this is your inheritance

by alliyah

this is your inheritance; do not dare leave this world with field-rocks in your pockets. plant your heart in every field, until the whole earth is bound in the roots of your veins. and when they steal that - we will steal the sky.

1. the only remaining-record for my great great grandmother's life is a short court document that states; 'the land stolen will never be her own' - life is not in the practice of giving back what it takes, and land has a way of becoming blood, and human flesh has a way of dying before we learn these things or realize we can fly. it is enough for me to know she tried, i will not tie her feathers to bitterness, i will not try to steal away soil in my shoes, or my hands, or my pockets, i will plant my garden in her honor and whisper to every straining tomato plant and geranium flower, 'this too is yours.'

2. the land killed my great grandfather before he was old enough to be old; though his skin was already weathered down in grooves of worry-lines, dynamite powder, and coal dust; and i always wonder if they were able to clean his fingernails before they buried him for the last time. if i saw him somewhere today, i would take out my nail-file and a bar of soap and a basin of well-water, and i would wash his hands until the grooves ran smooth. i would show him pictures of his son's and grandson's wrinkled faces, i would tell him they lived. i think of him when the soil clings to my own hands, and i promise him i will not track in soil in my home, even when nostalgia threatens to bury me too.

3. my grandfather farmed his whole life, with his whole life. one sun-baked plot of land split clean to seven brothers. some years the harvest was good, some years the seeds became rocks and gravel, and his daughters wandered the field harvesting stones. in the end it wasn't the sun that overturned the land inside out, it was the flood-waters. i never take rain for granted because of him. every drop in my cup, every river-bed, every sweat-soaked brow, i hear him saying 'the rain's coming strong tonight' - and i nod and believe i too am a prophet, and i warn my unborn children to not keep the field-stones in their pockets, in case the flood comes, in case the ground breaks, in case the land is stolen away - we will be light on our feet, when it is time to leave this earth, we will fly.

Stickied -- Wed May 01, 2024 9:54 pm
alliyah says...

Author's Note:
Thank you so much for taking the time to read!

This poem is formatted in the form of a "list poem" - meaning that the line breaks (or lack thereof) are intentional. Capitalization is also intentional.

The poem is part of my in-progress "heritage" poetry collection about my ancestry research and based off of three of my real life ancestors... My great great grandmother, who attempted to use the court system to get back land that she believed was taken from her, and lost. My great grandfather, who worked in the coal-mines. And my grandfather, who was a farmer. So here are some reflections about how these generational ties to the land are passed on and inherited.

Happy reading!

Tue May 07, 2024 3:46 am
Moonlily wrote a review...

Hello Hello, I hope you dont mind me poping with a quick ( really short and not as in-depth as my usual ones) review. I do enjoy the general themes being played with and the fact you go for a non-traditional poetic format. The idea of the land both being a social and physical inheritance is a very interesting one that I feel could be expanded on yet is tied together well here.

The biggest thing I have to give feedback on is the use of and many times in the same sentence. To me, it reads as a bit clunky and awkward However I do not have a solid rephrase for all of them.

Just to get my point across I will use this line as a rough example. "i would take out my nail-file and a bar of soap and a basin of well-water, and i would wash his hands until the grooves ran smooth." Could perhaps be changed to " i would take out my nail-file, a bar of soap and a basin of well-water, i would wash his hands until the grooves ran smooth." It's not perfect but might be a little less clunky in my view.
Oh, I would also maybe get rid of the and in this line." and when they steal that - we will steal the sky." I feel using when could give the same vibe well being a bit more direct. ( If this makes no sense I am a bit tired forgive me.)

All in all a very interesting read keep it and drink water!

alliyah says...

Repeating conjunctions for list-emphasis is one of my main poetic conventions / styles; I actually wrote a whole NaPo thread last year about the conjunction "and" so I'll have to keep that! :)

'Hush, hush!' I whispered; 'people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it; only they needn't keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights