z

Young Writers Society

Notes on FREAK

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:11 pm
theruralruins says...

Good summary!! I've heard so much about it, I want to read it! But the funny thing is, you said it was on snoink.com, but its not!!! (At least not where I can find it) If it is still on there, please post a link!!! If not, publish it quick!!!
Hello? Hello? Oh, it's just me. Nobody in particular, and I'm wondering how you are. Good? That's good. Bye!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:46 am
Snoink says...

Oh! No, a lot of my writings are on www.snoink.com, but not FREAK. The quote in my signature actually belongs to "The Death Parlor," not FREAK.

FREAK is finished and hopefully about to be published. I'll keep you all updated. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:04 pm
theruralruins says...

ok, but as soon as you hear anything from anybody about FREAK, post it.
Hello? Hello? Oh, it's just me. Nobody in particular, and I'm wondering how you are. Good? That's good. Bye!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:59 am
Snoink says...

Okay... the summary has been revised:

Summary for FREAK:

When a freak living in an overcrowded slum is sold to a wealthy politician to be a maidservant of his teenage daughter Sadie, she expects life to be easier. But when she begins her service in the house, she quickly realizes she’s trapped within a feuding family. At first she tries to ignore this and continue her job in peace, but when she gets involved in an affair with the politician, the family, already divided, is torn apart. With politics becoming even more intense and Sadie’s impending marriage, it’s up to the freak to bring the family back together again, if she can.

...and that's it.

I did my first draft of my query letter. I'll show it off to be critiqued and we'll see what happens. The query page is 186 words and very succinct. If FREAK doesn't get read, at least this will! It doesn't really go into anything about me, and it sort of doesn't follows the standard format, but the standard format is kind of stupid in that it's not very concise. This is. So hopefully that's good and it'll appear very professional.

Next thing I need to do is write a synopsis. Hopefully this is going to be easier.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:29 am
Shadow Knight says...

Congratulations Big K, you finally did it.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:01 am
LowKey says...

Sound REALLY great! I remember reading a post about FREAK in your blog and I though it was a book by another person or a movie. I was checking Amazon, BN, Walden Books, the library, etc. About a week later I found out that you were writing it. *sigh* PLEASE let me know when It's published!

CONGRADULATIONS!!!
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:16 pm
Jesise says...

I can't wait to read your novel! Anyways, do you think that mentioning that there is already a demand for your book would (possibly!) help get them hooked? I've heard that sometimes it helps!

I'm not finished Chp.1 of mine...but I'm already researching literary agents. Who have you contacted?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:17 am
Snoink says...

Nobody so far. I finished my query letter, but I need to write my synopsis. But... I can do that over the spring break, hopefully.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:32 am
xtenx says...

Good luck with the synopsis! I thought the query would be the hard part, but I actually found the synopsis more difficult because there are less standard restrictions for a synopis whereas there are very specific expectations about the synopsis. I hope you have a better time than me :)

I can't wait for your book to get published! I'm really excited about reading it.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:52 am
Leja says...

Snoink, I read your synnopsis and really wanted to then read your story...but then I realized that it's no where to be found :( So I hope it comes out in book form soon!

-Amelia

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:30 am
Snoink says...

Three words:

GAH.

Okay, so I reread the finishing thing and... yeah. Not good.

So what you basically have is this intense intense INTENSE story and it slows down and starts up, yada yada, you get the drill. Good stuff, no?

Then the end.

Starting with Chapter 48, the story starts to flail. Not in the bad way, mind you. It's not ever horrible. Just, when you read it, you get the sense of not understanding what's happening. And this is bad. Clarity is essential to this story and without it, it has a less powerful statement. Not that it isn't goo but... you know.

What needs to be done?

The plan needs to be emphasized.

Towards the end, a plan, the plan, is hatched in order to free the characters. Unlike most stories, however, this plan just doesn't not seem to work. It's constantly in revision and it seems more thrown together than anything. This does not stop them from going forward, but it does start some pretty intense arguments.

Now, the plan needs to be stated more clearly to the freak. I think I'm going to have J talk to A and make fun of the plan, in a sarcastic cynical way, which would make her doubt D and S. So yes.

Haha... this isn't making any sense.

But yeah. It needs to be more developed. Emphasis on work should be put on 48, 49. Otherwise, the readers will be lost.

In the meantime, the letter is (still) being worked on. Joy.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:13 pm
Fishr says...

When I finish Bound for Glory, at least the first book, I'm sure I'll be in the same boat as you. Shocked for the first few days, then when reality hits, overjoyed or something. :D On my end, I'm so close to finishing the first one, that's it's killing me! So I definately have an idea on the feeling.

Congrats on finishing!! Bar hopping anyone?

Does this mean I can prune it ruthlessly now? ;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:50 am
Snoink says...

Because I've been getting these questions, I figure I would answer them really quick and if you see them, great, and if you don't, too bad.

1) Have you published it?

No.

2) Have you sent it off to publishers?

No.

3) Why not?

It's going through another edit. This is the edit to end all edits, hopefully. But I'm not promising anything.

4) When will you publish it?

When it's ready to be published.

5) Will you tell me when it gets published?

Oh, you'll know. I'll make sure of it.

I hope that clarifies some things...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:00 pm
Snoink says...

I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT!

I wrote the one long summary, and it was great and everything and then I lost it, and it was very sad, but I found it! I found it and an outline and I am soooo going to write that long summary, screw Nanowrimo. So ha!

:)

EDIT:

Oh gawd, FREAK is such a soap opera. XD

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:59 pm
Leja says...

Yay! Finding things is fun! :D

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault