z

Young Writers Society

What do you think of this title?

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:17 am
Audy says...

So I'm working on a series of novels right now, but first I want to get done with the first book. I had the characters, the story, and their world in my head for about 1-2 years and I've finally decided to get it over with and begin writing. So far I've got 20 pages done (this was yesturday) so naturally, I'm excited about it and cannot wait to talk about it.

Anyway, the title of the novel(s) have eluded me /forever/ so whenever I referred to it with my mom and friends, I just called it 'My story'. Finally though as I was reading Shakespeare, the /perfect/ title for the first book hit me and I immediately came up with titles for the other three.

So, what do you think of this title: Star Crossed
It's from Shakespeare's "star-crossed lovers" and I thought it would fit perfectly because one of the themes happens to be about forbidden love =) And it also fits nicely with my world because ...I dunno when I think of worlds and galaxies it makes me think of stars? o_o Okay so that's a stretch, but it works in my perspective.

The question is, do other people get it? What's the first thing you think of when you see 'Star Crossed'? Is it a title that will grab your attention? Or something you will dismiss? Something unoriginal? =P I'm open to all opinions. Even if it's just a title that's two words long :D

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Wolf says...

Ooooh I can totally relate to that situation- I've had the ideas (setting, plot, characters etc) of my story in my head since third grade. But I can't seem to find a suitable beginning for mine, so I've written random fragments from the middle :P
Anyways, I love that name! As soon as I saw it I was like- It's a book with love in it. Also, it sounds nice, and that's always a bonus ^^
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:52 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I really like that title. It's fairly original. I think I would probably pick it up and flip through it. Anything with stars intrigues me. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:33 pm
Cuni says...

Well, you see, the first thing that popped into my mind was Neil Gaiman's "Stardust", which, by the way, I never read, but I saw the movie and liked it A LOT. And the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard "Stardust" was a sense of motin, something fast and related to magic. A very fancy shiny world in which there's nothing ridiculous.
I felt something similar with this Star Crossed thing: First, a way too cool title. Second, something about destiny and, well, stars, isn't it?
I would definitely pick up the book and have a quick peek (or a long one, maybe even buy it).
"They are like scarecrows form a watermellon plantation. Do not fear them, for they can't do you any harm, and no good either".

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:18 am
Icaruss says...

I'm pretty confident I've heard that title before. It's good, but not very uncommon I guess.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:41 pm
Audy says...

Ooooh I can totally relate to that situation- I've had the ideas (setting, plot, characters etc) of my story in my head since third grade. But I can't seem to find a suitable beginning for mine, so I've written random fragments from the middle

Oh yeah I do that all the time, I write my stories out of order and then go back and rewrite some parts once its complete =P I find it easier that way. I always get so many ideas for the beginning but then when I have it down on paper I don't like it at all.

I really like that title. It's fairly original. I think I would probably pick it up and flip through it. Anything with stars intrigues me.

Thank you! :D Yes I agree, stars make for good symbolism.

I felt something similar with this Star Crossed thing: First, a way too cool title. Second, something about destiny and, well, stars, isn't it?

Thanks =) Yeah I had similar thoughts when I first saw Stardust, I haven't read the movie or the book but I think I might take a look at it now. My book though has nothing to do with stars really, but all to do with destiny, so you're right xD

I'm pretty confident I've heard that title before. It's good, but not very uncommon I guess.

Argh, I was afraid of that. I went to google it, there are some things like Star Crossed Destiny, Star Crossed Lovers. There are two movies with that name and then two books; one by Linda Collison came out 2006 and one by Mark Schreiber who also plays off the Romeo and Juliet thing. What a pity :cry: I'm still gonna use the title though --till I can come up with a better one :smt017

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian