z

Young Writers Society

What I hate about publishing...

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:28 am
View Likes
JC says...

Okay, maybe you know, maybe you don't, but for the past three months or so...*ponders* yup, three months, me and Windriver Publishing have been working together to get my first novel, Illusions, published.

So this is what I hate about it...

1. I never bothered to get an agent.
Yes, this is possible, I didn't think so when I first went looking, but when I found out that some publishers accept without agents, I took the easy route. Those of you who want to get published, DO NOT DO THIS! It is a generally bad idea.

2. OMFG the EDITING!
At times its crazy, like, add this here, or take this out. Make it longer. NO! not that long. I get so confused, and I'm doing so much correcting I would pay money to bet that I can recite the entire thing! punctuation and all!

3. Depressing times
When I start thinking that I'm correcting so much that it isn't even the same story anymore. Then I read the original version and I think, O wait, yes it is, just not my same story.

Well, there's more, but I have to go edit, and thinking about it rite now is making me ANGRY!!!!!

*skips of to correct punctuation...again*
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:00 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Wow, I'm impressed.

Although you may not like all the editting you're being asked to do, it's probably for the best. Publishers know what sort of stories sell, and can help you with that.

Plus as a new author I wouldn't advice you to refuse anyway. You can refuse when you're a well established writer :).
I wrote the above just for you.

Reviews: 2
Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:06 pm
View Likes
dittylicious says...

It's got to be discouraging when you feel like you're editing your story so much that it's losing its original spirit, but I'm sure everything they're asking you to do is in your best interest.

Although it may not feel so awesome, they are just trying to make your book one that everyone is going to read and love.

Your advice about getting an agent was good to hear. I was wondering how important that would be if I looked into getting anything published, so I appreciated that comment.

Anyways, good luck with everything!
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

http://dittylicious.blogspot.com

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 pm
View Likes
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, firstly, congratulations on getting your novel accepted by a publisher.

I always thought I'd get an agent anyway, but your experience has made me resolute in that decision. I hear they help with most of the editing, so that takes a lot of the weight off that.

I'm sure that in the end everything will be for the best, and all the editing will be worthwhile.

Good luck!

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:37 am
View Likes
Pacific says...

I applaud you! I don't think I'd ever go that far, I doubt even my novel will get published! So I respect you for attempting! :D

Bravo and Good Luck!
-Kiley-
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita Mae Brown

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:24 am
View Likes
Cassandra says...

All the edits you're making may feel overwhelming now, but once it's all said and done, I'm sure when you read you're work back over you'll decide it was for the best. Just stick it out and keep going--and keep us posted on how everything goes!
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

Reviews: 1
Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:24 am
View Likes
Chinadoll says...

Well at least you've got a publisher! Good luck :D
What discontent silence gathers...

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland