z

Young Writers Society

Writing in Spanish...

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:25 pm
Cuni says...

So, you must know me by now, or at least those of you who read my post at the Welcome forum.
I started, not to long ago, a fanfic on a wonderful game, "Clive Barker's Undying", because it has a great story. But, due to the fact that I have almost no time to play the game, I can't continue on writing a consistent text, so it's put on hold. This lack of time is caused, mainly, by my novel, who's four chapters away form the end. Yay! :D
Should I not be able to continue, there is another story I'd like to write into: Pan's Labyrinth, a great Spanish movie. But, due to the fact that it's spoke entirely in Spanish, writing an English fanfic on it would seem just... fake. So, I'd like to revolutionize the YWS and write a fanfic in Spanish! The thing is, do many of you understand Spanish? Or would it be just me?
Tell me, please.

P.S.: I don't want to be rude, but DON'T answer things like "I'm not saying no, but venturing on writing in other language is dangerous... Maybe you'll find difficulties" and things of the sort. I CAN write in Spanish.
"They are like scarecrows form a watermellon plantation. Do not fear them, for they can't do you any harm, and no good either".

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:31 pm
Emerson says...

I don't know who would ever tell you not to... they should be shot ^.^

I for one do not speak Spanish in the slightest, but there are several members out there who do. I actually praise you for considering this! I think it is wonderful, and once my skills in French are higher, I'll start writing in that. Among the other languages I randomly learn.

Are you fluent in both English and Spanish? This is out of curiousity, you're very sure of yourself in being able to speak Spanish so I'm assuming that maybe you have Spanish spoken within your family. I doubt someone who is taking Spanish in high school could write a good story in Spanish. It takes a few more years beyond high school to do so successfully, in any language.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:31 pm
tinny says...

The problem is that in school you tend to learn conversational, or more formal language. We tried a creative writing exercise in my German A2 class, and it just didn't work because none of us had learnt any german that could be used in such a way.

But that was the side of the course we did, so, meh, I don't know. This was the type of answer you didn't want, wasn't it XD

I think somewhere on the site, Nate specified that anything posted should be in English, though I could be wrong. I guess if you did write in spanish, it might be better to put it in the language usergroup or something.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at all...

EDIT: You should take more notice of Clau than me, she's much more wiser *nods*
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:59 pm
Snoink says...

I can read Spanish! ^_^

But I've posted things in Spanish, and nobody's killed me before. Still, I would like to see a fanfic in Spanish of Pan's Labyrinth. It would be neat-o. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

22 Reviews

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:07 pm
Cuni says...

Thank you all for the support. Here's the thing: I won't start right now, being that I have some things to do, as I stated before. Right now, I just started a story for the YWS Journal, so this fanfic could take a while to be born. But I sure hope it will.
And I say again: My hability with Spanish is not the question to be discussed here. I AM fluent in Spanish.
Let the discussion continue: Should I or should I not write a fanfic in Spanish?
"They are like scarecrows form a watermellon plantation. Do not fear them, for they can't do you any harm, and no good either".

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am
Flemzo says...

go for it. i don't speak spanish, but if i really wanted to critique it, there's always freetranslation.com ...

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:18 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Oh, I'd absolutely love to see a fanfic for El Laberinto del Fauno. I'm fluent in spanish, but actually if I wasn't I don't think I would have a problem with it being posted, like pretty much what everyone has said.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:50 pm
Leja says...

Me encanta el español, y quiero leer el fanfic!
Last edited by Leja on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:41 am
chocoholic says...

I used to teach myself Spanish, and I got really good. But I stopped and forgot everything. But seeing as there's nothing absolutely have to do, I'm planning on starting again. It would be great to help me with my Spanish.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:07 am
Reyu says...

I would attempt to read it. It would be like homework :) (My Spanish is bad, Rosetta stone is not helping!)
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

~George Carlin

The Completely Evil Plan.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:57 am
LowKey says...

Reyu --

Pimsleur rocks. FBI uses it when they want to learn a language fast. 1 month per lesson thing. (Spanish 1, Spanish 2, and Spanish 3 all add up to three months.) You become fluent fast. However, it only works for speaking. Rosetta stone is the one I would say for reading and writing. Pimsleur first, Rosetta Stone second.

Cuni--

Way cool idea! I love it! Man, this could really help me brush up. I can read/write/speak Spanish well enough, but I've been slacking. If even a few more people would do things like this, I think we would have a major language boom.

This would be great for the class room things on YWS, don't you think?

Can't wait to read it if you get into it!

~*Dreamer*~
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:35 am
Rydia says...

Of course it's a good idea and I would have a go at reading it. I've only studied Spanish for a year but I'm taking it as an AS next year (if I passed my GCSE with a B or higher) and I'd love to try and read it.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

22 Reviews

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:23 pm
Cuni says...

Seeing as everyone here supports the idea, I can't wait to get into it myself. And I asure you I will, as soon as I finish my novel... Which would be next week, for it's just ONE CHAPTER LEFT (I can't believe it myself!!!)
Well, thank you all...
See ya!

P.S.: Amelia, I hope this hepls: If what you want to say is "Leave: I don't need you anymore", the correct would be "Vete: Ya no te necesito."
"Vayate" it's not a correct conjunction of the verb "Ir" (Go).
Last edited by Cuni on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:03 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

I think it would be a fantasic idea...I can't read Spanish or anything but my dad speaks Spanish so yeah go for it!
“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:30 am
Icaruss says...

English is not my first language. I'm actually from Peru so I speak Spanish. Personally, I feel that while I handle English pretty well (I've spoken it for nearly all my life) I can write ten times better in Spanish when I really want to. It's because you know the way around the language you speak all the time, and you can really make dialogue and narration sound true. But still, I write in English. Because sometimes, I just do.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek