z

Young Writers Society

Skye + Publication = Disaster?

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:32 pm
Skye says...

Alright, so I've made it my summer project to send a couple poems out to several different magazines/contests and see how many rejections I can wrack up in a three-month period. This is what I have so far:

looking heavenward with gravity

This one's definitely going out somewhere. The contest I'm looking at has a postmark deadline of June 1st, so this is going to be sent off pretty soon.
Linkie: viewtopic.php?t=13017&highlight=

For Walt, with Reverent Indifference

I'm not sure if this one is going to go out or not. I'd have to edit out Walt's lines that I "borrowed", and it would probably help if I could sent it to a contest that was specifically Whitman themed, but... we'll see.
Linkie: viewtopic.php?t=15292&highlight=

Untitled-As-Of-Yet

I also have an untitled ekphrastic poem in the works -- that may or may not get posted here before the deadline. (It's becoming more and more apparent that deadlines are not friendly things for me. -_-")

If anyone wants to help with crits or with general submission advice, that'd be great, but otherwise I'll just keep you posted throughout the summer as to how things are going. :)

Wish me luck!
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue May 01, 2007 12:48 am
Sam says...

Ekphrastic? Excellent word- what does it mean? *is lazy*

Good luck, Skyness! If you want, I could venture out of my fiction forums just for you. Just for you, mind. :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

145 Reviews

Tue May 01, 2007 1:56 am
Skye says...

Ekphrastic actually isn't in any dictionary I've found, but it is a word, and Webster be damned! An ekphrastic poem would describe/be related to some work of art. The contest says, "We are looking for well-crafted poetry, the main content of which addresses individual works from any artistic genre." I think someone here on YWS wrote one, but I can't remember who...

Aw, shucks. :P That could be... interesting. I dare ya to give it a go!
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue May 01, 2007 2:20 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

I especially loved the one about good ol' Walt. Both of them were fantastic, though!

You'll win the contest, dagnabit! *chants*
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed May 02, 2007 8:38 pm
Cade says...

I wrote an ekphrastic (also ecphrastic) that I posted here! I actually just sent it off to a local library contest. :)

I share your sentiments on the deadlines. I always end up handing my stuff in or sending it out the very last day. Oh boy, just wait 'til I apply to college.

Good luck with all your ventures! I hope to see that untitled poem floating around sometime...

-Colleen :D
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

145 Reviews

Sun May 13, 2007 4:47 am
Skye says...

Ah, I knew I had seen one online here!

I'm still working on poems to be sent out this summer. It seems now they're numbering upwards of seven...? :shock:

I also talked to my English teacher, who has been very encouraging to me all year. He actually gave me the link of an online publication that one of his college teachers runs. He says I should have no problem getting published there, so I'm hoping that'll work out as well.

I guess I'll keep you posted on everything, yeah? I should start sending stuff off after June 1, so hopefully the updates will start coming in thick and fast a month or two afterwards. :)

Until next time,
Skye

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman