z

Young Writers Society

Advanced Critiques Questions

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:02 pm
Carlito says...

So the story I'm currently working on is about a band. They are making their first album and what not and I've written like twelve songs as their songs.
What I'm wondering is could I post that on here to be advanced critiqued. Not the story, but the lyrics. Or do I really have to make twelve separate threads over on the song lyric board :)

Thanks much
-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 pm
Rydia says...

If it's just the lyrics, you've got to make twelve seperate threads on the lyrics board. Really. Or you could do the smart thing and make two or three threads, grouping some of the songs together in each or even put them all in one thread. When it's lyrics/ poetry, people don't always mind so much reading more than one and you'd get more attention in the lyrics forum than a location that's primarily for prose.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:38 am
Carlito says...

Alright, thanks Kitty! :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sun May 17, 2009 2:37 am
romance otaku says...

Okay, so i have reviewed before in this section. I then posted (after i reviewed) my work. Will it be deleted if i don't do another, or did the last one count?

Help is needed within a weeks time...
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 17, 2009 9:31 am
Rydia says...

I think there's quite often a little confusion as to how this section works. The one critique you did earlier is enough to justify the posting of your story but generally how this works is that if someone reviews your piece, you then return the favour by reviewing theirs. If they have nothing posted in the advanced critique section, it would be nice to review something else of theirs or donate them some points but it isn't necessary. They might actually ask you to review something of theirs at a later date...

This forum isn't the smoothest but a tip for snyone who wishes to make use of it is to pm people who have posted here recently and ask if they would like to trade, hence the 'Quid Pro Quo' system.
Writing Gooder

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sun May 17, 2009 3:35 pm
View Likes
romance otaku says...

Ah, i see. I assumed when Nate said that your post would be deleted that there was a program keeping track of advanced critiques, moderating the 'Quid Pro Quo'.

Thx (n_n),
~Otaku
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 17, 2009 3:50 pm
Rydia says...

It's moderated by moderators instead.
Writing Gooder

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:16 pm
Merlin34 says...

Confused here. If someone has already done an advanced critique of a story (or if they said they would but didn't), can you do one too?

Also, can you do your advanced critique in parts? Do some now and upload, do the rest later and upload?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm
Rydia says...

I don't understand the first part. More than one person can write an advanced critique for each piece. Whether another has written one or not does not affect what you do unless it is on your piece in which case you should repay them in kind.

As for doing it in parts, it's preferred you do it all at once and upload just once. If you are going to be a long time gone between parts or similar circumstance you can upload what you have so far but wherever possible, upload only one document for each advanced critique unless the author has asked you to do otherwise.
Writing Gooder

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:49 pm
Karsten says...

Hi there! I'd like to begin critiquing in this forum, but I can't always tell which pieces are in my preferred genres. Is there a chance you could ask people to put basic information, like the word count, genre and maybe a short synopsis/pitch, in the original post? I don't want to have to download fifteen documents to find a fantasy, is all. Thanks for listening. :)

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 pm
Juniper says...

Most people give a quick description, Karsten! Others don't, but if you see a story that might look interesting, feel free to ask the question in the respective threads. You can also PM the author, but asking in a thread is helpful for other potential critics. ;)

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

Reviews: 3
Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:18 pm
mamthew42 says...

So people say over and over again that this is for finished novels. What about unfinished ones? I don't mean like the first 6 or 7 chapters of a novel. If I only had that I'd post it in a different section. If I have the first 60-something chapters of a novel but it's unfinished, should I post it here or wait until I finish it?
Proud staff member of Kirby: Cosmic Chaos, a fangame.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:33 pm
Rydia says...

You should wait until you've finished it. That's probably not the response you were hoping for and it might sound a little ridiculous but this area is more for posting a novel that you feel is as complete and good as you can make it on your own. If you're looking for some inspiration to finish it, you could start posting it chapter by chapter in the main forum and then you'd still be able to post the complete version here later on.
Writing Gooder

Reviews: 3
Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 pm
mamthew42 says...

Naw, that's about what I was expecting. To me, that answer just means the difference between posting up my finished novel or my unfinished one.
Proud staff member of Kirby: Cosmic Chaos, a fangame.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:13 pm
Young gun says...

Is this place right for posting a book in the non-fiction category?
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes