z

Young Writers Society

Is your goal to get published?

Random avatar

Reviews: 33
Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Barrio says...

The title pretty much says all i am asking. I want to know what peoples goals are for writing, i.e as a profession, leisure, to get published, to get published and have a 9-5 job, to make a masterpiece that critics will hail.

Where do you fit in?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:54 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Yes, I want to get published. An honest evaluation of my skills tells me that I am good enough to do this, but probably not to be the "next big thing" as it were. I've actually just finished a manuscript I have hopes for: see Gypsie Eyes on my featured works.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Well, it'd be nice to get something published; but I supose it all depends on whether you decide to go into the writing 'trade' professionally. I mean, yes, most of the people on this site who join technically say that they all want something published - which writer doesn't? - and they also say theat yes, they want to become a professional writer/author, but no-one can be sure what will happen in the furture, so for my answer, I'll just stick with;

If anyone would ever in a million years consider publising any of my work, then I'll jump on it.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:40 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I want to be an author. I've wanted to since I was about seven lol. But I also want to be a creative writing teacher. So to answer your question, I plan to be a writer but also have a job on the side.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:13 pm
Writersdomain says...

Interesting question. ^_^

I wouldn't say it's my goal to get published. It is my goal to tell a story and make a point; if that story gets out to the world, I will be elated, but my goal is not to write a publishable book simply because I want to be published, if that makes any sense. :wink:
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:20 pm
Fan says...

My answer to your question would probably be yes; I would love to be a published author. In fact, being a writer is the job I've set myself on achieving and I don't have much as a back-up. I even write when I'm meant to be doing R.E or something I find 'unneccessary'.

But I don't write for the sake of just getting published and being famous etc. I write to share my stories with people and to try and convey messages I might incoporate into them.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:30 pm
Emerson says...

I want to get published... So I suppose it is my goal. But I don't write solely to get published. I want to make an impact on people and make them say wow, so to do that getting published will be needed.

But even if every book I publish is a best seller and I'm richer than I rightfully should be, I will have a day job. I couldn't imagine spending my days just writing, I think I would surely die. I have to be doing something, outside of the house, or I will go crazy. Which is where the job as a college professor/translator/journalist comes in!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:40 pm
Meep says...

Writersdomain, that makes perfect sense and I totally understand.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:49 am
Icaruss says...

Of course we all want to get published. Doesn't mean we're gonna get published, though. I guess I'm just not a very optimist man, but when I write, I never think of submitting. I want to, and probably will some day, but I just don't consider myself very good.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:07 am
scotty.knows says...

I would love to get published. In fact, I have written a couple books already, long ones. The only thing I'm not sure about is if publishers will publish books as lone as mine. It's about 110,000 words long.
Long story short: A scifi/military book about a bodyguard and the daughter of a famous politician.
I've done about 5 complete rewrites and I've cut out about 10,000 words that weren't necessary. I'm pretty certain I can't tell my story in under this length. 110,000 words is about as long as the 3rd Harry Potter Book- The Prisoner of Azkaban. Does anyone else have this kind of problem? Should I just send it and cross my fingers?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:58 am
Icaruss says...

It's about as long as most novels.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 am
Pushca says...

I suppose that, yes, of course, I would like to be published, but if I never am, that's OK. It's the writing, not the having written, at least for me.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:44 am
BigBadBear says...

Yes, my dreams are to get published, and who wouldn't want it to be a best seller? I wouldn't really mind one way or another, just as long as people know my name. That is all I want. I want to walk around town and hear, "Did you get Jared's new book?" Yeah, that is what I want.

No, no way could I be a full time author. No way. I want to be a teacher, more specifically, a band teacher. I love music just as much as I love to write.
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:46 am
Meep says...

Scotty, 110,000 words isn't terribly long as far as I know. (If it is indeed about the length of Prisoner of Azkaban, then it's decent but not unheard of or unreadable.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:53 am
Cade says...

Don't we all? I'm not hoping to put the next great American novel out there...my goal is to get a few of my poems into literary magazines and the like, which I think is reasonable. Ideally, I would write for a living, but that's terribly impractical; I would like to follow a career that has to do with writing. At the moment, I think I would like to be an editor. I would hate teaching English, but I would absolutely love to teach creative writing at the high school level. I've also considered journalism and advertising.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki