Cringing, gasping, I bleed.
choking, whispering, I drown,
Darkness is an illusion,
it fades away,
Daylight does not fade,
it bursts, blooms, springs,
laughing, singing, I smile.
I joyfully awaken.
Last edited by Paracosm on Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun May 22, 2011 12:02 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Why hello there! This is a pretty good early attempt at poetry, though you've fallen into a few common pit falls. First, the grammar. Now some poems do capitalise every letter of every first line, but that's more commonly found in older poetry and is better suited to the formatted styles such as sonnets where it is very forgiveable. In modern poetry, however, you should punctuate almost as you would prose, only capitalising for extra affect. You also might want to use some enjambement which is where you end a line without a comma or fullstop. It's useful for dramatic effect but also just to give your reader a break from all that punctuation.

Here's a few more specific comments:

Title: I'm not sure that it's interesting enough and to be honest it's a little too obvious, a little too clear. Maybe 'Fatality' would generate more interest?

Cringing, gasping, I bleed, [Perhaps end with a full stop here? Or enjambement would reflect the flow of blood. Either way, choose your punctuation decisively.]
Choking, whispering, I drown, [Avoid using so many verbs, poetry is about the flow and this makes it a little stagnant. It's better to choose one really strong verb than two or three that are going to fight for your reader's attention.]
Darkness is an illusion,
It fades away,
Daylight does not fade, [Good, there's a nicely constructive movement through your poem. I like the flow from darkness to daylight.]
It bursts, blooms, springs,
Laughing, singing, I smile,
I joyfully awaken.

Overall, as I said, it's not bad. Your content would benefit from being more lively and some similes or metaphors would be nice but keep working on it, that's the best way to get better. Also, read a good variety of poetry and you'll soon pick up a few ideas on how they're put together and what different forms they can take.

I hope this helps you a little, and feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions about this poem, or poetry in general. Good luck with the future writing!

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Random avatar

Reviews: 313
Sun May 22, 2011 2:49 pm
View Likes
TylynRae says...

Hey there =] For a first attempt, this was pretty good and I think Kitty caught you on most of the mistakes that I found. The capitalization thing is a little bit of a preference, I think. But it definitely is old school. This poem was short, and to the point. Had it been a little bit longer, going more in depth, I think it would have been a lot better though, not that it wasn't good in the first place. So, overall, a descent first poem =]
TylynTyrannosaurus<3 (tydecker777)

Reviews: 2
Mon May 23, 2011 2:21 am
View Likes
AnonymousAnarchist says...

It was really good bu a little to short I think that it could be much better if you added some more to it. Even though I thought that it was way to short I thought that it was very good an I think that you are a good writer keep writing

Reviews: 4
Sat May 28, 2011 1:49 pm
View Likes
Kuyoko says...

Hellooo!
As others have said, this is a really good first attempt at poetry, for it isn't really easy to write poems. This one is just a bit too short and just a tad confusing, but I like it nonetheless. Keep writing, though!! :3
You need to learn how to laugh at yourself.
Or you'll never make it in this world.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 pm
View Likes
sunxkissedxme says...

Like the people before me, this is a great first try. Kitty caught all of the mistakes I caught, but I liked it all and all. Good job! :)
So many people treat you like you’re a kid
so you might as well act like one,
and throw your television
out of a hotel window.
–Gerard Way

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:46 pm
View Likes
AspieMouse says...

I agree, this was a very good first try!

Keep it up! I'd love to see more!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 am
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

u thnk it's a good 1st try, but you could still use some wrk
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 am
View Likes
cammie says...

That's awesome! i love this poem... because i started to read it and then i was thinking of how scary and gloomy it was. gradually it got more bright and i was releived. At first i was confused when it started to switch and then i realized that it was part of the feel of the peom so all in all i really liked it and i think it is great! the only thing i would change maybe is have the title capture the entire poem. right now it only shows the beginning half of it... so maybe something nuetral, or something that shows both happy and sad emotions.
thanks for reading!
Cammie
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to persue them" -Walt Disney
:-)

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:12 pm
View Likes
MamaLama95 says...

This poem has a beautiful image of rejuvenation I think; however, you should revise your use of punctuation and grammar. Exempt from those details, it's a nice idea.
Being children of a cruel reality, we fall prey to the greater powers.
To envy.
To madness.
Betrayal.
Love.
And yet without these things, we cannot remain human. Without these things, we are nothing.
But it is the greatest sacrifice. To envy. To be mad. To betray. To love.
To be human.

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 pm
View Likes
qaralynn says...

d'awww this poem is niceee!! It starts all dark and then the sudden twist and it ends all happy! Love it! And I know I'm not being helpful at all right now but I just wanted to say that lol XD You are so going to win me lol XD
"If they can't be with you at your worst, then they don't deserve to be with you at your best."
-Murtuza-

"Even though a ship won't sink at sea, it needs to be steered to get home."

You have light and peace inside you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.
— Uncle Iroh, Avatar the Last Airbender