Young Writers Society

Boy's Hot Chocolate Stand Raises 225 Dollars For Tsunami

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:40 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Boy's hot chocolate stand raises 225 dollars for tsunami relief

SAMMAMISH, Wash. An eleven-year-old boy is raising money for tsunami victims by selling hot chocolate.
Thomas Wilson says he was walking around the block, wishing he could do something to help, when he got the idea. He says, "As a Christian myself, I feel that God wanted me to do this."

So on Wednesday, he, his brother, two sisters and a couple of friends braved a steady rain, stood alongside a road in suburban Seattle with their laminated "Hot Chocolate for Tidal Wave Relief!" sign and raised 225 dollars.

He says some people gave them 20-dollar bills and said, "Keep the change."

Wilson, who's home-schooled, says he and his friends hope to sell more hot chocolate tomorrow and then donate the money they raise to World Vision.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:26 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Wow, thats amazing. Good for them, raise so much money for tsunami relief, I would love to do something like that. They have a very good heart, yeah, but 225 dollars?! WOW! I wonder how much money they would make if it wasn't for tsunami victims...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:17 am
View Likes
Nate says...

If it's anything like the lemonade stand I used to have, only twenty bucks a day.

The tsunami thing still has me absolutely astounded. I mean, so many people died in a matter of a few hours, and it could have been prevented so many ways. What I don't understand is how they didn't predict it. I mean, I know there are no detectors or whatever, but surely they knew about the 9.0 earthquake off the coast of Indonesia right away and could have figured out that it would cause a tsunami across the Indian ocean. I guess not though...

It really does make me glad that the US is helping out in such a large way. There are so many examples of private donations like this one (my church raised $20,000 dollars this past Sunday even though the people at my church are usually very stingy, even though they are also very rich for the most part). It's also good to see two former presidents getting involved in the aid effort and that ships from the US Navy have been dispatched to the afflicted areas to deliver aid.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:19 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

I can't even imagine the devastation over there.. Didn't they say that over 145,000 people are dead and they're still finding more bodies everyday?

Wow.. That is really a scary thought..

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:03 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

*brushes away tear* i'm 11...and now suddenly inspired! :D

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:20 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

My two neighbors (10 and 12) are now doing the same thing. They sold $290 worth of hot chocolate at the YMCA center the other day, and they're going to be selling Lemonade tomorrow (the forecast says it'll be 70 F) by the bike trail. Right now, their goal is $1000.

And since we live in a place where a lot of news anchors live and most politicians as well, I told them to set up outside one of those people's house so that they could get some publicity. Fortunately, the bike trail runs right behind Cokie Roberts' house... hehehe

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:54 pm
View Likes
Tessitore says...

That's amazing. Really amazing.

Has anyone seen that Discovery Channel show on the mega-tsunami that could hit the East Coast (America)?

Basically an underground earthquake can only generate something like a thirty, maybe forty foot wave, but any amount of mass falling into water at a great spead can create a much larger wave. There was an instance in Alaska where a landslide created something like a fifty or a hundred foot wave that lifted these fishing boats out of the cove they were in and deposited two of them in trees, and one of them into the ocean, past a large strip of land.

My facts are really horrid, so I'm trying to get this straight, bear with me...

There's an island off the coast of Africa that has two volcanoes on it, one active and one dormant (or dead). The dead one is actually filling up with water, because the particular grade of rock on the island basically acts like one big sponge, and has been soaking up rainfall for the last few hundred or thousand years. The water on its own can't really do much but the occasional small land or mudslide, but when combined with the heat of the active volcano... well, lets just say that half of the island is going to fall into the ocean, and when it does it's going to create a wave that'll hit the east coast of America, Mexico, and Canada. It's supposed to be so tall it'll drown out sky scrapers. And they're saying it could happen anywhere from tomorrow to some hundred years from now... but soon.

We'd basically have an eight hour warning. Personally, if I was on the East Coast, I'd just take a bike, not even bother with a car. Cause a car would get stuck in traffic, and a bike... Well, think about it. On a bike you go faster then on foot, and with eight hours of pedaling you should get far enough that you'd be pretty safe. They're saying the wave would go inland a few miles.

My facts are horrid, I know. The show is playing overtime now because of the tsunami that just struck, so you'll probably be able to catch it, or check show listings on the internet... something. It's really amazing.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:59 pm
View Likes
smilyfacebkwrm says...

Wow, that is really cool. It's like this story I heard ages ago about this little girl who had a lemonade stand for cancer research (I think she had cancer herself) and raised $1,000 or something ... I heard about this awhile ago. :)

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl