2%
Other
7%

Total votes : 46

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:00 pm
Nate says...

So... where is everyone from? I know I could just check the memberlist, and I do, but this is far more interesting (and maybe it might spur some discussion on which country is better ;)).

Anyways, I'm from the Washington DC Area (specifically Bethesda, MD) in the United States. However, I'm going to college about two hours away from there in Southern MD. Before I lived in Bethesda, though, I lived in Groton, Connecticut for three years in Naval Housing (my dad was in the Navy) and lived in Virginia Beach, Virginia for five years before that. But, I was born in Idaho, where my dad was working at a Navy base (nuclear research).

But, the place I want to move to is Cairns, Australia. Four years ago, I saved up enough money to go on a wilderness adventure tour in Australia, and we used a trailer park in Cairns as our base camp (we stayed in tents). I probably spent about a week total in Cairns, and loved it. I went to Sydney too, but it was too much like Washington DC, and I don't desire to move from the Washington area to just live in another Washington-like area. Although, I only spent two days in Sydney (both cloudy even though it has sometime like 360 days of sunshine per year!), so my perception of it may be wrong.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:12 pm
Firestarter says...

United Kingdom, chap! England more specifically.

From da North. North-west. I live in a large town called Stockport near the city of Manchester. Go to a college about ten miles away called Sale Grammar 6th Form, surprisingly, in Sale. Which is a small place. Boringly, I haven't lived anywhere else.

I don't particularly wanna live anywhere else, maybe move to a different place for University but then come back to live in Manchester when I'm older.

I've only been to America once, to Los Angeles for a few days and then went skiing at Mammoth Mountain with school. It was really class. I really love the USA for it's varied terrain, one minute we were driving across the Nevada desert, the next minute we were on snowy mountains! It's far more beautiful than England!

But sometimes I find the people their annoying....We were at Disneyworld in Anaheim, and one of the people asked us in the queue whether we were from England. Then he asked if we knew the Queen. I was like, yes , I have tea with her on weekends. Of course I don't know her! He even asked what she was like!

We got a lot of questions like that from other people.

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with our Royal Family, who, sorry to break it to you, are a waste of money and time for our Country. Millions of tax-payers moneys go to a Queen so she can wipe her arse on a gold-plated toilet with dimaond encrusted handles. She has no purpose. I bet someone will say she is good for tourism, that maybe true, but who's to say people won't still visit Buckingham Palace? In France, they have more revenue from their Palace receipts and they haven't had a royal family for over 200 years!

Sorry, ranted a bit there :D
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:39 pm
Elocina says...

NATE was born in IDAHO! Yahoo! Finally, someone who has a vague idea that that state exists! (In case you haven't guessed, thats where I live).

I live in the Snake River Basin, actually, the river is a half-mile from my house. This is in southern Idaho.

Fire, don't get the impression that all Americans are air-headed idiots who phrase inappropriate questions rudely. It seems to me that most of those people live in densely populated areas, no offense to anyone living in a city. I've met some people like that. I just shrug and call 'em city-slickers. (I only call people I don't like that. Or, sometimes to tease.)

It is a pretty country. It is also so huge, you can live there your entire life and never see all of it. In Idaho, we've got Sagebrush deserts, irrigated farms, mountains, lakes, rivers, sand dunes, really cool used-to-be-volcanic area, and....not enough snow where I live.

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:27 pm
niteowl says...

(edited to remove identifying info)Boring suburban town in northern US.

In terms of US travel, I haven't gone further west than Chicago, but I have also been to Australia via People to People and loved it. I am so going back there someday! Hack, maybe I would like to live there.

We don't get enough snow either. Last year was the WORST! -25 windchills and 2 inches of snow. On the coldest day, the ridiculous admin. forced us to go to school even though it was closed in the surrounding areas and it was -25 out. :evil:

The weather now is also quite depressing. 40's and raining all week. a little bit of snow today. very cloudy (not that there's ever such a thing as sun here).

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:05 pm
Firestarter says...

We don't get enough snow either. Last year was the WORST! -25 windchills and 2 inches of snow. On the coldest day, the ridiculous admin. forced us to go to school even though it was closed in the surrounding areas and it was -25 out. Evil or Very Mad

The weather now is also quite depressing. 40's and raining all week. a little bit of snow today. very cloudy (not that there's ever such a thing as sun here).

Don't you dare complain about your weather! j/k

We don't even get any snow hardly EVER! It's so rubbish, it's nearly Christmas, but we get nothing. It's cos it doens't get as cold here, but we have more than enough rain. Rains far too much in Manchester. It's a bit of a running joke here.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:55 pm
iced.cappuchino says...

Merry Christmas from Canada.

Snow's all good when it's outside and you're looking at it from the inside. But when you have to wake up an hour early to shovel it out of your driveway... it'll dampen your enthousiasm for it, I assure you. xP

I'm from Canada, more specifically, Quebec. Home to maple syrup, poutine, and, er, hydro-electricity? Er. o0

Anyway.

Firestarter wrote:You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with our Royal Family, who, sorry to break it to you, are a waste of money and time for our Country. Millions of tax-payers moneys go to a Queen so she can wipe her arse on a gold-plated toilet with dimaond encrusted handles. She has no purpose. I bet someone will say she is good for tourism, that maybe true, but who's to say people won't still visit Buckingham Palace? In France, they have more revenue from their Palace receipts and they haven't had a royal family for over 200 years!

o_o Curious. I thought most UK-ers liked their Royal Family....

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:52 pm
Firestarter says...

o_o Curious. I thought most UK-ers liked their Royal Family....

Well, I can't speak for the whole country, but...

I will. Most of my friends find them annoying. They don't do anything. It would be much easier to have a President as a Head of State, such as Germany and France. It would be cheaper and the justice system would make much more sense, the Queen has more power than it would seem. However, over here, we have an annoying way of always remembering traditions and keeping them. We never let them go. It's silly.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:51 pm
Cacophony says...

I'm from south-eastern Massachusetts but I'm going to college in Boston, which is about an hour from where I live. There's a lot of trees and cranberry bogs in my area (and Dunkin' Donuts too...;)).

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:36 pm
dele24 says...

Ok, I'm from NZ. I live in a small town called Takaka, in Golden Bay. Of course since its summer here there is no snow at this time of year. When it is winter though, where I live we never get snow on the ground, only on the hills.

BTW Shes NZs Queen too and although the royal family don't seem to do much, I think the royals provide a sense of stability or something like that. They can't be utterly useless or they would have been gotten rid of by now (maybe like they got rid of Charles I)

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:42 pm
Perra says...

I live in Arkansas, US! The second Poorest State(not that we don't have rich people here), but also the second Most Generous :mrgreen: ! We've currently got slightly windy weather but I could still stand to go outside in a T-shirt. It's also just a little wet. We've had quite a bit of rain this year. Infact, it still looks like fall(although technically by calenders it still is! I think...). Hopefully this year we'll get more than half and inch of snow and also snow instead of ice and sleet!
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:46 pm
Firestarter says...

BTW Shes NZs Queen too and although the royal family don't seem to do much, I think the royals provide a sense of stability or something like that. They can't be utterly useless or they would have been gotten rid of by now (maybe like they got rid of Charles I)

Stability? But the same stability can be gained from having a President as a Head of State who is cheaper for our country. The money can go into improving our public transport and health care. They only haven't been got ridden of by now because we're so stuck up with traditions and people think the Royal Family are "british" and so we should stick with them. It didn't work getting rid of Charles I because in those days having a monarchy was useful, these days it's not.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:22 pm
Elocina says...

I dunno. Presidents can really make me consider saying I'm not from America. Sometimes they do stuff so stupid that I feel like slapping them upside the head. I'm not going to get into politics here... nasty stuff happens. At least we only have them for a maximum of 8 years.

We had 36 hours of nonstop RAIN! STUPID! We'd been in the teens just the day before the precipitation came! OHH!
...At least the mountains are getting snow I guess. We've been in a drought.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:29 am
Crysi says...

I'm from Livermore, California, which is about 45 miles east of San Francisco. The only time I see snow is if I go to Nevada or Utah. I live in the valley, so it's too warm here for snow.. although it does get cold enough at night in the winter. We don't get much rain, either.. The summer's are torture, though! Once I think it got up to 115 degrees.. Gah. That was the summer our A/C went out, too.

I don't know.. I'd like to visit NZ or Ireland or somewhere because of the scenery. Plus I'm obsessed with LOTR.. :wink: I don't know enough about anywhere to form an opinion of which is better. America frustrates me sometimes, but I do have a sense of patriotism, especially because my cousin is in Iraq right now. I support him 100%.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:31 am
Nate says...

Eleven so far from the US? And only one each from UK, New Zealand, and Canada? I know that YWS is much more international than that...

With regards to the Queen, the American attitude toward it is pretty much "Those silly Brits." We are kind of interested in the British royal crown, but not really. Anyways, though, what'd you expect Firestarter? After all, you were in California at the time.

As it regards snow, Washington DC is famous for completely shutting down for just one snowflake. We have plenty of snow plows, though, so I think it has more to do with congressmen just trying to get out of work.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:10 am
Tessitore says...

I see snow, sometimes. I get the extreme freezing cold and the extreme boiling heat. I have four seasons. I am... Missouri-girl. Dun, dun, dun...

I dislike this place, however, and hope one day to move to San Francisco, where I belong (and close to where I was born, in San Jose).

Nyah.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson