z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Year Of Reflections

by EllieMae, AmayaStatham


Text Version:

Summer feels like a breath of fresh air,

Like a kiss of the sun on your cheek,

The warmth reminds me of how much you used to love me,

The yellow dress you bought, still hangs in my wardrobe.

Spring makes me feel like I am alive again,

Living like the blossoms on cherry trees,

Once again, I feel capable of growth,

I'm proud that I'm not going to be a rotten fruit.

Fall reminds me of my imperfections and inadequacies,

Losing leaves like the trees around me do,

I begin to feel bare and I can no longer hide from my mistakes,

I feel like crying, but I try to see it like the beginning of a new start.

Winter shows me that I will always have another chance,

To be better than I was yesterday,

And to forgive the girl I used to be,

To move forward with my head held high.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 3649
Reviews: 46

Donate
Sun May 05, 2024 3:03 am
Moonlily wrote a review...



Hello Hello, I hope you dont mind me popping in with a quick review. Props to both of you for creating a very honest and reflective piece. By the way, your voices blend together really well ( it can be a tricky balance for sure. ) Forgive me if this is kind of a short review as I did enjoy it a lot so I can't really go that in-depth for feedback.

Before I start with the two lines I would slightly tweak I have to say I also love the use of comparison to seasons. I kind of wish it was pushed a bit further since nature and change can evoke a lot of powerful imagery. You could have tons of fun with it perhaps something to keep in mind for a future collab.

Okay okay, On to the tweaks I would make to some of the lines. This is going to be super small and simple so stick with me with me here.
Starting with this line, "Spring makes me feel like I am alive again," Do keep in mind this could just be me but I feel you could cut the clutter and get the same effect " Spring makes me feel alive again"

Secondly, this one is just me messing around with phrasing. "I begin to feel bare and I can no longer hide from my mistakes," perhaps you could tap into the wilting tree metaphor with a bit of rewording." I begin to feel bare unable to shed my mistakes."

All and All these are just my musings good job you two. Keep writing and drink water!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 705
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am
TOPAWG wrote a review...



A newbie reviewer so take lightly!! <3

I loved how beautiful this poem was following the cycle of seasons as a metaphor for personal growth and emotional experiences. The imagery throughout the poem is vivid and evocative, painting a picture of nature's cycles mirroring the ups and downs of human experience. From the warmth of summer to the bare vulnerability of fall, the reader is taken on a poignant journey of introspection and self-discovery.

The use of poetic devices such as metaphor, simile, and imagery enrich the text, adding depth and emotional resonance to the themes explored.

A little nitpicks:
Clichés: Some phrases, such as "breath of fresh air" and "head held high," are clichéd and lack freshness. Replacing these with more original language could elevate the poem's imagery and emotional resonance.

Lack of Specificity: While the poem evokes powerful emotions, it could benefit from more specific details or anecdotes to anchor the reader's experience. Adding concrete imagery or personal anecdotes could make the poem more relatable and immersive.




Random avatar

Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 am
View Likes
Gardenias says...



Winter shows me that I will always have another chance,

To be better than I was yesterday,

And to forgive the girl I used to be,
To move forward with my head held high

It is very meaningful to read and has its own unique characteristics. However, #FFFFFF ">quordle enjoyment still depends on each person's personal preferences.



Random avatar
Gardenias says...


thank you



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 8225
Reviews: 46

Donate
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 am
View Likes
22Midnight wrote a review...



Hi names 22Midnight
hope your doing well, let's get into it!

First Impression: I like the title for this, looking forward to seeing what that might mean, from my guesses from just looking at the title, there might be something enveloping a persons growth threw a time where they were in a lot of pain and then moved past it and ended up being stronger on the other side.

Summer feels like a breath of fresh air,

Like a kiss of the sun on your cheek,

The warmth reminds me of how much you used to love me,

The yellow dress you bought, still hangs in my wardrobe.


this is so lovely, the classic lovely yellow dress that you wear to the beach on a pretty summers day.

Spring makes me feel like I am alive again,

Living like the blossoms on cherry trees,

Once again, I feel capable of growth,

I'm proud that I'm not going to be a rotten fruit.


I love the meaning that your giving all the different seasons that's really special, it's something that's really pulling me into read further.

Fall reminds me of my imperfections and inadequacies,

Losing leaves like the trees around me do,

I begin to feel bare and I can no longer hide from my mistakes,

I feel like crying, but I try to see it like the beginning of a new start.


this is sad but really sweet and it shows a persons hard work to grow as a better person and to fix there mistakes and except them.

Winter shows me that I will always have another chance,

To be better than I was yesterday,

And to forgive the girl I used to be,

To move forward with my head held high.


this second to last line really stood out to me because it feels like your almost talking to your younger self that kept making mistakes and saying it's okay to make mistakes it happens and you where young.

Overall: this was a lovely poem that I really enjoyed reading, i am so loving seeing the collaborated poems on YWS at the moment because it's amazing how wonderful your writing is when you write together with someone else, truly a gift that I hope will continue to be used.

anyway that's it from me

hope you have a great dawn/dusk/midnight

See Ya




User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 29221
Reviews: 863

Donate
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 am
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hey y'all,

I'm rusty at reviews. Take with a grain of salt.

The motif of the seasons is well-used, but not unwelcome-- it's easy to connect to, as everyone experiences the wheel of the year in one way or another. I like how y'all used the seasons as a way to illustrate the feelings described in each stanza.

My favorite stanza was the first. It also contained my favorite line:

The yellow dress you bought, still hangs in my wardrobe.

Apart from the misplaced comma in the middle, this line really brought me into the world of the poet[s]. I craved more of this story, but unfortunately, through the rest of the poem, there is no hint of that story. I wanted more of that-- even if the rest of the emotions throughout the rest of the poem connect to the "you" in the poem, the writing does nothing to suggest that.

If you are going to write another draft, I suggest expanding on that story. I want more of it-- what is this lost love with the yellow dress? Did you spend a year together? What if each season reflected on a season of love? The rush of first love, the mellowing, the growing apart? You can also use this opportunity to use the seasons in unexpected ways. Spring is often used as a motif for new love, but what if love started at the wrong time? What if love started in fall, when the rest of the world is going to sleep? Does that give the love a doomed quality because of the "wrong time" theme? Just some questions to get you thinking for a second draft.

The other thing I will mention about this poem is about how wordy it feels. When you use phrases like "I try" and "I feel like," it adds a barrier between poet and audience because you're telling the audience. I'm always a fan of metaphor over simile. Let's use an example:
I feel like crying, but I try to see it like the beginning of a new start.

By changing this around a little, we can get the same meaning, but a more solid statement and something that gives a stronger image.
A lump forms in my throat, but this is my new beginning.

If we want to go even further, you can add some fall imagery or death imagery into that line as well.
A lump forms in my throat, but the old leaves must fall to make room for new.
[/quote][/quote]
By changing the wording, you can make a stronger image and reinforce your meaning. I recommend when you write your second draft that you look at all the instances of "I" in your poem and see if you can change what's going on around them.

I think your choice to put the seasons out of order was a bold one; I'm not sure it works here because only spring and summer are switched. If you want to do that, put them all willy nilly out of order. Or find a new order that makes sense. If you're going to make a choice like that, it's better to look like you fully committed.

Overall, I think this is pretty good! I like the motif, and I like some of the images you used. For your next draft, try expanding on the human element among the natural ones, and use firmer wording to get your point across. Hope this was helpful! Adios!




User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 33861
Reviews: 170

Donate
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:03 pm
View Likes
Rose says...



AHH this so beautiful!! I love it <33





An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug