z

Young Writers Society

Days I Consider Atheism

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 am
Kale says...

There are days, many of them, when I seriously consider atheism, when I see churches turned in upon themselves, congregations united on the surface, only, of an illusory euphoria they dare call shared inside a house of hollow stones and leaded glass ready to collapse in upon itself with the barest of breaths – a question asked with sincerity, out of a desire to learn more, learn deeply, is enough to unleash the implosion of whispers and slander, murmurs of shamefulness, condemnations, and gasps of corruption for only doubt could lead to questioning and questing for something more, and it is this congregation that to the world is faith’s face, a countenance with pretty lips and prettier tongue that sings words of Love and all that is to all with ears that would hear.
It sickens me,
their crass assumptions – broad strokes drawn by aspiring artists whose aim to animate truth is foiled by their imitating images drawn by others, drawn by others, drawn by others, until the origin is lost to time and the imitations so ingrained within all thought that nothing else is as good or true as the fabled first image which captured truth (for reproductions always pass on the essence of the original unaltered) – their willful blindness to other possibilities concerning right- and wrongness, that no one knows or even tries to know the “Why”s outside what has been laid before them.
They sing of Love with honeyed voices, of eternal compassion, forgiveness, and peace, like a choir of shepherds heaven sent to minister to lost sheep scattered and scarred by wolves, even as they yap like a pack of hungry dogs that have lost their master, slavering and snapping at one another’s too-hollow ribs to see who is most worthy, who can herd more sheep than whom.
They howl to the moon, having lost sight of, scent of, sound of their heart and shepherd,
long ago – I learned the ways of self-deception, and not long after, I learned as well self-righteousness and selfishness, and these I learned not from a man who shunned one God, but from a man who spread His word and from the men and women who followed him, blind, and growing blinder with each passing sermon.
I learned that faith could be abused,
used by those with no faith themselves, and that oftentimes the pretenders do a better job of living the lives they espouse than those who claim not to pretend (for they pretend nothing),
and I wonder if it would be better to not have faith myself.
But then I realize,
I have allowed other people – brothers and sisters so far estranged, we no longer know each other as kin, who are lost without knowing they are lost – to play my belief when none should play it but me, that it is the actions of the failures that I take issue with rather than the source of their ideals, that I want to believe,
for although there is undeniable ugliness in the world, in her people, there is also great beauty to be found – the sound and smell of rain after the chest-rattling rumble of a thunder, coiled; the blushing skies at sunrise and -set; the land itself and all creatures upon it, above it, within it, beside it; the flow of forces and of time; relationships in form and number;
and I would know the source of all this beauty, of all beauty that ever was and will ever be,
for if there is no source, how did it come to be, and
if there is no Love, what is the point of being?
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:02 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Heys Kyll,

I'm rather interested in this, as I've been dabbling in the prose poetry recently. I think that we, perhaps view the genre differently however. I run with the feeling that prose poetry is almost stream of consciousness writing. Kind of a supple movement of brain on to page. Here, you have what I might have called more a somewhat prosaic discussion. There are two lines I like, and touch, particularly. One of which is your last line, which speaks more of the poem than the rest of the text. "if there is no Love, what is the point of being?" is the kind of thing I expect from my version of prose poetry. It's poetry that just happens to be in a prose form. The line being "images drawn by others, drawn by others, drawn by others" because this is... something. This hit me, perfectly. Repetition is something I am coming to like very much, when used well, and it's used very well here. It drives your point home exactly how I imagine you wanted it to be driven. Much more so than the rest of your text, which is for the most part forgettable.

I didn't want to say forgettable - rather I didn't realise it was what I was going to say until I said it. You have what would be a fairly good non-fiction piece here, but it lacks feeling. The feeling I got is in the repetition, the last line, the evocative lines. The rest of your piece is lacklustre and in some places entirely overused. The lamb is an image which Christianity is very invested in, for the obvious flock/Jesus connotations, but I think that we know that, we already know the congregation/flock imagery. I think I expected something new, something which would turn me to thinking like you do, or seeing why. You tell me why - the honeyed voices which have no idea, which twist what you know and believe and the lies bound up in the suggestion of righteousness and so. But to tote a very well known idea: I need you to show not tell. Prose poetry is still about showing, about detailing your story but with the same elegance of the poem.

As an experiment I think you're working in the right direction but this needs a little more poem a little less prose. Of course, take that with a grain of salt! My own works are drenched in the kind of nonsensical consciousness which lends more easily to poetry, rather than the more grounded narrative you have here. Still, I would consider looking at imagery which is more interesting, perhaps which more accurately defines how you feel. Talking about dogs yapping etc, is okay to indicate a din, but in terms of people I think I'd have liked something a little more visceral. This may just be a case of altering a little bit of word usage. But this, I think will come from experimenting a bit more all around.

Tell me if you write more, I'd like to see it.

:)
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:56 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I really loved this, and I only have two comments to make for improvement.

You have a lot of beautiful imagery and figurative language, but what you have right now is some very poetic prose - to make it a poem you just need to break it up into lines and stanzas, although they can be very long lines if you wish. Here's an example:

"It sickens me,

their crass assumptions –
broad strokes drawn by aspiring artists whose aim to animate truth
is foiled by their imitating images drawn by others,
drawn by others,
drawn by others,
until the origin is lost to time and the imitations so ingrained within all thought
that nothing else is as good or true as the fabled first image which captured truth
(for reproductions always pass on the essence of the original unaltered)
– their willful blindness to other possibilities concerning right-
and wrongness,
that no one knows or even tries to know the “Why”s
outside what has been laid before them.

They sing of Love with honeyed voices,
of eternal compassion, forgiveness, and peace,
like a choir of shepherds heaven sent to minister to lost sheep scattered and scarred by wolves,
even as they yap like a pack of hungry dogs that have lost their master,
slavering and snapping at one another’s too-hollow ribs to see who is most worthy,
who can herd more sheep than whom."

Obviously you don't have to break it up like this; that was just an example. Breaking it up can really put some good emphasis where you want people to pay more attention.

The other thing is - I mean, I'm Catholic, and to some extent I know what you're talking about: All the people who say they're Christian but act unchristian, for whom faith is more a positive self-image to project to the world than an actual practice. Frankly, they make me angry, the narrow-minded people, the preachy people, the people who try to force their beliefs on you and say that if you don't believe exactly as they believe then you're going to hell - because then everyone thinks we're all like that, and I'm standing there saying, "But I'M not!" But anyway, how this relates to your poem is, THIS is what your poem seems to be more about - the people who abuse religion (ignoring the "thou shalt not kill" commandment to go on the Crusades and kill Muslims in the name of God), etc.

Given that, I'm not sure about the title of your poem. Because it seems to me that this poem is more about a disillusion of the people of the "faith community" than an actual doubt in God - God actually entered very little into it. So really in the poem you didn't seem so much to be considering the fact that there might not be a god, but rather despairing about the people who supposedly believe in one and the way they treat each other and other human beings. What you seem to be considering more is the act and use of faith. So I would say, change your title to reflect that.

~Blue

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:15 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I think I expected something new, something which would turn me to thinking like you do, or seeing why.

Yes, yes, yes!

This is not new. This is just complaining. It is pretty complaining, I'll grant it that, with interesting line breaks. And the part towards the end where you talk about love (the last three lines are my favorite) is interesting as well! But, it's not pretty enough! You are talking about Christianity, for God's sake. I mean... how much beautiful imagery does Christianity have? How many symbols does it have? And you're only using a couple?

And your language! It is boring, especially considering your competition that you have... you are trying to make this complaint unique, but this complaint has been stated by many before you, and in very powerful ways so that your poem looks lackluster in comparison. Compare this poem with John 2:13-16 or John 10:1-18, and it feels diluted. And there's other verses too, but you get the point.

Anyway! If you tighten it up, it will feel better. If you spruce up your imagery, it will feel better. If you make it less like a complaint and more like an explosion of passion, it will feel better. So, try out new things with it and see what happens. But right now, it's dull.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:07 am
LiesOnLies says...

Ooookay
First off, this doesn't even seem like a poem. Just a long..long..long rant.

Some things I agree with because we all know that every church is full of hypocrites. However, how does that make you believe that there is no God? you didn't really go into that. It seems like you are more leaning towards agnosticism rather than atheism.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:12 pm
SwallowedByInsanity says...

I've actually written a few topics about being an atheist and why I chose to become one, and my main reasons consist of the same reasons you feel the need to convert. This was very well written and definitely made me happy that sometimes other people can see it the way I see it. Not that I'm a heartless person who will burn in hell, but someone who sees the flaws of religion.
I think you portrayed your opinion very well, and made your point clear. Excellent piece of work!
Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote.

The insanity at my fingertips is not even slightly coherent.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:16 pm
michaeld says...

This was a beautiful, beautiful piece. I enjoyed every moment of reading it! I really liked this one quote. It sent chills down my spine.

Kyllorac wrote:if there is no Love, what is the point of being?

I am quite interested in how you capitalized "Love" as if it were a holy thing. I'm not sure if you did this on purpose, but it definitely sparked interest, as in the bible, God is capitalized. Whether or not it was on purpose or not, you should keep it! Once again, this was an amazing poem! I love the style and your word choice is phenomenal! It definitely added meaning and the feelings portrayed in this piece are extraordinary! Keep writing! BRAVO
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
— J.K. Rowling