z

Young Writers Society

Chips

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 pm
StellaThomas says...

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, putting it up on my blog directly...

Chips

The taste of the seaside still on your lips.
The crinkling brown bag,
That oldest of family traditions.
The takeaway.
In good old national fashion,
Proper potatoes, yellow and bitter,
With far too much vinegar,
That’s all sank to the bottom, and leaves
Big grease marks,
Only stopped by a wad of napkins between your fingers.
The roar of the sea,
The look out to Wales,
And wishing suddenly,
To do it all over again.
The whole thing.
And end it once again with
That oldest of family traditions,
The crinkling brown bag,
And the taste of the seaside still on your lips.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:41 am
bethanyoverload says...

Heh Heh. I can taist them! I really think its cool that you decided to write about food.
"Poetry is like the sun, as it is writen down it only becomes more beautiful",as said by shooting-star

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:47 am
mirandamaddness says...

This is so cute. No bad things show up to me. And now I want potato chips! *laughs*
*The Self Proclaimed Queen of The Maddness Minions*
GOT YWS? (cause I sure do)
"Everyone has a song that tells about themselves, but I have an entire soundtrack."
~Anonymous

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:37 am
bubblewrapped says...

Welcome to YWS!

To be perfectly frank, this poem was hard to read. Two things they don't teach you in school, aside from the fact that poetry doesn't have to rhyme: it works better with punctuation, and that doesn't necessarily involve merely putting commas in every other line or starting each new line with a capital letter.

Suggestion: lose the capitals (except at the beginning of new sentences, just like with prose). And think about your punctuation a bit more. From what I can see, your commas are kind of random. If you wouldn't put a comma there in a sentence, don't put it at the end of the line in poetry. Oh yes, and watch your grammar!

Regarding the contents of the poem itself, I absolutely loved "The taste of the seaside still on your lips," but I feel it deteriorated rather rapidly after that. You have all these fascinating images and ideas - brown paper bags, family traditions, grease, the seaside - but as yet they're all jumbled together and don't really form a coherent picture. Try restructuring, and this time take those pieces and fit them together so they tell more of a story. Your reader won't always have the luxury of running off to your blog to understand what you're trying to say, and a good poem should stand on its own.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
~bubbles
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:22 am
ScarlettFire says...

Hey Stells. I'm here to review. ^^

You know, this is kinda cute. And here in Australia we have that kind of tradition so I definitely know the feeling. ^^ And it's a lovely feeling, too. I like how you begin and end with pretty much the same line. *loffs* I think it's an awesome one, too. *chuckles*

Okay, on to nitpicking and such. The flow is brilliant and so is the rythym and the imagery. I love the imagery! It reminds me of going to the beach with my family or even my friends! And that's a good thing, too. Ah, nostalgia. *sighs* Okay...nitpicks. None, as far as I can see. So, sadly, I'm no help there.

Overall, Stells, you have a brilliant poem here. *clicks like* I adore it. It's so cute! ^^ *chuckles* Anyhow. It's perfectly fine how it is, and I love it to bits. XD Thank you for the beautiful and brilliant poetry, Stells! Keep it up adn never stop writing!

~Scar.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:13 pm
Deanie says...

Hi Stella!

I find it so awesome that you wrote about food! Especially chips. The way you wrote it left me drooling for the Christmas Holidays so I can go back to England and have proper fish and chips! (which you can't get where I am from).

The poem was well written and very interesting. There is one line I don't like:

StellaThomas wrote:The taste of the seaside still on your lips.

It's a very good starting line but why would chips taste like the seaside?

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief