z

Young Writers Society

my publishing attempts

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:30 pm
xtenx says...

So after struggling for years to complete something worthwhile, I've finally finished my first novel- I've even finished editing, which was a grueling process. During editing I added 3K words, after cutting a bunch of crap out :lol: But I'm happy with the outcome. If nothing else, it is a novel I enjoy reading, published or not.

I always thought my first novel would be a fiction piece, but I ended up failing time after time before realizing fantasy was the genre for me. It's strange how things fall into place sometimes. Not only did I write something I never expected, but it's the first in a planned trilogy. I have the next two novels outlined and ready to go- I just want to start querying before I complete the project.

I'm in the process of writing my first query letter right now. Actually, I took a break to post this out of frustration. I've read it over and over, and it just doesn't do my novel justice. I wish they would just read my manuscript without a query letter, but at the same time I understand why publishers don't like unsolicited manuscripts. But after I put my entire heart into the book, it's scary to think people are basing their entire opinion on a 1 page letter!

Even when I finish the damn letter I won't be satisfied with it. I'll eventually just send it off without really being happy with it- maybe I'll be content, but not happy. Ughh :?

The other problem is that I don't even have a publisher in mind. Maybe I shouldn't even send it to a publisher- maybe I should try to get an agent. It's hard to say. I've done a lot of research about it, but it's all a giant mess of information in my mind still. I need to unravel it and figure it all out.

Suggestions anyone? Agent v. Publisher...Publisher v. Publisher...Agent v. Agent- who and where should I send it to? If I want to send it to an agent there are 2037210, same thing with publishers. Ultimately I'll decide for myself, but a little direction never hurt anyone.

Hmm. No wonder I have a headache.
Last edited by xtenx on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:11 am
Sureal says...

Unless you're comfortable with complicated looking legal agreements, and believe you can talk publishers into giving you the best deal possible, I'd say get an agent.

And well done with having finished the novel :).
I wrote the above just for you.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:49 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I would suggest that you send it to an agent first, as most pubished authors recommend it, and it will save you the effort of having to self-publish which, from what I have read, is a long and grueling process. Also, having an agent will probably increase your chances of getting published, as they will approach publishers and do all the hard work for you. Sounds lazy, but it will probably also cut down the time it will take to get published.

For a list of literary agents, I suggest you get the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2007, or go on their website, which is just as good and doesn't cost. The link is: http://www.writersservices.com/agent/us/agent_us.htm

This is a list of the best agents in the US (there is also a UK section), and they all have their guidlines on what to send, how much, and what genre they deal in.

So, good luck, and keep us posted on any progress! Hope I've helped,
Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:58 pm
dragnet says...

Well, I just found this really awsome publishing company called PublishAmerica. They sounded really good. They say that they don't charge the author anything, work with the author and do what they want, and the author gets to make all of the desions. It's really great!! I have an adgent to help me, but they say that you don't need one with this publishing company. But they say that if you want one to help you out, that's okay, too. You should check them out at www.publishamerica.com. They give TONS of info. right up front, and you can have your book published in six weeks if you want too!!!!
Many ask me if I see the glass as half full or half empty. Well, I don't know about you, but I see the glass as, WHO DRANK HALF OF MY MILK?!?!?!

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:19 pm
Sureal says...

dragnet: a traditional publisher (as opposed to vanity publishing, or self-publishing) won't charge you money. Almost all books found in bookshops are published through a traditional publisher.

A quick check on its wikipedia article, and I'd personally say that if you're after success as a writer, avoid PublishAmerica - they appear to be little more than a scam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publishamerica You could, however, try www.lulu.com - they're a POD, self-publisher, but their honest and upfront with what they're doing.
I wrote the above just for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:50 pm
Snoink says...

Yay! Good luck with that. Maybe we'll get our books published around the same time? ;)

Get Writer's Market 2007. You'll love yourself for it. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Ooh! No-no! Big no-no here! One time some authors got together and wrote a novel which had genders changing, inconsistent plots, you name it, it had it. One chapter was completely gibberish, written by a computer that had had the previous chapters fed into it. Example: Harry ate bologna, admiring the egg-filled net.

And of course, PublishAmerica accepted it, called Atlanta Nights by "Travis Tee" (travesty). They have extremely low standards and they're a scam.

Atlanta Nights is also available on Lulu, just because there were so many people that wanted to read the outcome. :) But really, don't go with PA.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:13 pm
Aet Lindling says...

However, after I finish my current novel (titled Aeo), I think I'll start writing an AMAZING TRAVESTY OF ULTIMATE VALUE! and send it to PublishAmerica.
Excerpt:
Blah blah blah. BLAH. blah dl;kfjs;dlfkaj;d. Harry says "sofkjas;dl." Molly says "sodflakd;jf/" How dare they.
:)

Also, they have made VERY derogatory comments about sci-fi and fantasy writers and books.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 am
lucafont90 says...

I published with PublishAmerica and I sadly fear that it probably has ruined my writing career forever. Don't go with them. I thought that they would edit by book and all that crap, but they did not. When I receive the final product, it was not what I had sent it. Typos, altered storyline, fragmented paragraphs and page setting.

DO NOT GO WITH PUBLISHAMERICA. I made the mistake of doing that.
I am a published author with two novels on the market.

9 Reviews

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:39 am
xtenx says...

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I'm definitely not going to Publish America, especially after reading what most of you had to say about it. To be honest I hadn't even heard of it until it was mentioned. I want to go through a traditional publisher anyway.

I think I'm going to query a publisher just to see how the process goes, and then if/when that fails, I'll start querying agents. I'll definitely look into the books you guys listed too. I've done a lot of internet research, and am definitely willing to read through informational books as well. If you have any more websites or titles please feel free to post them! I already looked through a bunch of agents/agencies and picked out several who accept query letters for fantasy novels. I'm pretty excited!

Snoik wrote:Yay! Good luck with that. Maybe we'll get our books published around the same time? :wink:

That would be really cool! I've only just really started getting into the process now though, and it looks like you're way ahead in the game now. Good luck to you too! It'd be really awesome to buy and read a book published by an author from this site, and it would definitely be motivating to see someone who succeeded. Publishing a novel is so difficult. I know I've barely started, but the entire business seems next to impossible to break in to the industry. I just need to stay optimistic :)

I finished my query letter (or the template I guess, since it obviously has to change slightly when it is sent to different places). I'm working on a synopsis now because I know a lot of places request one, so I want to have it ready for if/when it is needed.

I'm in college right now, but next week I'm on spring break so I'll be sending off my first query. I haven't picked which agency I'm going to send it to yet, but I'm going to spend this week deciding which one seems like it is best suited for my book. I'll definitely keep you guys updated!
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:59 am
Incandescence says...

xtenx--

Preditors and Editors is a good reference to check out as well. Lots of good information to be had.

Best of luck,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:53 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... not really. I have a summary and will start to write my query letter soon! Someday! When I'm not going crazy from physics homework...

But yeah. We'll probably come out close together. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

9 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:25 pm
xtenx says...

So it's been a long time...

basically what happened was I had planned to send my first query out over my spring break. That never happened. :lol: I became incredibly freaked out by the idea so I stalled the whole process, took a break from my novel, and then re-did my already intensive proof reading.

BUT I FINALLY sent one out today, and I'm so happy that the process is really beginning. I'm aiming high. And then working my way down the list of publishers/agents. I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but I decided to send my first query to a publisher. If/when I get that rejection, I have a list of potential agents that I'm going to query next. This summer will be exciting.
-Kristen

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:25 am
Riedawriter23 says...

Congrats on finishing your first novel! I finished mine a year ago and as far as agents are concerned, this website helps.

http://agentquery.com/default.aspx

I don't know if you've heard of it or not. But here you can search for what you want and look at profiles. Plus there's info on what you need to do, look out for etc.

Good luck!
~Rieda
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

9 Reviews

Tue May 08, 2007 7:23 pm
xtenx says...

Thanks for the link, it's definitely helpful :)

I got a response from the place I queried. Problem is, I'm in college now and my SASE was addressed for my home address...because I thought I'd be home for the summer before getting a response. It came way too soon for my liking so that's definitely not a good sign :? BUT it was supposed to be a learning experience. I was never expecting a 'yes' on my first try obviously. I really want to go home to read the response though :(
-Kristen

=-=
— JazzElectrobass