z

Young Writers Society

Publish?

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:07 pm
Kylan says...

I've recently written a short story - posted here on YWS - called The Oil Fields Are Burning. It's probably the best piece of fiction I've ever written. Good dialogue, unique characters, interesting plot. TOFAB is about 7,000 words or twelve pages long, 12 point font/single spaced. It's a military science fiction/adventure/alternate history/thriller.

I'm gonna post my progress here; my rejections, comments on rejections, success. I'll submit to a couple literary journals and small circulation magazines and see where it gets me. My mag. choices now are:

- Harpur Palate
- Northwoods Journal
- Palo Alto review
- Paradox
- The North American Review
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine
- And a few others

I would always appreciate publishing tips, encouragement, more critique on TOFAB, and other random bits of advice. This is my first time folks! I need all the help I can get.

Also, I'm thinking of changing the title... Which sounds better?:

- The Oil Fields Are Burning
- Oil, oil, burning bright
- Burning the oil fields
- I am the hawk

Thanks!

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:31 pm
Emerson says...

I prefer the first title, simply because Ali's obsessions with the hawk thing annoys me xD [you'll see that comment in the critique.]

I've sent in one story so far, and I haven't really learned from it, but I could give some pointers. Be sure to format your manuscripts, I'll see if I can dig up the web site I used to help me learn to format... ah, it's here: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html Very helpful, follow those guides.

Be polite in your cover letter, too ^_~ But stay professional. Read everything and anything they say in their submission page. They'll usually say, "Read our magazine to get an idea of what things we publish." I never did, but I'm lazy, so...

Also, be patient. Incredibly so. I just sent my short story into one magazine, and they don' except simultaneous submissions so I have to wait for a rejection before I can send it anywhere else, and they say they take anywhere from a month to five months to reply. Depressing, isn't it?

Good luck with publishing! I look forward to see updates, and hope you do get it published.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

387 Reviews

Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:56 pm
Kylan says...

Thanks for the hyperlink, Clau. I read it over and will incorporate it into my ms. Very helpful.

Yeah, looking back on the story, I definately need to lay off the 'hawk' bit. I'll probably edit out a few hawk lines throughout the piece, especially near the end. Thanks for your crits. They're extremely helpful.

I agree with you about the plot in general. Needs more conflict. But the ending should be tweaked as well. It needs another twist, I think. Do you have any suggestions? How do you feel about Clevenger killing Ali in the end. After Ali has already killed him. :wink: I've got a plan... Well, I'm headed off to word to write an alternate ending. But if you don't want Ali dead, stop me now. :D

A question: do you think it has a chance? At being published, I mean. (Answer truthfully, please)

-Kylan

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

387 Reviews

Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:57 pm
Kylan says...

2nd draft = 1st draft - 10%.

From Stephen King's, On Writing

Good advice.

-Kylan

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2058 Reviews

Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:03 pm
Emerson says...

haha, the minus 10% thing? I heard thats true as well. Only because most of what is in your first draft is horrible, but for me and short stories, I never really have a second draft, I just constantly edit the first.

A question: do you think it has a chance? At being published, I mean. (Answer truthfully, please)
I think it does! Truthfully! You are a really good writer, and you brought me right into it from the very beginning. Only problem was keeping me interesting.

Oh, I just had an idea. Might I throw it out there?

Since the problem was that chapter two and about half or so of chapter three were already expected, because of chapter one, what if you cut all that out, jumped to Mark being all depressed, and then told us what happened through dialog between Ali and Mark? I mean, I really did like the other parts, and I don't WANT you to cut them, but this is just a thought. It would shorten it a whole, whole lot, but you wouldn't have to deal with the problem of lack of conflict.

Of course, if I don't like something, and can't fix it immediately, I cut it out XD Not alway good.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

387 Reviews

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:02 pm
Kylan says...

Hmm. Well, I edited my first draft and something very bad happened. The word count jumped from 7,000 to 8,000. :shock: I guess I'm just a natural "putter-inner" instead of a "taker-outer". However, I'm going to try to cut it down another 300 words.

I wrote an alternate ending to TOFAB. I wasn't feeling too good about the first ending, but it added 900 words to my ms. So...here it is.

Clevenger grunted, clutched his chest and fell forward, knocking the tequila bottle onto the ground. It shattered instantly, mixing the alcohol with the director's blood. Face plastered to the table, Clevenger groaned, eyes tight. Ali watched with veiled interest. The man groped at his life a moment longer and then laid still.

Calmly, Ali stood up. He inclined his head slightly toward Clevenger's corpse, transferred the gun to his gloved hand and proceeded to wipe his finger prints from the stock. As he walked towards the door, Kemal slipped the gun into Mark's limp hand. Another tragic suicide. A desperate solution for a desperate man. Ali Kemal felt pleased. Empowered. Ten feet tall. It was exquisite: the way the director's spine had arched in pain. The pain his good friend had felt before dying was like a high to him. Nature's cocaine.

Beautiful. Always beautiful.

But something clattered to the ground behind him, shattering the oppressive quiet. Ali stopped at the door.

Frowning, he turned around slowly and caught sight of a remote control that had dropped from Clevenger's hand onto the shag carpet flooring. The dead man's hand swung eerily above it, animated suddenly. Alive. His frown deepened.

The ceiling began to hiss.

The plasma screen TV flickered on, painting the dim room blue.

Ali stopped in mid-step, his heart beating his rib cage savagely. An alien feeling rippled down his spine and dropped into his stomach. Something wasn't right. Ali forced himself to remain calm, eying the television and the ceiling carefully. You are in control of your environment. Analyze the situation. Be ready, Ali. Clear your mind.

Four clouds of whitish gas started trickling from out of the A/C vents and Mark Clevenger's face appeared on the plasma screen. He was smiling. And alive. Two very undesirable traits, Ali thought.

Salaam, my friend.”

The assassin was rooted where he stood. The clouds billowed out into the room clinging to the walls and ground like a misty fog. Nerve gas, Ali thought. The bastard left me a present. Ali shook his head. He had been stupid. Overly confident. His gaze shifted from the gas to the screen. Clevenger was still smiling.

“The tables have turned, haven't they? If you're seeing this Kemal, I'm dead. I die, you die. I'm not the type who forgives and forgets. They can't make a Christian out of me. Have you noticed the gas? Potent stuff, Somain. One of the most deadly nerve gases known to mankind. I'm sure that you're very familiar with this particular weapon, my friend. Your line of work requires it.”

Ali knew about it. In fact, he had used Somain himself on several projects. The gas caused vomiting, paralysis, and then death. Not a pleasant way to go. His victims had screamed, they had begged for death.

Frantically, Ali turned and ran for the door. It was locked. He tugged at the handle, neck straining, eyes bulging.

“Yes, in case you're wondering, the door is locked,” came Clevenger's voice, teasing him. “You will die here, Ali. You can't screw with me. A deal is a deal. I don't know why you did it, but you'll pay.”

The gas was filling up the room. Ali coughed several times as he tore a strip from his jacket and pressed it to his mouth and nose. Homemade gas masks. Dizzy, he snatched a hand-carved chair and flung it one-handed at the windowed wall. He had to get out. He had to escape. Ali Kemal was always on the other end of a killing. This was just wrong. No one could stop him. He was invincible.

The chair shattered against the window, appendages rebounding against the unbroken glass.

“Oh,” said Clevenger as if on cue, as if he was watching, “You might wanna know. The windows are plexiglass. Good luck breaking them. You'd have more luck battering down the door. Which is reinforced steel, by the way.”

“Shut up,” Ali roared, flinging a chair leg at the television. The screen exploded in a shower of glimmering shards.

Retching violently, reeling, Ali glanced around the room for another exit, eyes wild. The air was opaque with the Somain. He could barely see. His eyes burned. He had been tricked. Ali swore, tearing away his “gas mask” and vomited onto the ground. First symptom.

Through the dusky mist, Ali spotted the conference table and above it, a large maintenance vent. An exit. It had to be. He lurched forward and crawled onto the table. He vomited again, staining the mahogany, swearing through the stomach acids.

Clevenger's words echoed in his half delirious mind, You will die here, Ali. You will die, you will die, you will die.

Swallowing another retch, Ali scrambled to his feet and shoved his fingers into the vent grate. He wrenched at it with all his might, ignoring the sharp metal as it dug into his skin, drawing blood.

It held, stubborn.

He pulled again. And again. And again, sobbing in delirium. His gas mask had long since been forgotten.

Finally, the screw thread stripped and the vent clattered to the table. Ali coughed, feeling weak, his arms and legs like lead and flung his bleeding hands into the vent, gripping the edge. His eyes were getting heavy. So tired, so tired. Just make it stop.

Ali tried to heave himself up the vent, but he couldn't. He tried again, drawing himself halfway through the opening before falling heavily onto the table. His legs had frozen. It was as if someone had taken a pair of wire clippers and snipped the nerve that connected his hip to his brain. Writhing on the table, in his own vomit, Ali realized he was being paralyzed. Second symptom.

The wire clippers traveled up his body, snipping connections, robbing the brain of it's limbs. Ali couldn't think straight anymore. He felt his consciousness loosening it's grip on the world. You will die here, Ali, Clevenger whispered to him in the darkness. His eyelids closed slowly.

His body was still.

In the far distance, over the hissing, over Clevenger's voice, just before he lost consciousness, Ali heard the frantic squealing of a vole caught in a hawk's talons. It's spine was arched. It's blood was pooling. It writhed and struggled.

Save me, it screamed.

To this the hawk replied, No hope. No hope.

And emotionless, the hawk shrieked and took flight.

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:07 pm
Sureal says...

http://www.duotrope.com - contains a list of magazines that publish stories, and has user-submitted info on the magazines. Includes average response time, average success ratio, and other info.

http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html - how to format a short story when submitting to magazines.
I wrote the above just for you.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:26 pm
Prokaryote says...

Hey, nothing to say except that you should stick to your first title. It's simple, and it caught my eye (even though I didn't read the story :p).

Prokaryote

387 Reviews

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:28 pm
Kylan says...

Thanks Sureal and Prokaryote for your input!!!

I have posted TOFAB under Science Fiction purely because it takes place in the future. But I'm not sure that I should submit it to a mag. as SF because it doesn't contain many scientific elements. For those of you who have read the story, what genre would you place TOFAB under?

-SF
-Thriller
-Suspense
-Mainstream
-Adventure
-etc. etc.???

Well, I've narrowed down (not really :D ) the mags I want to submit to:

- Harpur Palate
- [s]Northwoods Journal[/s]
- [s]Palo Alto review [/s]
- Paradox
- [s]The North American Review[/s]
- Anti Muse
- Far sector SFFH
- Peridot Books
- The rose and thorn literary E-zine

Thanks for helping me with this!

-Kylan

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:08 pm
Trident says...

They have a fast turnover rate and you usually get a personal response, but they have a very high rejection rate. Very hard to get your work published there. But it's worth a try!
Perception is everything.

387 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:06 pm
Kylan says...

So this is an example of the cover letter I'm sending out. It's not exactly what the editors will see but it's close enough :

Obi H. Ekwonn
Oracle Story & Letters
Rising Star Publishers
7510 Lake Glen Drive
Glen Dale, MD 20769

Dear Editor:

I am submitting my short story, “The Oil Fields Are Burning” (8,295 words), for your consideration in Oracle Story & Letters.

Enclosed you will also find an SASE for your response; you may recycle this manuscript. Feedback is always appreciated. This is a simultaneous submission.

Your listing in the Novel & Short Story Writer's Market said you are seeking “Adventure... Military/ War...and Thriller/Espionage” and I think my story fits this description. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

(Signature here)

Kylan Rice

Encl: Short story, “The Oil Fields Are Burning”
SASE

Do you guys have any suggestions?? Oh, and here's the final list of magazines I'm submitting to:

-- Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine
-- Oracle Story & Letters
-- Blackbird
-- Toasted Cheese

There we go!! I'll probably send of the manuscripts within the week. Wish me luck!

-Kylan

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2058 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:11 pm
Emerson says...

Seems pretty good, best of luck!

Just a few points:

Be sure that all of the magazines accept simultaneous submissions. Some of the ones, if not all, that I sent to do not. Also, do not tell them you are simultaneously submitting until they specifically ask. Do they ask about your publishing/writing history, or a mini info about you? Just be 100% careful with everything!

I hope you get published!

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus