Outlier

by cookiesandcream123

Warm light on linoleum floors

And candied sweets resting on paper plates

The blending of voices and movement of cloth

A tightly-knit community, composed of music notes and warmth

.

Acceptance and the courage to whoop and scream

In the lunchroom of a school building

as evening sets

Multicolored ribbons spinning 'round metal pillars

Sweet peacefulness where I'll never belong

.

Bittersweet peacefulness

Because I don't truly know anyone 

Or because it's been far too long

since i made my voice matter,

since i put my voice to thoughts,

since i even knew myself?

Bittersweet peacefulness

because it's been far too long

since i felt this person

deserved to belong

Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:50 am
AkuRashomon wrote a review...

hello, this is AkuRashomon and I am here to give you a review/comment for your piece.

Warm light on linoleum floors

I love how your poem stars with a calming atmosphere. The descriptive words make me imagine what is said. The color I can see with this part is a warm orange sunset with a soulful sounding beat of melody.

In the lunchroom of a school building

as evening sets

As the poem progresses, you can feel the loneliness and the sadness of the narrator's tone. The atmosphere may be comforting but it has a sad tone to it. I can imagine a young teenager sitting on the stairway at school, looking like a complete individual to the rest of the school. The school may be a sunset orange but the narrator is a black individual. If you are seeing what the narrator is seeing, it is all a majestic blur.

Bittersweet peacefulness

Because I don't truly know anyone

Or because it's been far too long

since i made my voice matter,

since i put my voice to thoughts,

since i even knew myself?

Bittersweet peacefulness

because it's been far too long

since i felt this person

deserved to belong

"Bittersweet peacefulness". Periodt. That line is so good. It is the thing that can describe the feeling of the narrator and the atmosphere of the poem. Being a student who is an outsider feels bittersweet bliss in school. The world is beautiful but at what cost? This is really sad.....I can relate. Anyway, i would love to see you use punctuation more in this poem to enhance more emotion to it. Overall, it is a well-written and wonderful piece. Just add more punctuation to add more feeling when your readers read it. :D

P.S. If you felt this, I feel you and I feel bad. When people are lost, they will eventually find their way back to where they belong.

- AkuRashomon

Tysm for the review, Aku! Those are some really insightful things you just said, and I really enjoyed hearing your take on the poem's imagery.
And yea, seems like I totally forget about punctuation in poems lol T_T ty for the feedback!

AkuRashomon says...

You're welcome pookie! (it rhymes with cookie^^)

Moonlily wrote a review...

Hello Hello I hope you dont mind me popping in with a short review. I will apologize if it isn't as in-depth as my normal ones. Please don't take that as your being bad I can sense the feeling you're conveying and it is a very relatable one. Not feeling you like belong is something most/ everyone goes through.

If I had to give some feedback it would be very nitpicky. I feel you could elevate those feelings by pairing the environment in the first stanza with your feelings. for example something like:

" because it's been far too long
since i made my voice matter,
Amongst the blending of voices and movement of cloth"

You by far don't have to it is fine just as it is, however, it might help really portray that feeling of being lonely in a full room.

Regardless Keep it up you matter and drink water!

Tysm for the review! <3

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet