are thin, which made him look the least bit intimidating even though he always try to deny it.

“NOBODY every checks if there’s anything wrong with me!”, Max screamed.

“We’ll is there?”, Adam snapped.

“No, but— ”

“My point exactly.”

“Come on. NOT FAIR, that was a trick question!”

Adam was about to head out the front door.

“Wait for me”, Max screamed again. “I’m coming too.”

“Coming where?”, Adam asked.

“To the park, right?”

“No no… Uhh”, Adam said slowly. Thinking up excuses in his mind. “If Max catches the whiff of anything suspicious, he might snitch to Mom and Dad.”, he thought.

“Just to the clock tower” Adam blurted out.

“Clock tower?” came his brother’s high-pitched voice. “Why?”

A perfect excuse flew into his head just in time.

“Uhh uhh to go to the… I MEAN, doing research for my Holiday homework. It’s about the clock tower, the oldest building in Britain.”

“Nice save”, he thought to himself.

“Why do you have to study all the time”, Max whined.

He hated studies, or anything related to it. He left Adam alone and went to his room.

He drew a deep breath to try and recover from that long moment of tension. “Ok.”, Adam said to Himself. “Dad’s in the basement fixing the washing machine, Mum’s cooking, and Max is in his room. Now I am safe to go.”

He jumped on his trusty BMX. It was a Spartan 20" Exploit in a cool matte grey. It had a reinforced frame and front and rear alloy caliper V brakes for some serious riding action. Perfect for cruising the streets, tearing up the dirt, or owning the parks. His dad had it custom made for his birthday.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 am
TOPAWG wrote a review...

I enjoyed reading Adam's character, though am sorta peeved he didn't at least fight back when he was getting kidnapped lol. I don't typical do long reads but this caught my attention, though, some elements of the plot may feel overly convoluted, with numerous coincidences and elaborate tests leading to Adam's recruitment. Avoid this by focusing on establishing a clear cause-and-effect chain for major events. Also, Grammarly can help with the grammatical errors <3

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 am
Bluepanther512 wrote a review...

Alright, your entry both has a lot of good, and some bad.

First, the good:

1. The allusions flow naturally.
2. You characterize Adam and James well. I'm left with little room to wonder about how their characters are meant to be portrayed.
3. Your writing sets up quite a few Chekof's Guns pretty early on that can be built up, then fired later. There's a good chance that you set up a Chekof's Gunman as well.
4. The car that Bond's is based on leaves some questions as to if it has similar augmentations.

Now, the bad:

1. Your grammar could do some work. Grammarly might do you a service.
2. The infodump at the start doesn't work. Given that you reiterate many things you state there later on in the chapter, it would make more sense to weave it into the chapter instead.
3. Lastly, Adam pretty much gets kidnapped and does next to nothing to resist at all.

Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg