z

Young Writers Society

The Yerrida

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 am
Esmé says...

I admit, I’m doing one of these for the second time. But this time I intend to end, I really do. Of course, I’m writing other things, too, but this is my main project. For now.

The Yerrida - Background

The prologue shows events that happened about sixteen years ago (it used to be twenty, then thirty, and now it is sixteen). Yeah. It shows the beginning of a war between Lyssene (a colony of the Empire, ona totally different continent than the latter) and the native tribes of the Desert (called by Lyssenians and themselves Yerrida).

The prologue that is on here (YWS) and the one on my computer is a tad little different, as they storyline changed since I first posted in on here. I added something in the form of a love story, lol, as to why the war starts. It will be explained later on in the book, but roughly the war begins because of Aine’s grandmothers (a Yerrida) and her Lyssenian grandfather, who marry despite their differences. Eighteen years later (after the actual marriage) Isabel (the grandmother) attempts to escape with her daughter. It is not entirely clear how she dies, but she does - it depends on which side the story is being told. Yerrida say it was her husband who murdered her, Lyssenian’s say that it was they other way around. So, well, they both die.

It is Isabel’s and Sevinar’s (the grandfather) son who actually starts the war. Well, Sevinar does appear at the Desert with his army, but it is Sevirard who commands it after his father’s death (he is sixteen).

Yay. So that’s the background, very roughly drawn. There is also the magic (the Yerrida are sorcers) and Lyssenian hatred towards it, even though in the Empire and on the Continent it is quiet common). Magicians, sorceress and witches are hanged.

Obviously, the del Enei does not have a drop of magic in them, but it does appear in the children of Isabel. That would be Sevirard, and his son and daughter, Errin and Ainathy del Enei.

But let us stop on Sevirard for just a few seconds more. He grew up in hatred towards his own mother and her people, and considers what had happened a scandal. He starts the war, and even though his army is not big and the Emperor refuses to send reinforcements, until his death he is the one who is winning - up to a point, he is a prophet, and sees the enemies future moves.

A bit about the Yerrida, now. There were thirteen tribes, but Sevirard wiped from the face of earth ten of them, leaving only three. Then he dies in some battle or other, and Errin, his son, takes command of Lyssene, and even though one can’t see it at the first glance, he is just as obsessed about the Yerrida as his father.

Then there is Ainathy del Enei, by friends called Aine, and at the start of the book she is eleven-years-old, and is a spoiled brat. And she will be one throughout the whole book. She is fun to write, because she’s like me, lol.
Errin and his sister also have gifts passed down because of their Yerrida blood, but of that later. : )

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:03 pm
Writersdomain says...

It sounds very cool! (and I like the names. :P ) Will you be posting any more on YWS?
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:48 pm
Jenita says...

I like the names too. The Yerrida part sounds cool, but the Empire part sounds very Star-Wars-esque to me. What's with all the Empires lately? No offense. I'm sure yours is original, I've just seen a few too many. And do you mean that Aine doesn't change at all? That should be refreshing. Usually brats become less bratty. Hey... maybe that's why I'm stuck on my novel -- I don't have a brat character! Oh, wait, I decided to write one in and it didn't help. :( never mind.

Anyhoo, sounds cool. :D What was my point again? :S
~HAKUNA MATATA~

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:10 am
View Likes
Esmé says...

WD: Yes, I think I’ll post more, but not necessarily in chronological order :S And thanks for all the reviews you’ve been giving me, they were great! … Thanks to everyone who read The Yerrida, while we’re at it.

Jenita: I suppose the whole Empire thing is indeed a tad bit cliché, but it doesn’t really do much to the story. I mean, Lyssene and Yerrida are placed on a totally different continent, and the Empire is mentioned only so many times - the Emperor refuses to give Errin reinforcements for the war with the natives.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket