I understand now,
That I will never be done
Changing.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:35 am
LemonyIce says...

'Ello Hamingway~

I'll start off right away. I loved your poem. I could totally relate to it. I do have a few critiques.(don't we always? *sigh*)

Firstly, you need to correct your punctuation. I've marked punctuation in bold and other stuff in italics.

I am searching,
Constantly changing,
In pursuit, of who I am.
Where do I fit?
What’s What is my purpose?

So here, you need to add "do" in the fourth line. Also, the fifth line seemed to interrupt the flow of the stanza, so I thought changing it to "What is" instead of "What's" would be better.

I am searching,
For what I know not I know not what,
But searching I am.
My time will come,
Sooner or later,
Or so I hope.

In this stanza, the second line sounds better if you say "For I know not what." if you want to use just those specific words. And I thought you could add a line before the last because when I read it, it felt like something was missing there. Then again, you're the one who wrote it and you can leave it if you don't like it.

I am searching,
My patience is fading.
Bright paths turn dark and taper off,
An empty feeling fills my chest.
I had time,
Or so they said.
Judgement’s here,
Decisions must are made.

Here, the last line is grammatically incorrect. It can either be Decisions must be made. OR Decisions are made. depending on what you're trying to say.

Did I settle?
Time will tell.

I was searching,
For a purpose,
who I was and what I’d be. (I moved this to the next line.)
I’m still not done,
Nor will I ever be.
I understand now,
That I will never be done,
Changing.

Overall, the poem was really good. Especially the end. It actually summed up the whole concept of the poem. I enjoyed reading it. :D Great poem!

~HPR~
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 pm
murtuza says...

Hey there, Hamingway!

A slight philosophical poem with a context concerning the subject if inevitable change. Some people appreciate it, while others don't want to forget their past selves. Despite it all, ironically change is always the only constant factor that is present in life. And you've done a decent effort in portraying your thoughts about this most suspicious occurance.

Hermydear above me has very neatly and precisely pointed out the uncertainties of this poem and she's done a great job of it. You've done a lot of answer-seeking throughout the poem and the persona seems like a helpless person bound by the chains of change. I can feel the sentiments and do empathize with the narrator. So you've done an alright job in playing out the character's part.

One thing I'd like to bring to your attention would be poetic verse. Quite frankly, a poem's structure and line scheme and every other detail are bound by only the poet's will. There are set methods and rules for those who would like to be to-the-book.
But forming your own style and keeping it unique is what makes a great poet. Why I'm saying all this is because in parts of your poem, you've made a few lines short and long alternatively and there wasn't much of a steady pace that contributed towards the flow of the poem. While all of this isn't much of an issue, it strikes a bit of a confusion when I read an almost elliptical usage of a line followed by a line written in great detail. The two lines thus sound quite dissimilar and it's like I'm reading a line from two separate poems.
But still, it isn't something of a great issue but just needs to be kept in mind in case you ever find yourself in need of personal writing improvement.

You've definitely got potential. Keep the ink flowing always. And don't stop.

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

My existence is political. And love is my statement.
— Kevin Abstract